Not open for further replies.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just curious, has anyone heard any other names that Trump may be considering for justice?
    The top three I heard from more than one source is:
    Amy Coney Barrett
    Barbara Lagoa
    Amul Thapar

Now of course, I doubt that this is straight from Trump, so this is just speculation on what choices would fit the politics and Trump's agenda.

Trump has a list of about 25 nominees at this point and he has surprised many in the past.
    Lynx Defense

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Amy is not the only female that could be nominated.

True. But Neomi Rao's baggage I think DQs her, and Grant doesn't have any "real" opinions yet at the federal level, and so little experience, how can she be trusted?
    Eid might be awesome; she clerked for Thomas and went to a law school that has maybe the best originalist professor in the nation, but again, she's only been on the federal level for a cup of coffee. So, again, how can you trust her? Sykes I would want, she's pro-2A all the way, but she's already too old. There are some others, but they have so little experience it's hard to say what they believe and it's impossible to know if they're truly committed to an originalist approach.

Only Barrett has Circuit-level opinions on critical issues (including the 2A) which evince an originalist approach. She's plenty young, too. The problem is the abortion thing.

We'll see!

If Collins loses, what political bribe can be offered? If she wins, what use is the political bribe?

You're way more honorable than I am -- I'm not talking about political bribes. Get your mind into the gutter. I'm talking simple cash. A "campaign donation" for 8 figures could be all it takes.
    But yeah, she could be offered any of the usual political reward spots -- Secretary of Education or etc, some kush Ambo spot to Germany or Spain or etc. Maybe in combination with a massive "campaign donation".

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I’ve been seeing a lot of celebrities tweeting inflammatory things like “burn it down” and “this is war”.

I find that so freaking hypocritical, since they are such a bunch of clowns who cannot even be accountable for their own security and safety. Who will fight their war for them? George Soros conscripts at $15/hour?

If pro 2A conservatives and Libertarians use terms like “fight”, “war”, or the like, we’d be labeled “war mongers”

Celebrities know what's best!

Bunch of pussies who didn't move to Canada when they threatened to. Nobody gave a shit then and shouldn't give a shit now about their threats.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    and then we have Jane Fonda " Let's grow some balls AND some ovaries!!!!!" one definition of ovaries: They are considered female gonads..." maybe but... in 70 years of living I have never heard the battle cry "Let's grow some ovaries!!!!"

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The top three I heard from more than one source is:
    Amy Coney Barrett
    Barbara Lagoa
    Amul Thapar

Now of course, I doubt that this is straight from Trump, so this is just speculation on what choices would fit the politics and Trump's agenda.

Trump has a list of about 25 nominees at this point and he has surprised many in the past.

Thank you Easy Rider.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Also. I have not seen cause of death or time. Is that odd?

Cause of death listed as 'complications from Pancreatic cancer'. She originally had pancreatic cancer in 2009 - it's usually fatal (...I mean, without eleven years going by). You're lucky to get a few weeks or months out of it.

Also couldn't locate anything, stating time of death. She died in her home in Washington D.C., surrounded by family. First "time stamped" article I found was an NPR report dated Friday, September 18th at 7:28 pm Eastern Time. So you figure that may have taken an hour(?) to get out... But maybe someone can find an earlier time stamped report. (?).

She'll be buried in Arlington Cemetery, next to her husband.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Cause of death listed as 'complications from Pancreatic cancer'. She originally had pancreatic cancer in 2009 - it's usually fatal (...I mean, without eleven years going by).

Also couldn't locate anything, stating time of death. She died in her home in Washington D.C., surrounded by family. First "time stamped" article I found was an NPR report dated Friday, September 18th at 7:28 pm Eastern Time. So you figure that may have taken an hour(?) to get out... But maybe someone can find an earlier time stamped report. (?).

The first news release stating she had died was from around 5 pm yesterday. So maybe sometime earlier that day?

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    0df7feba5730aefa685b831a7ce7b295.jpg

Sometimes the script just writes’ itself

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    ...snip...
    Barbara Lagoa

Lagoa is an interesting choice from a strategic perspective.

She's Cuban and from Florida, and we know Florida might well be the key to the future of the USA (which should chill us all to the bone) -- Trump won Florida in 2016 by like 50k votes or something, and Bloomberg is sinking "at least" 100 million into Florida alone in an attempt to swing the small number of votes needed to bring the state over to the democrats.

Florida has tons of electoral college votes (tied for #3 in the USA), and with it being so close, it looks to be a dogfight. At this point, either party will murder nuns to win Florida, so don't be surprised by anything involving that state.

So Trump tries to gain Floridian support with the mention of Lagoa. She got 26 Democrat votes in her confirmation hearing, so she might be do-able where other candidates are not. Plus, both parties want the hispanic vote, so this would be a feather in Trump's cap.

The problem is: she might be a complete liberal activist judge. She's endorsed by the American Bar Association, which is complete batcrap-crazy leftist. They hate all of Trump's nominees, and if they like Lagoa, she's probably the next Sotomayor.
    She has no meaningful opinions at the Circuit level, and she's only been there for 10 minutes. She's too risky, imo, but she's what we might settle for in order to win re-election, and say that "we seated another Justice!!"

Of course, she might be epic. But with no way to be sure, I hope we don't have to resort to Lagoa, although I'm still scarred by Sotomayor's blatant lies during her confirmation hearing, so I'm paranoid against hispanic women in SCOTUS.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Oh yeah, and here's one for those of you trying to do the political calculus at home:

McSally (R, from AZ), is losing in the polls to Mark Kelly, total gun control nut democrat.
    AZ law allows him to be sworn in immediately, so no waiting until January for that to take effect!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Cause of death listed as 'complications from Pancreatic cancer'. She originally had pancreatic cancer in 2009 - it's usually fatal (...I mean, without eleven years going by). You're lucky to get a few weeks or months out of it.

September of what year??

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Lagoa is an interesting choice from a strategic perspective.

She's Cuban and from Florida, and we know Florida might well be the key to the future of the USA (which should chill us all to the bone) -- Trump won Florida in 2016 by like 50k votes or something, and Bloomberg is sinking "at least" 100 million into Florida alone in an attempt to swing the small number of votes needed to bring the state over to the democrats.

Florida has tons of electoral college votes (tied for #3 in the USA), and with it being so close, it looks to be a dogfight. At this point, either party will murder nuns to win Florida, so don't be surprised by anything involving that state.

So Trump tries to gain Floridian support with the mention of Lagoa. She got 26 Democrat votes in her confirmation hearing, so she might be do-able where other candidates are not. Plus, both parties want the hispanic vote, so this would be a feather in Trump's cap.

The problem is: she might be a complete liberal activist judge. She's endorsed by the American Bar Association, which is complete batcrap-crazy leftist. They hate all of Trump's nominees, and if they like Lagoa, she's probably the next Sotomayor.
    She has no meaningful opinions at the Circuit level, and she's only been there for 10 minutes. She's too risky, imo, but she's what we might settle for in order to win re-election, and say that "we seated another Justice!!"

Of course, she might be epic. But with no way to be sure, I hope we don't have to resort to Lagoa, although I'm still scarred by Sotomayor's blatant lies during her confirmation hearing, so I'm paranoid against hispanic women in SCOTUS.
    That's why I said it fits the politics. My choice, and maybe due to researching her, is of course, Amy Coney Barrett. I like the fact she clerked under Scalia and is pro gun. To me, if we lose the 2nd Amendment, we lose them all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom