Getting it home

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Big country, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    How do y'all get the deer or pigs or anything else for that matter home when you ain't got a truck? I Have an 03' Nissan pathfinder and when I get the chance to go hog hunting again I will either get a small wading pool for the back if I don't have access to Ice or I will quarter a deer or hog and put them in a cooler. I doubt I'd do the wading pool with a hog tho. Anyway I've some interesting methods from people in the past and there might be someone thinking they can't go hunting if they don't have a truck. (yes I have heard someone say that before) So what are y'all methods for bringing home the bacon (or venison)?

2. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I ain't never not had a truck.

3. GI-John

GI-John Hurry up and wait!! TGT Supporter

Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX

I've also had this same question, and yes that was me that said that.:confused:

4. baboon

baboon Well-Known

It depends on were I'm at. Generally break it like a beef & throw it in coolers w/ ice.

5. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Same here. When I had a Dodge Ramcharger I would ice down the cavity and wrap the deer in one of those blue tarps, until I got to the processor. Of cousre I'd was out the cavity with water real good before I'd ice down the animal.:2cents:

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Y’all gona think this is nuts but it works great.
    A large lined duffel bag. $35.00 at most sports stores.
    You can quarter or simply half most white tails and stuff it in packed with ice.
    They will hold a whole hog in most cases
    What’s nice is they take up less room on the trip out to the lease. They transport easy to your stand and can be easily pulled up into a tree over night with you game iced down.
    They are extremely versatile in many ways around a deer camp.
    If it’s a god one with a good liner, you can haul water in them for bathing and such; makes a great shower if you know how to set it up.
    The more you think about it the more you realize they are more versatile than a cooler in many ways.

7. Libertarian_Longhorn

Libertarian_Longhorn Active Member

Apr 28, 2009
    +1

Make sure it's a good quality bag though, because I've had the liner leak. I personally throw my quartered hog/deer into coolers in the bed of my truck, and then use the big lined duffle bag at home to brine the hog meat with apple vinegar and some salt.

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Sir, leave Texas and don't come back til you have a truck :lolz:

9. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

OMG a texan without a truck, Nissan Pathfinder thats a womans ride
    or a soccer moms ride.:lolz::rofl::rofl:

10. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009