Getting a handgun and concealed carry licence at 18

Coffsm

Jun 5, 2016
what do you guys think about this and weather it is a good or bad idea?

Last edited:

easy rider

Fusion Educator
TGT Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
Texas law states that you have to be 21 years of age own a handgun, therefore, apply for a license to carry. Also, you must be a resident of the state of Texas for at least 6 months.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2010
SE TX/Gulf Coast
If you're a veteran you can get your LTC at 18. IIRC, this applies to active-duty, guard, and reserves. If you're mature enough to serve in the military you could be mature enough to carry a handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Payne

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2010
SE TX/Gulf Coast
Texas law states that you have to be 21 years of age own a handgun, therefore, apply for a license to carry. Also, you must be a resident of the state of Texas for at least 6 months.
Incorrect. An individual must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. An 18 year old can possess a handgun in TX. BTW, the 6 month residency has been removed for several years.

Last edited:

easy rider

Fusion Educator
TGT Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
Incorrect. An individual must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. An 18 year old can possess a handgun in TX. BTW, the 6 month residency has been removed for several years.

Since his original statement stated he is in the UK and not a resident of another state the six month period applies. he also talked of purchasing(own). he stated he was 16 now, therefore I didn't bring up military.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2010
SE TX/Gulf Coast
Since his original statement stated he is in the UK and not a resident of another state the six month period applies. he also talked of purchasing(own). he stated he was 16 now, therefore I didn't bring up military.
Reread his original post he edited it or there's a double post.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
...or there's a double post.
Are there two threads on this? The original OP text was:

Hey guys I'm 16, and at the minuet I live in the UK. In a few years I plan to move to the us, specifically Texas (if/when trump gets into power I might not be able to!) and become a firefighter. Another big aspect of what I want to do when I move out is shooting since its something I already do here in the uk and love. But my question is can I buy a handgun at 18/19? At the minuet from what ive read it seems that you can get a handgun when your 18 or over from a private seller but not an FFL registered shop? And then if it is possible to get a handgun from reading the form for the concealed carry license if I meet all the points in section a except the age and I am 18 or over I can still get a license? I was just wondering since I will be moving out alone, if I am able to protect myself by doing this it would be pretty high on my lists of priorities! and finally if I bring my shotgun license from the UK will people be more willing to sell a handgun?

Thanks for taking the time to read this it got pretty lengthy!
I'll reload the threads and see if I can tell what's going on.

ETA: Looks like instead of editing his original, he started a dupe thread. There's another thread here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ing-handgun-concealed-carry-licence-18-a.html

Last edited:

easy rider

Fusion Educator
TGT Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx

Maverick44

Certified All-American Gun Nut

Correct. I bought my 1911 within 2 months of turning 18. I didn't buy it from a gun shop.

As for carrying the gun, I think you have to be 21 unless your a vet. There is a law that says you can keep a gun concealed in your car without a license. I think it may apply to 18 year olds.

Last edited:

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members