• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    an old computer. Do Y'all know which parts I can just chunk and which ones have sensitive info (bank records and such)?

IMG_0344_zps825e7690.jpg
    DK Firearms

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    The hard drive(s). There is some claim that with enormously expensive tools, information can be gleaned from the memory chips(those 2 little boards plugged vertically into the big board) after they are powered off, but most humans probably do not have info worth enough to worry about that if it is even possible.

Depending on the age the hard drive can be reused or sold but you should scrub it with a "data shredder" tool first. I usually just take my hard drives apart and use the data platters for coasters.

I see what looks like a hard drive just forward of the power supply (the box with the 3 prong plug and red slide switch) There could be one in the little metal frame just forward the fan sitting on the big heat sink or in the metal frame just below that(those 2 look more like cd or dvd drives though)

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Just save the hard drive. It'll be still mounted in the case in that photo, about 3.5" wide with one cable going to the power supply, the others going to the motherboard.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Take out the hard drive and use it as a target, and give the rest to Goodwill. They salvage parts and components. Do not throw in the trash, there are harmful materials that don't need to go into the ground watr.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Take out the hard drive and use it as a target, and give the rest to Goodwill. They salvage parts and components. Do not throw in the trash, there are harmful materials that don't need to go into the ground watr.

This. No reason for it to end up in a landfill, there are still usable parts in it and Goodwill will make good use out of them!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Getting rid of sensitive data is always a problem. That includes CD storage. My students taught me how to kill a CD. Put it in the microwave for two seconds. There will be a crackling noise and it's all over!

Flash

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Or you could just stick a high power magnet to the drive case, Shooting it would be more fun though.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

Top Bottom