• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    hello all im looking into getting a can in the future i would like to know if they can be carried on ones person and any information about getting chief of police to sign off in Friendswood Tx
    Texas SOT

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I'm not aware of the ability to recieve an LEO signature in Friendswood so you may want to call Rob at the Talon Arms shop to inquire. Regarding "carry on ones person" please expand on the thought. Having one when going to the range is not an issue but I would not want the exposure of keeping one on my person regularly. I would never keep one with my carry gun.

Gpz1100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    whenever you carry it anywhere you just need to carry a COPY of your approved form 4 with it.

you need the CLEO (that may be a sheriff or police chief depending on the location of your address) to sign your paperwork OR get a lawyer and do a trust if they won't sign.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Having a suppressor on your carry pistol has quite a few possible drawbacks.

· The extra length to the barrel would add complexity in concealment
    · The extra length would slow your draw\presentation
    · An anxious DA could run this to an extreme to advance a political career or personal agenda if you are involved in a shooting
    · Should it be used in a defensive situation and an officer or concerned citizen see the suppressor they might make a wrong assumption of guilt based on too much Hollywood during their response
    · If you are in a sudden defense situation noise and flash can be a good thing
    · I have been asked to present my carry gun at a traffic stop and handing a pistol with a suppressor could start things on the wrong path with an officer

Gpz1100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    only 'up' side to it besides all your friend will be jealous, if you discharge the weapon in the car/truck you will still be able to hear the sirens

:)

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    thats what im thinking about i want to keep my hearing should i need to shoot my gun in an enclosed or semi enclosed area

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    If that's the concern LB, get an i-pod with those noise canceling ear buds:D

Seriously though - If a situation has gone so far south as to necessitate the use of deadly force, partial loss of hearing would be the least of my worries.
    Personally, I will trade a bit of my hearing for my life any day and choose the lesser of two evils. (I'm already selectively deaf, just ask my wife.)

Joat

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    If that's the concern LB, get an i-pod with those noise canceling ear buds:D

Seriously though - If a situation has gone so far south as to necessitate the use of deadly force, partial loss of hearing would be the least of my worries.
    Personally, I will trade a bit of my hearing for my life any day and choose the lesser of two evils. (I'm already selectively deaf, just ask my wife.)

Joat

i will trade hearing as well but if i can help it i would like to and still be able to shoot someone in need of a few 230 gr slugs

retrodog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Houston/Galveston TX
    hello all im looking into getting a can in the future i would like to know if they can be carried on ones person and any information about getting chief of police to sign off in Friendswood Tx
    I live in the unincorporated part of Friendswood (Harris County side) so the Friendswood police don't control my area. I have to get the sign-off from the Harris County Sheriff office. They will not sign for a suppressor at all. I'm not sure about the Friendswood PD.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Talk to David Goldman dgoldman@guntrustlawyer.com and look at his web page for more info www.guntrustlawyer.com . I've been in contact with him and recieved excellent advice with my personal trust and am comfortable recomending him.

Shoot him an e-mail and I'm sure you will be impressed. He should be able to guide you confidently through the process and I suspect your trust would be ready in 48 hours from what he did and told me to expect for others.

Tell him you were refered by TalonArms and I suspect you will recieve a small break on the fee. There are cheaper ways but I feel much at ease after having this done properly. Like all things do it right once.

Regards,
    Chris

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    how do you get a trust set up what does that all mean

Mine is being finalized right now with Sean Cody (Home). Basically it means the trust owns the NFA item(s), but you are both the Settlor and Trustee of the trust. No CLEO sign-off is required for NFA items bought by a trust.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Not that I know of, no. Sales tax is already paid on the items bought by the trust, so there shouldn't be any more. Maybe the beneficiary of the trust would have some inheritance tax when you kick it..??

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    disclaimer: I'm no expert, I'm just getting going on this myself, so don't take anything I say as gospel. :D

You can also do this with an LLC like you're talking about, but that's a business that you have to make a tax filing on every year. There isn't any tax filing on a trust.

Top Bottom