Patriot Mobile

German Shepard Mix Needs New Home...PLEASE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Ok, here's the deal...

I recently decided to get my first dog since moving out on my own.
    I adopted this awesome, little German Shepard mix pup that the shelter estimates to be between 8-12 months of age.
    I got him on 1-11-13 and then today at work I found out that my schedule changed from 9 hr shifts to 12 hour shifts with an hour drive each way.
    I live alone and can't see having him crated for 14 hours while I'm gone at work, out for a few hours when I get home, back in the crate overnight, out for 30 minutes before I go to work and then back in for 14 hours until I get back from work only to repeat the cycle.
    Its just not right and he deserves so much more.

He is beyond sweet and only wants play, love and be loved and with the new schedule I just can't give him what he needs to be happy and have a good life.

He is 90% housebroken and by that I mean that he hasn't had an accident in the crate at all but there has been a time where I took him out, he did his business and then we came back in and he did some more business. This only happened once so far.
    He is SUPER energetic.
    He is probably about 40 lbs or so at the moment.
    He is fixed and was fully vetted before leaving the shelter with the exception of a heart worm check.
    I've also put a month of Frontline on him.

I really don't want to give him up so soon after getting him but this is what's best for him.

I did look into doggy day care but none of them will be open and available for me to pick him up after I get off work.

If you have any questions please let me know.

I'm located in Little Elm and you're welcome to come get him or if you're a good ways off I'd be willing to meet you in the middle somewhere.
    Just just let me know.

I'll include whatever you need that I've already bought for him....toys, food, food bowls, bed, treats, etc....(All brand new)

Remy1_zps059a3c9b.jpg

Remy2_zpsdc402535.jpg

Remy3_zpsea346a2d.jpg
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've already got two.

If you stick with him, you won't need a crate while you're working, or at night. He'll calm down in a while and be totally find out of the crate while you're gone. Funny enough, one thing that can help a dog with separation anxiety is a second dog.

Good luck with whatever you do, either making or finding a good home for him.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've already got two.

If you stick with him, you won't need a crate while you're working, or at night. He'll calm down in a while and be totally find out of the crate while you're gone. Funny enough, one thing that can help a dog with separation anxiety is a second dog.

Good luck with whatever you do, either making or finding a good home for him.

This. Too many people give up too soon. A dog isn't just supposed to adapt to you, you have to adapt as well.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    It's not a matter of adapting....its a matter of being gone for 14 hrs three days in a row, off a day and then back on for two more.
    If the schedule hadn't been messed with I'd keep him. I just don't see him having the quality of life he deserves right now with the new schedule I was just given.

As far as being outside...its way too cold right now. I think it was like 25* when I woke up.
    Sure it warms up some during the day, I'm just not comfortable leaving him alone, unsupervised just yet...inside or out.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Unfortunately I feel very sorry for your pet. Wish I could help but agree with the above. Get a pet walker/sitter to check on and let him out during the day. Work with him to get him out of the crate and fully trained. Some pets take time to get to the point where they can be left alone without incident for that period of time while you are working but this will eventually happen. As long as you are spending time with him while you are home he will have an excellent quality of life and you will have the love of a dog which is unconditional.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Do you have time to drive midway between DFW and SA?

My Labrador could use a buddy.

I do.
    There is one guy ahead of you who seems pretty enthusiastic about getting Remy but I'm trying to get with the shelter to make sure I don't breech the contract I had with them before I do anything.
    If anything falls though with the other guy I'll be sure to let you know.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Glad to see he's getting offers. I'd hate to see him have to go back to the rescue. He's a good looking pup.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Good luck to you brother! I just gave my beagle back to the Houston Beagle Rescue group. She was insanely high drive and I do not have the time give her the quality of life she deserves. Its awfully hard to do, but it is worth it to give them a happier, more fulfilled life.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    We have 4 dogs, one of which is a lab named Remy. I wish I could help, but there are good folks out there looking to add to their family.

Top Bottom