Not open for further replies.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Forget Romney, he's a total loss. It'll all hinge on Collins and her RINO crew. Mitch is going to have to offer her the sun, moon and stars if they want to seat someone really controversial like Amy Barrett. If the Rs feel like Trump will win re-election, they might not make a great offer, and play hardball.

But if you rely on government pork in Maine, your day just got a lot brighter.
    If the Republicans lose the majority they could confirm somebody after the election in before the new Congress comes in.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    RBG last tweet:

8f9c3131fc1c32a9ae481f2cbb285486.jpg

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    If the Republicans lose the majority they could confirm somebody after the election in before the new Congress comes in.

Lose the majority -- heck, they might lose the Presidency! Horse comes before cart. Trump will certainly name a replacement, that's easy, but we saw what happened to Garland, Trump threw him to the curb. This needs to happen before the election, which raises the crazy-o-meter on 2020 to 11

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Contrary to my desired outcome, I don't see any way we get another justice confirmed before 3 Nov.

Whether he wins reelection or not, I likewise don't see a confirmation before inauguration if the dems have any power to stop it.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I would assume that Trump probably already has someone in mind for the nomination. It was no secret she was in very poor health and getting worse.

Amy Barrett, but now is not the time. She's very conservative, and she's probably anti-abortion. I would say she's definitely anti-abortion. The left will lose their freaking minds if Barrett is nominated.

Which means that's exactly what Trump will do.....sigh.....

The problem is that it's going to fall on RINOs like Susan Collins, who is a Republican, but she's pro-abortion. The independents and all the RINOs (as mentioned above, Mitt Romney, et al) will vote against Barrett unless Mitch has a Miracle up his sleeve.

Whether he wins reelection or not, I likewise don't see a confirmation before inauguration if the dems have any power to stop it.

The Dems probably can't stop it -- the problem is the Republicans. Romney, Collins, etc. Mitch needs time to find out what the RINOs need to be bribed with, and move the chess pieces to make it happen. He can't just push a button.....at least, I don't think he can push a button. Hopefully, Mitch can push a button. I guess we'll find out before too long....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Contrary to my desired outcome, I don't see any way we get another justice confirmed before 3 Nov.

If the Republicans cannot get their shit together and have a vote before the election, they suffer the greatest loss ever.

Dems have no power to stop it.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    If the Republicans cannot get their shit together and have a vote before the election, they suffer the greatest loss ever.

1) You're being a bit harsh -- in this political climate, getting a replacement Justice with just mere weeks before the election? Insanity!

2) Not a big deal if Trump wins re-election, we can do it next year, and in the meantime, the liberals are missing a vote on SCOTUS

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I mean crap who survives pancreatic cancer TWICE. Plus whatever other cancer she had. The woman was tough as shit. I didn't agree with her 99% of the time but I respect her tenacity.
    Both my ex-wife and her dad died from pancreatic cancer... I wouldn't wish it on anyone (deep sigh).
    I'll refrain from political postings for at least a little while.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo

Dems have no power to stop it.

DOH!!! I'm an idiot: I"d actually forgotten it was simple majority of senate only....

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Even if Trump and Mitch get a new justice seated before or after the election, ( and I hope/pray they do), if the Dems take the house, senate and presidency they can just add more supreme court justices to the bench. Even more reason to get out and vote.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom