• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Bought a 3200/4000 Watt Generator from Harbor Freight in May. I am still on the original tank of gas (which has fuel stabilizer in it) and I run it every 1-2 months for 30 minutes just to keep things clean. I also always turn the fuel to off and run it till it dies. I have not had a problem with it till yesterday - if I tried to move it from about half choke to run (no choke), it would start to sputter like it's running out of gas. I have a hard time believing that the carb could be dirty after using it for 7-8 months with stabilizer in it. What else could it be? I have contacted HF to see what I can try. Youtube video here: https://youtu.be/23MhHaX1gaA
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That issue is almost always caused by a dirty carb.

Usually fixed by running it to break down any varnish, or running with an additive like seafoam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Also, check the fuel filter if it has one and dump the gas for fresh gas. The temp swings will cause a ton of condensation in the tank.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Y'all think the carb could get that dirty in 7 months?

I will put some seafoam in the tank and run some carb cleaner through the intake (harder to do without a real throttle).

Really think I should dump the 7 month old gas with stabil in it for new gas? I guess it can't hurt. What do I do with 2.5 gallons of old gas?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I will put some seafoam in the tank and run some carb cleaner through the intake (harder to do without a real throttle).

Really think I should dump the 7 month old gas with stabil in it for new gas? I guess it can't hurt. What do I do with 2.5 gallons of old gas?

I dump the old gas in my farm truck gas tank and drive it.
    The EFI doesn't seem to care.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My guess is the fuel jet is being blocked by trash of some sort. Depending on the carb, you might be able to get to them without totally pulling the carb. If you can see them, computer duster and a long straw. Blow them out.

Next guess is the gas tank cap isn't venting. It's sucking fuel against a vacuum.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Check your fuel filter and for any cracks in your lines. Don't rely too heavily on carb clean. It doesn't work very well on films.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    So order of events:
    Got it warmed up
    Removed air filter
    Shot carb cleaner in intake - no white smoke - gave it several good bursts just for good measure though
    Ensured all accessible carb bolts were tight
    Drained gas
    Replaced with new gas
    Ran again
    Ran without gas cap
    Removed spark plug - immaculate
    Reinstalled plug
    Ran again
    adjusted idle screw
    put idle screw back into original location

Nothin. Still only runs at half choke, and dies when I load it with the same tools (near max capacity) as when I first bought it. Would still probably work for my fridge and 6,000 btu a/c, but won't run full load, which really bothers me. I guess I could try some seafoam.
    Or the only other thing would be to rebuild the carb, but with only 8-10 hours on it, gas always had stabilizer, gas always ran out of carb, I just find a dirty carb hard to be the culprit, but I can't imagine what else it would be.

ETA: no fuel filter, just a screen at the top of the gas tank.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Dang.
    I hope HF gives you a replacement then.
    I've got the same gen set and haven't had a bit of trouble in 10 months.
    Keep us posted on developments.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Dang.
    I hope HF gives you a replacement then.
    I've got the same gen set and haven't had a bit of trouble in 10 months.
    Keep us posted on developments.

Hopefully. Unfortunately I did not get the extended warranty, but with under 10 hours on the genny and 7 months old, I would hope they would make it right. I sent them an email Sunday night with no response today (just asking for tech support, nothing else). Fingers crossed. If I get a replacement I will run it every month for sure. I know they say 3 months, but it definitely wouldn't hurt anything. Will keep you posted.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014

Yes because it does not happen all at once.

I'd clean the carb and run it on fresh gas. If the old gas doesn't look cloudy use it 50/50 with fresh gas. Once you know it's fixed.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Before you rebuild it, pickup a bottle a Mechanic in a Bottle at Home Depot. They sell it around the lawn equipment. I've used it on mowers and lawn equipment that wouldn't start or ran rough after sitting over winter. On engines that won't start, you drain the gas and put it in at full strength then let it sit over night after cranking the engine to get the product in the carb. The stuff works too. I had a pressure washer that wouldn't start after sitting 5 years with gas in it. Also had a edger that would start for 3 years. Both work great today.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Or the only other thing would be to rebuild the carb, but with only 8-10 hours on it, gas always had stabilizer, gas always ran out of carb, I just find a dirty carb hard to be the culprit, but I can't imagine what else it would be.
    You just need to clean the jets. It probably had crud in the tank or lines from the factory.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    main jet clogged

This. It can happen from sitting, I've switched over to Marine Stabil as the regular stuff isn't really formulated for gasohol, and it evaporates quick, leaving behind all kinds of nasty sticky stuff that looks for all the world just like varnish.

One way to help is to always turn the gas off and let the genny run until it sucks the carb dry, then there is less to evaporate. If you pull the float bowl you can usually use some brake cleaner or something to get the worst of it off, and then slap some seafoam around and then put it back together.

I've got way too much experience doing this with my pressure washer.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Gonna try seafoam for 1-2 hours tonight, in a very strong concentration (half bottle to 1 gallon of gas).

This. It can happen from sitting, I've switched over to Marine Stabil as the regular stuff isn't really formulated for gasohol, and it evaporates quick, leaving behind all kinds of nasty sticky stuff that looks for all the world just like varnish.

One way to help is to always turn the gas off and let the genny run until it sucks the carb dry, then there is less to evaporate. If you pull the float bowl you can usually use some brake cleaner or something to get the worst of it off, and then slap some seafoam around and then put it back together.

I've got way too much experience doing this with my pressure washer.

I run it dry every time! Float bowl is just the half cylinder on bottom of carb? Take it off, clean everything I see? Am I going to need a gasket?

If I decide to disassemble the carb for cleaning, am I going to need gaskets? I imagine they are hard to find for Harbor Freight engines.
    Is anything in there adjustable that I could screw up? I am mechanically inclined, but I have never cleaned a carb other than running carb cleaner through one while running.

Top Bottom