• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    A very handy tool on TX Gun Trader is the IP address location feature.
    When you open an ad look just under the sellers name. There will be a little red crosshair looking icon.
    Click on it. It will open up another page with the location of the ad owner IP address.
    Match that with any location in the actual ad.
    If the IP is shown as outside of Texas its a scam. Hell I see them on there from Lagos, Nigeria frequently.
    Many of the scammers somehow list Dallas so be careful.
    If the ad says For Sale in Houston and the IP locater says Kansas then you have a fraud.
    Only do live face to face deals. Never ever agree to shipping/sending money.
    Contact the seller thru the Trader website.
    Or perhaps they are using a vpn. If they are scamming they probably are not using a real ip address.
    Lynx Defense

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Homeboy is in India doing the needful with his mom and sisters on a cushion of rupees after converting your unrecoverable money.
    If a seller only takes Zelle or Bitcoin or other anonymous , un-disputable forms of payment, it is always 100% a scam.
    There is absolutely nothing that is going to get him prosecuted, or your money back.
    Sorry for your hard lesson.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Homeboy is in India doing the needful with his mom and sisters on a cushion of rupees after converting your unrecoverable money.
    If a seller only takes Zelle or Bitcoin or other anonymous , un-disputable forms of payment, it is always 100% a scam.
    There is absolutely nothing that is going to get him prosecuted, or your money back.
    Sorry for your hard lesson.

Hoji; All,

While I have bought any number of items off of the Texas Gun Trader website, I have only done "face to face" deals & regard sending money to someone that you don't know as FOOLISH "in the first degree" and/or as a "self-inflicted wound"..

just my OPINION, satx

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    A very handy tool on TX Gun Trader is the IP address location feature.
    When you open an ad look just under the sellers name. There will be a little red crosshair looking icon.
    Click on it. It will open up another page with the location of the ad owner IP address.
    Match that with any location in the actual ad.
    If the IP is shown as outside of Texas its a scam. Hell I see them on there from Lagos, Nigeria frequently.
    Many of the scammers somehow list Dallas so be careful.
    If the ad says For Sale in Houston and the IP locater says Kansas then you have a fraud.
    Only do live face to face deals. Never ever agree to shipping/sending money.
    Contact the seller thru the Trader website.

This ^ chances are your money isn’t even in Texas any longer. Always check their IP and meet FTF

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Does seem like that. But I am vindictive enough to spend more than that getting justice....and feel good about it.
    Well, the flight to India would be expensive, the smell in India would be atrocious, ( as would the smell on the plane) and the odds of finding the right Sanjay are literally 1:1,000,000,000 or so.
    You will probably get some kind of Noroviris while there and spend a couple of days at a minimum shitting your intestines out and then have to quarantine there for two weeks before being allowed on a plane to come home( because rice rabies) terrified the whole time that you will catch another variation of the noroviris that wiped you out and could keep you there even longer.

You got ripped off. They got away with it. Don’t let it happen again. That is the best you can do.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    You have the bank account info and the amount, why don't you dispute the transaction through Zelle?

Once the money is credited to the account you sent it to, that is that as far as Zelle. There is no dispute process. They are rather upfront about that too.

THE SERVICE IS INTENDED TO SEND MONEY TO FRIENDS, FAMILY AND OTHERS YOU TRUST. YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE SERVICE TO SEND MONEY TO RECIPIENTS WITH WHOM YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR OR YOU DO NOT TRUST.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Man this is a sad and cautionary tail. I’ve bought one firearm off of TGT years back. FTF & Cash. The guy seemed like a decent person but damn, the OP really seems to of been complacent in this case.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Man this is a sad and cautionary tail. I’ve bought one firearm off of TGT years back. FTF & Cash. The guy seemed like a decent person but damn, the OP really seems to of been complacent in this case.
    I've done a bunch of deals off there. All ftf and cash or trade. It's a good tool if you are careful.

Lots of scammers but they're easy to spot with minimal work.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's not technically true. Many, many verified Texas resident members on this forum have IP addresses in Kansas. At least one of the big connection providers just works that way.

However, your overall point is spot on so, in practical terms, you're quite correct.

Be suspicious and do your deals face to face, folks.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I just wanted to chime in on the point that is now being beaten to death. First, to the op, Sorry if you got scammed. That sucks. Second, I have done a bunch of deals (allegedly) on Texas gun trader but always done in person.

Second, your IP address is way more shiftable than some folks realize. I personally use a VPN 95% of the time on my phone and when I am on the computer at home. It does break some functionality like linking to social media and Google checking to see if I am a robot. Generally I will let the machine pick the fastest server. Depending on what is going on I can shift it to other states or countries at the push of a button.

I don't figure I have anything to hide per say but I try and minimize my footprint and location when discretion is required.

Here are a couple pics just to provide a visual.
    2ff1bf109af626cd0369b79f1b884eac.jpg
    5a6afe0b7c54725c0b7680bad9d233fb.jpg
    f8546cddd5d8ce491b6f707029a3b52a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    You got scammed, but you learned a very valuable lesson. FTF cash on TGT. GB there are scams, but at least there is some form of seller ratings. Anonymous sellers on TGT with no verifiable feedback asking for Zelle, walmart gift cards or paypal = Scam.

It only needs to work once for scammers to have the incentive to keep scamming on TGT.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I was ripped off on armslist years ago. Luckily I got most of it back through my credit union, but I learned “face to face” buying / selling only.

Top Bottom