• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Good question! In a tied ruling it counts as no ruling. Guess the one with the most ammo wins!

Actually it's the ruling of the lower court that would stand? 9th Circuit?

Another good question there Doug. Talk about some really weird things going on right now. RBG's death has created it's own huge problems politically now.
    Hurley's Gold

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    What really pisses me off is all the talking heads on Fox last night worrying about a decision to move forward with upcoming election looming because of their fear of unrest in the country.

Those who fear the consequences of following the Constitution, fucking deserve the tyranny they are in fear of ...

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The House of Representatives ... according to the 12th Ammendment.
    That's in case of a tie or other Electoral College snafu. The House was not involved in the Bush/Gore BS. In that case had there been a tie in the Supreme Court the previous court, Florida Supreme Court, ruling would have stood and Gore would have been President. That's my opinion based on what little I've read concerning the matter of a tied ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I did read it. Depending on the results, there may not be the political will needed to get a confirmation.

Quite the opposite, I think.

If a R senator won, he will go with the nominee with no concern about reelection (voters will forget in six minutes, much less six years). If a R senator (e.g., Collins) lost, they will have nothing to lose by backing the nominee.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    That's in case of a tie or other Electoral College snafu. The House was not involved in the Bush/Gore BS. In that case had there been a tie in the Supreme Court the previous court, Florida Supreme Court, ruling would have stood and Gore would have been President. That's my opinion based on what little I've read concerning the matter of a tied ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court.

That's debateable and totally unsettled ... but with judicial activism rearing its ugly head, you might see it.

While SCOTUS set a precedent in settling voting disputes among the candidates, as they did in 2000, they are not Constitutionally involved in deciding a tie vote (the question I replied to) as is setout in the 12th and modified in the 20th Ammendments.

Then again, the lawyers in black robes are always lurking in the background looking for an opportunity to twist our Constitution to their agendas.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Quite the opposite, I think.

If a R senator won, he will go with the nominee with no concern about reelection (voters will forget in six minutes, much less six years). If a R senator (e.g., Collins) lost, they will have nothing to lose by backing the nominee.

Seeing as how Murkowski and Collins have already said to wait it out, those two votes are already gone. They (and the media) have already decided Trump is a lame duck, which is not the case right now. The permutations and political will after 3 Nov is too complex to even grasp.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Seeing as how Murkowski and Collins have already said to wait it out, those two votes are already gone. They (and the media) have already decided Trump is a lame duck, which is not the case right now. The permutations and political will after 3 Nov is too complex to even grasp.
    Everyone counted Collins out last time, but she came through.

Why should R senators care if Trump is a lame duck with regard to SCOTUS nominations?

Time will tell.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Don't leave out Mittens. Murkowski? doubt that RINO will back her party ... more likely to cut off her nose to spite her face.

Collins just might come around as it looks like she may be fighting for political life against a dim.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Okay, lets break this down.

We have a very confusing presidential election in November. One candidate, (Biden) who many of us clearly see as being not mentally qualified for the job.

We now have a vacant seat in the Supreme Court. The current president can make a nomination for the vacancy. But will that vacancy be filled in time for the election in November?

What about the election being contested because of possibly fraudulent "mail-in" ballots having to be counted?

Right now, the Senate is a majority controlled by Republicans, while the House is majority controlled by Democrats.

A story like this, would make a political intrigue novel a best seller!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't count on Romney, Collins or Murkowski. I just hope they get the other 50 votes, then it's up to Pence.

Last night I researched Amy Coney Barrett, I really hope Trump wasn't joking when he said "I'm saving her for Ginsburg's position". I would also like Ted Cruz, but then I would hate for Texas to lose it's best senator.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We now have a vacant seat in the Supreme Court. The current president can make a nomination for the vacancy. But will that vacancy be filled in time for the election in November?

The way I read it, the nominee filling the RBG vacancy only needs to be confirmed before inaguration day, so there is quite a bit of time left as long as Trump is still in his first term.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I don't count on Romney, Collins or Murkowski. I just hope they get the other 50 votes, then it's up to Pence.

Last night I researched Amy Coney Barrett, I really hope Trump wasn't joking when he said "I'm saving her for Ginsburg's position". I would also like Ted Cruz, but then I would hate for Texas to lose it's best senator.

Amy Coney Barrett!
    Makes perfect sense to Trump, and bigger hypocrites out of the dims, if the latter is even possible.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yes but it might not be as dire as you're thinking. The way things lay right now, assuming everything went down party lines, the vote would go to the republicans.

I hope like hell you're right!
    Then again, hope is the last wish of the unprepared ...

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    That's debateable and totally unsettled ... but with judicial activism rearing its ugly head, you might see it.

While SCOTUS set a precedent in settling voting disputes among the candidates, as they did in 2000, they are not Constitutionally involved in deciding a tie vote (the question I replied to) as is setout in the 12th and modified in the 20th Ammendments.

Then again, the lawyers in black robes are always lurking in the background looking for an opportunity to twist our Constitution to their agendas.
    I agree, 12th Amendment, settles ties and other Electoral College BS.

In the event of State lawsuits centering on the illegal acts, or alleged illegal acts, to manipulate the outcome of an election, just as in 2000, it goes to the State Supreme Court. Regardless of outcome at the State level, one party or the other will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Where.... in the event of a tie, the lower Court Ruling stands.

ETA: clarification, eliminate rambling, correct F/Up's, and numerous other consistent inconsistencies

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I hope like hell you're right!
    Then again, hope is the last wish of the unprepared ...
    Read the amendment closely, then do the math. The vote is not per representative. It's per state. So 50 votes, assuming each state has a majority vote for a candidate. The closest red state is Florida, where republicans lead by 1 vote out of 27. PA is deadlocked with 18 votes. AZ, CO, and MI are one vote to the democrat side out of 9, 7, and 14 respectively. MN is 2 out of 8 for democrat, WI is 2 out of 8 for republican.

Assuming the vote is before incumbents take their seats, or there is no change in party by seat, and all reps vote with their party, there are 26 states voting republican, 23 states voting democrat, and one state deadlocked and irrelevant even if it comes up with a vote.

If this vote were after incumbents were seated, republicans would still win even if the closest two republican-majority states flipped (losing one seat in two states and two seats in one state) went democrat and no democrat-majority states were won. Though it seems more likely that CO and MI go from democrat-majority to no majority or even republican, than FL losing two house seats to go democrat-majority.

But keep in mind that this is WAY down the flowchart. This is after counts and recounts and lawsuits and state court rulings and supreme court rulings and electoral college decisions and court rulings on what makes faithless electors, and so on.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I agree, 12th Amendment, settles ties and other Electoral College BS.

In the event of Federal Lawsuits centering on the illegal acts, or alleged illegal acts, to manipulate the outcome of a Federal Election. just as in 2000, it goes to the State Supreme Court. Regardless of outcome at the State level, one party or the other will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Where.... in the event of a tie, the lower Court Ruling stands.

The one that concerns me are the mail-in ballots. The thought is, that they are intended to confuse the election results and tie things up for months, and possible allow Pelosi to assume the seat of president. I think many of us believe that is the strategy behind the Democrats pushing so hard for mail-in ballots for the election.

So now, are things further confused because of RBG's death yesterday? Does her death change things more in favor of Trump, or Biden after the November election?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom