Join TexasGunTalk

Get Flu Shots Now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mowingmaniac 24/7, Aug 21, 2019.

1. gdr_11

gdr_11 Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I refused to take flu shot when they used to use a live virus. The new ones are not and the chances to have an adverse reaction are much slimmer. I get one every October. Haven't had the flu since but, then again, I no longer come in contact with hundreds of people a week like I used to and I am more conscious of hygiene, hand sanitization, etc. Plus, at my age, bad breath is enough to keep most carriers at arms length

FireInTheWire and Southpaw like this.
  2. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Never said it was bad. Do whatever you want. Just pointed out my experience that the one time I get the flu was right after the one time I got a shot to prevent it. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it.

I'll take my chances and be fine/fluless like I was for decades before.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about washing your hands well and often. Also not touching your face, eyes, mouth helps too. Remember my kids' pediatrician telling me that's how he worked with sick kids all day every day and never got sick. I took it to heart and practice it and have hardly been sick since.....except for the one time I got a flu shot. Lmao...

3. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I've read that the shot's effectiveness wears off over time. So the down side to getting it now means it may be too weak to do you any good in the late winter when the Flu is more common.

But if the season is starting early, maybe getting the shot early is the thing to do. If the shot does wear off or weaken 3/4 of the way through the season, does anyone know if you can get another shot or a booster to get you through the remaining portion?

4. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    Condescending snark. Wow.

5. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    No, not snark, a bit of truth telling satire

There are quite a number of folks who distrust and malign the medical profession in general.

I'm not one of them.

6. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Well-Known

May 8, 2017
    I do get a strange urge to turn in my guns when I get the flu shot

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire likes this.
  7. birddog

birddog bullshit meter

Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    My two closest friends are physicians. Eye surgeon and anesthesiologist. Both will tell you docs make mistakes. Some, more than others.

8. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    40 yrs ago I got my first flu shot. I was sicker than a dog for abt a week. I said never again. Then when I eased past 60 I noticed most folks dying from flu were old. Dr confirmed when older it really helps. Now I get one every year and seldom get any reaction, maybe a sore arm for a day or 2. Dr's office show the shots available next month and I will be there.

birddog likes this.
  9. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    birddog,

Yes, they do.

Some 'way' more than others.

Like you, I have friends in the medical profession.

One friend, a surgeon, told me while in med school they had an absolutely brilliant student with boards for hands.

The class as a group prayed he would go into research and not become a hands on MD.

Luckily, for the world he 'did' go into research.

birddog likes this.
  10. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Historically, every year that I do not get a flu shot - I get the flu.
    I haven't had the flu in 20 years.