• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    El Paso
    Don't know if any of you are into fixed-blade knives, but if you are you should look into this one: Gerber LMF-II Infantry Knife. Comes in Coyote Brown or Olive Drab. Included in the purchase is a sheath to strap to your thigh and is also MOLLE vest compatible. Blade sharpener is built into the sheath itself. Also comes with a separate belt/strap cutter in its own case (also MOLLE compatible).

Now for the meat and potatoes: The knife itself has some weight to it (as can be expected with fixed-blade knives). The grip is rubberized and feels pretty comfortable. On the butt the knife sports a sharpened tip that assists in punching through plexi-glass, glass, and other cockpit/vehicle doors and has a flattened part that acts as a hammer.

Just a brief description, I think it's a great knife. If you want to find out more check out Gerber's website or just google it.
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've got one I use as a camping knife. It's been very sturdy. It would make a crappy fighting knife IMO, but it's a good alternative to carrying a (heavier) hatchet.

The version that comes with the shroud line/webbing cutter is the ASEK (Aircrew Survival and Escape Knife). You can get the knife without the cutter, and I think you can even find them without the sheath. Personally, I just use the inner sheath, and have never used the frog for it. The knife lives in my backpack when I'm carrying it, since it's not really a "I need to cut something right now" kind of knife for me (that's what my pocket knife is for). It's a "hang on, let me drop my pack so we can hack through this crap" kind of knife.

I've split so much seasoned oak firewood with mine, it's ridiculous. On the last trip I took with it, I was clearing the camp site of cactus, wound up hacking through several and smacking the blade into rocks. The knife doesn't care. It just keeps on going. The rocks barely dulled the edge which isn't going to be razor sharp. It's not for that. This thing is for hacking through stuff. It's for duty where a machete might be too much, but you still need some chopping power, or you want to baton it through logs.

Overall, I'm really happy with the one I've got.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Old thread, but I just ordered one...

1665961486726.jpeg

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I've been eye-ballin this Cold Steel SRK, or more likely the SRK-C compact. I have better knives but I just like the looks of this SRK. It doesn't look like it but it is said to have a full tang through the handle. Their "SK-5" steel is supposedly equivalent to D2, has a black finish but not DLC, and less than $70, or $54 for the compact version. They have 2 other more premium steel choices but they are way too proud of them.

38CKE__15209.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    LMF II arrived today. Nice knife, very solid. Nylon sheath is cheaper than the leather one I got with my Mk I 40 years ago, but that's to be expected (it's more "tactical").

Some clown on Amazon claims these were copies/fakes because of the 'Gerber' stamp on the blade versus the older mountain with a sword sticking in it logo, but guess what's on Gerber's website?!?

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    LMF II arrived today. Nice knife, very solid. Nylon sheath is cheaper than the leather one I got with my Mk I 40 years ago, but that's to be expected (it's more "tactical").

Some clown on Amazon claims these were copies/fakes because of the 'Gerber' stamp on the blade versus the older mountain with a sword sticking in it logo, but guess what's on Gerber's website?!?

I have one of those. My dumb ass sliced a finger to the bone with it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A few months ago a Gerber Strongarm found its way into my collection.
    Been playing around with it a little bit. Seems like a pretty good knife.
    Gerber makes some nice knives.
    You’ll be happy with your purchase.

Yeah, I couldn't resist adding a Strongarm to the collection. Ordered a black one with the serrated blade. It'll be here tomorrow.

First thing I'm going to do is see how accurate this article is!

Gerber StrongArm vs Gerber LMF II: What’s the Difference?
    1667771557074.png

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Gerber lost me when Fiskar bought them man years ago.

Why? Fiskars (plural) was founded in 1649 and is the oldest business still operating in Finland and one of the oldest companies in the world. They are regularly regularly among Finland's most valued brands.

I own several of their products, to include their famous orange-handled scissors, and have always found them to be of the utmost quality.

Also, in 2017 Fiskars celebrated Finland's centenary by donating the historically valuable Dagmar park in Källviken to Metsähallitus for a hundred years. The nominal annual rent for the area of approximately 40 hectares (99 acres) is one euro. The area includes natural forests, natural sandy beaches, cliffs, sea, and the Dagmar fountain. On the initiative of Fiskars, the area became an official nature conservation area.

I don't get why being owned by a Finnish company who still allows the majority of their knives to be made in the USA would be a negative to anyone!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just some initial impressions of the StrongArm...

It is more of a "utility" knife compared to the LMF II, not necessarily a bad thing and which probably means it will be used more. It feels "light" compared to the LMJ II which is 4.5 few ounces heavier. It is also more slender, which makes it easier to wear on a belt.

To be honest, I like the "heft" of the LMF II, it's got a thicker blade and just feels more rugged. It is clearly a survival instrument and will take more of a beating than the StrongArm although the latter is a solid knife.

The StrongArm has the more versatile scabbard which is also easier to configure.

If I had to choose between the two, my preference would be the LMF II as I like the ASEK aspects; but I suspect the majority would select the StrongArm due to its utilitarian nature. The good news is either are a great choice, and if you can I would recommend both!!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Gerber was a good product during the 70's but has tried to survive on their name rather than quality.
    Indeed they were some thing to behold at one point. I shaved the edge off a Buck 110 once with a Gerber. I had one of their boot knives that served me well. I sold it to a friend before I moved to Texas, I'm sure he still has it.

Top Bottom