• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

It used to be a small town but it is growing like weeds. Already built up all the way around the airport too which the city council hates with prejudice. They've been trying to shut down the airport for years but have not won yet. It is coming, though. Just waiting on a bigger bribe from developers. Rumor is that they want to put a Walmart in there. I think they'd rather build a lot of housing units because they will sell for much more.
    Lots more road construction around Georgetown too to help with all the traffic.

Georgetown is growing and is not the small town it used to be. I knew it was growing fast, just did not know we made #1 on the nationwide scale. Wow.
    Hurley's Gold

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

It used to be a small town but it is growing like weeds. Already built up all the way around the airport too which the city council hates with prejudice. They've been trying to shut down the airport for years but have not won yet. It is coming, though. Just waiting on a bigger bribe from developers. Rumor is that they want to put a Walmart in there. I think they'd rather build a lot of housing units because they will sell for much more.

Georgetown is growing and is not the small town it used to be. I knew it was growing fast, just did not know we made #1 on the nationwide scale. Wow.

Guess they surpassed Conroe? In a way that makes me happy (slowing development around here) but I also feel bad for those who have to deal with the nonsense that such growth brings.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

”City Councils” never realize the value of an Airport to their town until it is way too late !

Greed + Ignorance = BIG Mistakes !

Contact the “AOPA”; they offer all sorts of “Save our Airport” services & materials @ no cost.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    When I lived in Austin in 1985 Georgetown was a whole other town, disconnected from Austin by miles of pasture. :)

A popular Austin bar band at that time made fun of Pflugerville as a podunk hell-scape. I bought this album from them in-person...

<>

Well, Pflugerville does seem to have a lock on new BAD franchise restaurants.

Couldn’t find one decent meal there. . . . .

leVieux

zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Well, Pflugerville does seem to have a lock on new BAD franchise restaurants.

Couldn’t find one decent meal there. . . . .
    Unfortunately, it's true: Pflugerville's restaurant scene is an absolute disaster. And this is only possible because the population has poor taste. I literally saw people on Reddit defending Torchy's. And, they franchises keep opening new places like "54". The non-franchise places are mostly no better, just look at El-Ricon.

There used to be a little secret sandwich shop not far from Red's, ran by a French black woman, but the pandemic did it a number. She had buckwheat crepes, quiches, and pretty phenomenal subs.

P.S. El Taquito is quite good. Just watch out for hours, it's closed 2 days a week, and opens at odd hours at other days.

mdf9183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    I just don't get the bigger is better idea that some cities and towns subscribe to. I live half way between Bastrop and Smithville. Bastrop is growing and it shows with all the fast food places popping up on Hywy 71. Smithville on the other hand has a city ordinance that restaurants have to have some inside seating and a few other ordinances that discourages fast food places. Bastrop also has a lot of the big box stores Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes whereas Smithville has Brookshire Brothers and that is about it. Still a lot of mom and pop stores and a small town feeling and not much growth.

zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Smithville on the other hand has a city ordinance that restaurants have to have some inside seating and a few other ordinances that discourages fast food places.
    It's great if it works for the residents, but I'm not a fan. I was at the gun range in Upton for a Tricon class a couple of months ago and I had an option to go to Smithville or Bastrop for lunch. Smithville was a little closer, but there was a big uncertainty as to what I'm going to find there. I could not afford to drive there and get nothing. So I had to go to Bastrop where they have a Chick-Fil-A. This also poses a problem for anyone stopping at the Smithville airport. The vending machine is about the only food source.

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I just don't get the bigger is better idea that some cities and towns subscribe to. I live half way between Bastrop and Smithville. Bastrop is growing and it shows with all the fast food places popping up on Hywy 71. Smithville on the other hand has a city ordinance that restaurants have to have some inside seating and a few other ordinances that discourages fast food places. Bastrop also has a lot of the big box stores Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes whereas Smithville has Brookshire Brothers and that is about it. Still a lot of mom and pop stores and a small town feeling and not much growth.
    I like going to Bastrop because there's hardly any traffic going up Hwy 304 and it's less than a hour away. I usually go to Academy or Texas Boot Company for some shopping.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    When you make some long trips through Texas you see more construction on roads, hiways, interstates, commercial, and housing then you can imagine. It's not a good thing.

Top Bottom