• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    So I have a Rock Island Armory M1911-A1 FS Tactical II on the way and would like to change out the rear sight to something a bit more adaptive to one handed slide manipulation. Is it possible to put a Sig P220 type rear sight on a 1911? I have never been a big fan of the combat rear sight like on a G.I. issue though it wold work for that purpose, the sight picture, for me, is horrible. And only having the use of one hand, it is imperative that the rear sight can handle that kind of abuse/use. Any ideas or recommendations are welcome.
    Lynx Defense

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    According to Rock Island, any Novack cut rear sight will work with minor modification, filing the bevel slightly. I have the RIA tactical compact with factory sights and love it. I will however be putting a Dawson front fiber optic sight on it. Bad eyes, can't see the front blade very good.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Last edited:

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    What I need is a rear sight that will stand up to many, I hope, years of use and incidental abuse. That can be adjustable for longer range shots, though really not practical for a one handed shooter. And that are practical for my uses. Those uses being, practice/paper punching, home defense, back 40 walking/hiking. In essence, a general purpose weapon that can be used in any situation.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Yep they are novak cut, however if you feel like waiting a lot shorter than novak send it to armscor nevada and ask them to do it. Speak to arnel and hell modify it and most times theyll throw in a free throat and polish job along with some goodies. They are without a doubt the best gunsmiths when it comes to rock island and theyre the warranty center as well. But the best part is they are cheap! I wish theyd take other 1911s because you cant find their level of competency in gunsmithing and at their low cost price.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Thats who I go to with Rock Island questions. So far all I have is RIA 1911s, it is all I can afford but they work great.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I sent 3 1911's to Novak for sights and milling the front dovetail cuts and got them within 7 working days.....great communication and work.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I fitted a 10-8 rear sight to my RIA a year or so ago:

33yqjxt.jpg

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Bob Rogers of Rogers Precision has a nice one for that. As mentioned the Heinie and 10-8 are good. There are others as well. One by Heinie called the ledge is designed for racking the slide.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Thanks guys. As soon as Rock Island calls back with their ideas and recommendations, I think I'm going to contact 10-8 and see what they say as well.

Top Bottom