• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    After acquiring many all-metal, SA+DA, autoloading pistols I feel that I have all those that I want so I am now looking into getting a revolver. I want it to be a very good .357 magnum revolver that has the features that I prefer which are mainly a 5" barrel, adjustable sights, and be completely made of steel.

I am presently considering acquiring a Smith & Wesson Performance Center 686 Plus. Any positive or negative comments from anyone with experience using this revolver?
    Texas SOT

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think it's a great choice. I don't own a 686 but I really enjoy shooting my TRR8. My GF has a 686 deluxe and it's a fine pistol. The PC guns are pretty slick, probably a better value than trying to rework a standard pistol through a gunsmith.

The Ruger GP100s are also well built all steel guns. I've shot a few over the years. If the prices were dead even I would feel well equipped with either.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have a 686 non performance center 4 inch. Use to have a 6 inch. I wanted the 5 inch performance center like what you want, but found a super good deal on the 4 inch I have. Can't really go wrong with a S&W IMO. Only grip I have is the lock, which hasn't been an issue for me other than not being visually appealing.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    A 686 PC with 5" barrel sits beside my computer desk with 2 speedloaders all the time. I have at least 2 others somewhere in the house or storage. I'd have my GP100 Match Champion in the same place but I'm thinking of selling it NIB.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ruger revolvers are nice but S&W revolvers are king. I know you are a collector so go buy that 686 and you buckle yourself in for an expensive ride

Get a 629 after that. And once you are done with the regular calibers get yourself a hand howitzer and buy a XVR 460 or the 500

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Ruger revolvers are nice but S&W revolvers are king. I know you are a collector so go buy that 686 and you buckle yourself in for an expensive ride

I see that I can get the Performance Center 686 Plus for $950 on gunbroker which is easily within reach for me to buy but I am also considering a Manurhin MR73 which seems to be the holy grail of .357 magnum revolvers and that one would set me back about $3000.

Reactions: MTA

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    pre-lock S&W Model 27 is the answer you seek.

Smith-Wesson-Model-27-2-rockislandauction2.jpg

Huntsman52

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    If you can swing it, i would look for a Dan Wesson. Strength of a ruger and looks of a smith. Accurate as well with the opertunity to swap out barrels, set your own barrel gap etc. Barrels rang from 2" up to 10".

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    My vote is the 686. Preferably a -6 or older model to avoid MIM parts, the safety lock, hammer has the firing pin vs a transfer bar, better finish on the stainless, roll punched letters vs laser etched etc.....

They're great accurate guns. I can throw all 6 on a steel silhouette at the 100yd range all day shooting 6 inches high

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I see that I can get the Performance Center 686 Plus for $950 on gunbroker which is easily within reach for me to buy but I am also considering a Manurhin MR73 which seems to be the holy grail of .357 magnum revolvers and that one would set me back about $3000.
    Never even heard of that before. Ill take a look at it now. You cant go wrong with any of the PC models. They are extremely nice

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Forgotten Weapons just did a couple videos on the MR73. French special forces used them for a couple decades. The revolver is known for being extremely reliable and for its durability. Manurhin is now owned by Beretta but still makes them, Beretta will import the revolver to the States. MSRP's are not for the faint of heart.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    For something hat would be used, and I do mean used, a GP 100 7 rnd. would be my first choice. Absolutely nothing against the 686, just that the GP grip and frame feel more natural to me. Now, if you can find a 4" mod. 66 Sq. Butt Smith, that would be a different story.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Take a hard look at Ruger.
    about to start a war lol

I own a 686, 642, and a gp100 7 shot. Nothing wrong per say with Ruger designs. I prefer the Smith.

Ruger is cast vs milled Smith

Because of above, Rugers are bulkier

Smith back strap goes down the entire grip length giving you a grip on the gun/grip vs just the grip with Ruger.

Both will outlast us and our grandkids.

Both can get scary good triggers.

Really just a preference thing.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Oh and some tips. NEVER spin the cylinder and fling it closed like an old movie. It throws the timing off and damages the pawl.

If buying used, check the timing and lock up of the cylinder. Look at the forcing cone damage from a heavy diet of light weight magnums. You can also look above the forcing cone and see a line being cut into metal from the blast if it's been shot a lot.

Go ahead and get a Smith and a Ruger.
    There's something mechanicaly cool and romantic about wheel guns. One really isn't an option.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Oh and some tips. NEVER spin the cylinder and fling it closed like an old movie. It throws the timing off and damages the pawl.

If buying used, check the timing and lock up of the cylinder. Look at the forcing cone damage from a heavy diet of light weight magnums. You can also look above the forcing cone and see a line being cut into metal from the blast if it's been shot a lot.

Go ahead and get a Smith and a Ruger.
    There's something mechanicaly cool and romantic about wheel guns. One really isn't an option.

I read up on the proper handling of a revolver so I will not be doing anything unreasonable with them. I am very careful and attentive when I am handling my firearms.

I have heard too many horror stories about buying a used revolver and it not being properly taken care of by the previous owner so I will only be buying a new one.

Top Bottom