• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    My father bought a 5" stainless S&W in 44 mag and I've now inherited it. It's a hell of an nice gun and a hell of a cannon!
    I'm waiting for the pictures......

giphy.gif
    Venture Surplus ad

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I've never bought a new pre-lock Smith but I did buy a new stainless Ruger GP100 6" a few years ago. Nothing wrong with it and it was a great shooter. I only sold it to fund other guns.

I bought my 4" 686 and my 2 old 28-2 Smiths used. They're the only revolvers that I have and fun shooters.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The older the S&W is, the nicer it is.

Personal opinion here, but unless you go with korth or manurhin, no company is currently able or willing to put the effort into making a solid gun consistently

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...unless you go with korth or manurhin, no company is currently able or willing to put the effort into making a solid gun consistently
    QFT when talking about double action revolvers. If we want to include single actions, we'd have to add in Picra and Freedom Arms. There are a couple of others but they're so rare the names escape me at the moment.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Ignoring the bad joke :) the rubber grips have been standard for decades. If you want nice wood, Nill can help you out.

OOC? <sigh>
    Thanks for the ignore...according to my sons, I don't know any good jokes.
    I suspect those grips cost more than I paid for the Trooper I had new. I put Herret's Shooting Stars on mine. Poor man's Python.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I've never bought a new pre-lock Smith but I did buy a new stainless Ruger GP100 6" a few years ago. Nothing wrong with it and it was a great shooter. I only sold it to fund other guns.

I bought my 4" 686 and my 2 old 28-2 Smiths used. They're the only revolvers that I have and fun shooters.
    I’ll probably never buy a new smith wesson revolver simply due to the Hillary hole. I’m sure that functionally they are fine, but it just takes so much away from the aesthetics

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Been a while since I looked a the price of revolvers, but this thread intrigued me enough to spend a few minutes looking them up. Dang! They're certainly not cheap!

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    That's my story, except an M610 was my gateway revolver, though I've owned and shot several M686s in my youth.
    so go buy that 686 and you buckle yourself in for an expensive ride

Get a 629 after that. And once you are done with the regular calibers get yourself a hand howitzer and buy a XVR 460 or the 500

Reactions: MTA

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! At the moment I am completely impressed with the Manurhin MR73 and since I only really want one revolver I feel that this is the single best one even though it costs more than 3 S&W 686 or 3 Ruger GP100 pistols. It seems that the next batch of Manurhin MR73 pistols is due to be available sometime early next year so if I am able to get one I will let you all know. If I do not end up getting the Manurhin MR73 than I will likely go ahead and buy a S&W 686 and Ruger GP100.

Top Bottom