• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The 50KW number comes from 200 Amp service. 220v x 200 A = ? around 50KW
    It was in an article I read about charging the new electric vehicles - Their fast charge mode (available at dedicated multiple car charging stations) exceeds a modern house's 50KW service.
    And that's a big problem with today's distribution systems.
    A decade ago, service drops and transformers were sized using a "diversity factor".
    In a nutshell, things(secondary conductors and transformers) were designed at an overload factor of 1.25. If the transformer fed more than one meter.
    Theory was, 4 houses on one transformer, all 4 air conditioners would never come on at once.
    Problem with new "digital" thermostats. If the power has been off, every transformer on the circuit will energize at once. Every air conditioner will try to start at once.
    That is an impossible cold load pickup to endure.
    Old school mercury thermostats or apportioned delays on the digital thermostats is the only answer.
    Guns International

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Think about a propane powered gen set, the 4 to 5 kw units are portable, and no old fuel or storage problems.
    BBQ tank will last quite awhile,keep a few around, and you can cook on the grill

My generator is dual fuel with propane and gasoline. I had six 5-gallon gas cans, but in February, three ended up at my son's house that I still need to retrieve. He lost power, but we didn't. I just put the gas in my truck every few months and refill the cans. The Buc-ees in Waller has ethanol free gas.

I also installed a transfer switch to run electricity in certain rooms in the house and the freezer in the garage. I did not connect to the A/C units, but I keep a window A/C unit in the garage that I install in our bedroom window.

One project that I have yet to do is to weld an adaptor to the spark arrestor and then attach a car muffler setup to it (you can search on YouTube). This should make it run more quiet.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The 50KW number comes from 200 Amp service. 220v x 200 A = ? around 50KW
    It was in an article I read about charging the new electric vehicles - Their fast charge mode (available at dedicated multiple car charging stations) exceeds a modern house's 50KW service.

Yeah it’s crazy to think how some EV’s can pull 300 amps…they even have liquid cooled cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If you want to power your central air heater: its igniter might require you to have a jumper that connects the generator's neutral to the ground.
    Just make sure you have a generator that can have that done to it. Many smaller 120 volt inverter generators have ground centered between neutral and hot. I believe the Honda e2000i and similar models are the most common that have this problem. It will probably just trip the breaker on the generator if you do that but be careful and test first or risk destroying things or killing people. The second best thing to do in that situation would probably be to shield and isolate the generator and tie the generator outlet ground to the building electrical system ground (the best thing would be to get a generator that keeps neutral at ground).

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    You got something on the side of your nose.
    Lol but there are self-serving reasons for it too. Partial restoration of service (blackout to brownout) can damage the electronics and the compressor motor. Service that is completely out then completely restored several times in a short time (once a minute or even less) can reduce the life of components or directly damage them. Generally, your devices/appliances will be better off if you wait a few minutes until you're reasonably sure that service is stable before you restore power to them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Lol but there are self-serving reasons for it too. Partial restoration of service (blackout to brownout) can damage the electronics and the compressor motor. Service that is completely out then completely restored several times in a short time (once a minute or even less) can reduce the life of components or directly damage them. Generally, your devices/appliances will be better off if you wait a few minutes until you're reasonably sure that service is stable before you restore power to them.

I generally go about shutting things down when the power outage isn't restored immediately. Cuts down on the spike when the power is restored, and I'll slowly turn things back on as needed.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    After the freeze and being out of power for 3.5 days, I ordered a 12,000W generator. I wired it up with 8awg via dryer plug into the panel, got a natural gas conversion kit, ran 1/2" gas pipe to it, and built a cover so it can run in bad weather. It will run off gas, propane, and natural gas. If I need to use it, it will power the entire house, A/C and large appliances seemlessly, and not need attention until the street lights come on and it's time to turn it off.
    I made a YouTube video going over the setup here.

This is similar to the way my home is wired. I start and run it on a regular schedule as it uses gasoline.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    This is similar to the way my home is wired. I start and run it on a regular schedule as it uses gasoline.

If you or the person you quoted, are not using a transfer switch, or some sort of isolation from the power grid, you are illegally supplying power to your home. If someone is electrocuted because of backfeed from your power source, you can be held criminally responsible.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    If you or the person you quoted, are not using a transfer switch, or some sort of isolation from the power grid, you are illegally supplying power to your home. If someone is electrocuted because of backfeed from your power source, you can be held criminally responsible.
    I disconnect and lockout breaker from utility grid before starting generator.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I disconnect and lockout breaker from utility grid before starting generator.

That bears being mentioned, for the reasons I stated. You nor the person you quoted said that, and I felt it needed to be mentioned just so everyone knows the safe and legal procedure for powering up your home from a generator.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I also place a sign on fence near utility source informing power company that I am disconnected from grid. Everyone using a generator should be certain it is properly grounded as well.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    That bears being mentioned, for the reasons I stated. You nor the person you quoted said that, and I felt it needed to be mentioned just so everyone knows the safe and legal procedure for powering up your home from a generator.
    It's getting posted a lot, but it's important enough that a few more occasional reminders won't hurt.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It's getting posted a lot, but it's important enough that a few more occasional reminders won't hurt.

I don't know if it's just an oversight that some forget to mention it, or what, but it bears mentioning because it could possibly kill a person that is working to restore power. They already have a dangerous enough job, that they sure as hell don't need the added danger of working on what is suppose to be dead line, and it's not because someone didn't do things properly, safely and legally.

Top Bottom