• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • p99guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Haslet
    in Texas , the Revokable living trust is your friend.

its low cost, with no reoccuring fees...(can be done with "Quicken will maker " software ,or Attorney)
    Eliminates CLEO signoff...
    Eliminates the passport photos...
    Eliminates the fingerprint cards.....

the total packet your NFA dealer would send off:

2 ATF form 4
    2 18USC compliance forms
    1 $200.00 tax stamp fee

last one I did took 28 days, mailbox back to mailbox.

I have 20 years in as a Texas Peace Officer...and I too can't stand an antigun CLEO pulling that stuff on the folks he has sworn to serve.
    The NFA process is NOT thier permission for you to have an NFA item, it is to merely attest that you are who you say you are..and they have no reason to believe that you are going to use said item for illegal purpose.
    It serves the same purpose of a NICS check when buying a handgun.
    It is BATFE that approves or disapproves the transfer of the NFA item to you.

Its simply one more legal process they swore they would do when they put on that chief badge(whether they knew it or not, or even agreed with it.) Texas law says you can own properly registered/Tax paid NFA items....its really not up to a CLEO to determine which State/Fed laws he likes, and which he will pretend don't exsist. Up Here in Tarrant County, walking in to see the Sheriff's secretary with NFA paperwork won't even raise an eyebrow, and they mail them back to you signed,in two weeks postage paid ....and life goes on.
    Guns International

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    so with a trust you still file the papers and pay the tax so a trust can be done with software??? and its all still legal

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    wow what a loop hole
    why is it CLEO feel they have the right to just say no cuz they feel like it

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    wow what a loop hole
    why is it CLEO feel they have the right to just say no cuz they feel like it

They either have been given that right or they haven't. And if they have, it doesn't matter what the reason is, it's their right to say yes or no.

Right, wrong or indifferent.

But I'm in agreement about not using a can for a carry. I just don't see the point.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I would not consider a trust or corporation a loophole as the same background check is conducted on the purchasing party by the BATFE regardless of an LEO sign-off or not. Easier for most yes, loophole nope.

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    all I mean is that it get you around dealing with A HOLE CLEO
    Im sure not all of them are but i hear theres a lot of them out there

Gpz1100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    and i don't believe a cleo should have a choice. it should be part of their duties. the items are being duly registered as per the law. i believe their only motivation for not signing is political, not a matter of law.

p99guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Haslet
    In reality it is part of thier duties, but by ATF not setting any penalties to compel them to do so...there is nothing that will be done to them by ATF for saying no. While it certainly will not win you any friends- I have heard of folks sueing the CLEO for their signature....in court they must explain the "I dont think you should have one" bit....which is only defensable in the law by articulating mental unfitness or criminal behavior through documented incidents.(also if it can be proven he has done even one, for a personal friend/hunting buddy/campaign contributer...its hard to defend that he isnt violating your rights just a tad) Personal opinion based on gun control issues dont allways cut it in a courtroom. But as I said you will make it on this guys doodoo list.

Top Bottom