• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    So, I'm watching the new NRA video series "NRA Freestyle" with Colion and Amy. I think he brought up an interesting point. He was talking about how most guns are black, tan, or od, and that's it. He thinks that manufacturers should make it so you have more colors to choose from and (cerakote from the factory?) as well as options from the factory. Kind of like how you can go to a car dealership and get the same car in a multitude of colors and accessories-he thinks we should be able to get that with guns. He also thinks it'd be nice to be able to go a gun store and have it be a little bit more than a cluttered room with guns and ammo just kind of thrown in everywhere.

Now, I enjoy my black guns and being able buy accessories for my gun as I need/want them, but I dunno....that could be kind of cool being able to buy a two-tone or three-tone gun if it's done right. We enjoy our silvers and blacks and wood on our 1911's, so why not try and get a wider range of Cerakote colors from a store that's actually tried to be nice inside? Webers in Temple, and Knocked and Loaded in Lampasas are two stores I think are done up pretty nice inside.

So what do you guys think about this?

NRA Freestyle | Episode Guide
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So what do you guys think about this?
    I think I've had a green and yellow (brightest possible neon colors, of course) pistol bouncing around in my head for years. I think that a tastefully-done option for firearms in red, white, and blue would sell well.

I also think my opinions about aesthetics are rejected by more people than accept them.

As for store interiors, I'd just like to see "functional", never mind pretty. Far too many gun store interiors have grown organically and inefficiently. I've actually seen stores that appear to me to devote half their floor space to stock that accounts for 10% of their profit. IMO, most gun stores that are more than a decade old badly need to be examined by a retail professional, re-designed, closed for a week, emptied, re-built, re-stocked, and re-opened.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I can agree with that last part. JT Sports in Copperas Cove is a prime candidate for needing to be closed and completely remodeled. Hell-maybe even moved to a bigger location.

I think when Colion is talking about fixing up the stores, he is talking about making it more friendly to those who aren't used to being around guns. Maybe even bringing pop culture into it a little more. I think if you could combine this with not only the stores but also training (I've seen some training videos for paintball, that would be amazing if someone applied them to real guns!), then that would help bring more of our city types who haven't grown up around guns and don't have anyone to guide them along.

I think themed guns could be pretty cool for us with a ton of guns as well as those who are new to the game. I'm thinking maybe some Star Wars themed guns, or sport team themed guns. I would go for a sweet Boba Fett M&P9 while I know my Brother would lay some good money down on a Steelers AR.

Hmmm....I wonder if I could do a Boba Fett themed shotgun with Krylon? :D

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    That sounds like a gun buyers utopia. Trouble is, if each mfg. offered unending color options and patterns, their base price would be higher even if only +/- 5% of the buyers purchased anything other than than the base color.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea, that's true. They'd have to try and cover at least the paint and half an hour of labor if nothing else. I know half the cost in getting a gun cerakoted out in town is prep work to get the gun ready. If the manufacturer could do it right at the factory, that would cut it down from being a $45-$100 job to a $20-$50 job. I'd be willing to pay that. It's common for people to throw in a holster and/or extra mag with their gun purchase, so I don't see why they wouldn't throw a custom paintjob on with their purchase while they're at it.

Hell, I think that even Academy or Bass Pro could open up shop and cut it down to 2/3's full price simply due to their employees being paid hourly anyways and them having paint on hand (going third party, you usually have to just buy the whole jar/can of paint upfront). It'd be cool for the newer customers if they made an online program that people could access in store or at home and would be a gun builder. Have it allow you to paint different pieces how you want, and install different parts that the store carries. Then, you just print it off, pay up front, and they have the gun ready for you in a day or two complete with a warranty to cover the work they did.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I kinda like how.Elite guns here in Austin has the 2 sofas and a makeshift table in the store. The atmosohere encourages it as a hangout for.gun guys.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Here you go
    PF-9.jpg

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    the fact that there are "aftermarket" folks who can change the appearance of a firearm sits just fine with me (that "rainbow" sig 238, above, makes me want to vomit - some women like it tho)

but then I'm one who changes tv channels when the news people air segments of the houston "art[sic]car parade" (gags at the thought)

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Well, Springfield, Sig both have custom sides of the house where you can do that stuff. I think it is a cool idea, but I don't see many manufacturers wanting to stock colors, deal with customer orders, add another layer of customer service for issues, mistakes etc. I am fine with doing it all aftermarket with people. There were a few awesome shops in AZ with couches, places to sit hang out, BS etc.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for the reminder that there's a difference between "funky/cool" and "completely lacking in artistic sense".

Believe me, if I ever actually assemble the pistol I have in mind, I'll post pictures.

BTW - The whole picture doesn't load for me. I can only see from the bottom of the safety lever and up. But I get the idea.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Best way to really capture female interest in firearms is to offer them in tons of different colors. If you can get a woman to say "oooooh" to something you've got her hooked. Ask my wife about how she feels about her new "Purple Pearl" SIG P238 and you'll see just how powerful colors are as a motivating factor for them.

Sig is doing it right. Others should follow.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the reminder that there's a difference between "funky/cool" and "completely lacking in artistic sense".

Believe me, if I ever actually assemble the pistol I have in mind, I'll post pictures.

BTW - The whole picture doesn't load for me. I can only see from the bottom of the safety lever and up. But I get the idea.

maybe it's time to think about ditching the dial-up modem

Top Bottom