• Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good father daughter time.

On a side note, I won't eat them for political reasons.

Also, the cookies aren't even made of real Girl Scouts! False advertising.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The kid who used to sell Girl Scout cookies in my neighborhood got into high school and quit doing it. I dunno why; she knew I'd always buy enough from her for her to make her quota. So I've been without a source for a few years.

A new family moved in last year. This is the first year they knocked on my door. Judging from the age of those girls, I'll have a supply for as long as I expect to stay in this house.

And yes, I know the political reasons why I shouldn't indulge. But...shortbread! :)

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have never seen them sell outside a gun show. Bet attendees will support those that support them, wear a gun friendly shirt and help her sell em' out.

Agree with above post about college students, need to find out when 4:20 is at that school.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Most of what little profit the local units would "keep" is now being pulled by the far left, Democrat-controlled, national council...to pay for their PENSIONS...

Starting on January 1, 2014, participating Girl Scout councils will see a 40 percent increase in their pension expenses for the frozen plan. For many Girl Scout councils, this means that the pension expense will suck up money that would normally go toward operating expenses such as staff salaries and benefits, camp maintenance, outreach programs for at-risk girls, scholarship support for low-income girls, and general programming. On average, the pension expense is expected to subsume approximately 20 percent of payroll costs and 7 percent of councils' total budgets.

Read it on their own website: https://www.girlscouts.org/help/faqs/council_retirement_plan.asp

I am all for teaching anyone about capitalism, but not so much about Ponzi schemes.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    On a side note, I won't eat them for political reasons.
    You can find Keebler equivalents at the grocery store anyways. I even found generic Samoas and Tagalongs at Big Lots for real cheap. The generic Tagalongs have a chocolate looking cookie base instead of plain, but they taste identical to the real thing.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Cookies pay for my daughters camp every year, with some left over for a shopping spree at the Girl Scout store. She'll probably bail to a Venture Crew in High School.

As to the politics, just like the Boy Scouts of America all the girls ever see are volunteers. The paid folks are off running another left wing non-profit, and most have forgotten what the core mission used to be if they ever knew what it was.

Tremors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    Well I love it when the Girl Scouts sell cookies because thats the closest I'll ever get to feel what it is like to be a Rock Star. I dislike it when the parents are doing all the selling or doing what the children should be learning from selling. I agree I have seen the Girl Scouts at the gun shows in the past and I would always buy just to support.

Lucas Mccain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Trophy Club Texas
    The other day I saw some Girl Scouts selling cookies but they weren't the ones in the box. They were selling the cookies that they made. One of the moms told me that they didn't believe in selling the cookies in the boxes because they hardly got any of the money so instead the families of the girls decided to donate money to the scouts so they can make home made cookies and sell them so the troop keeps 100% of the money. I didn't buy any cookies becuase I don't need any but I gave them two $20 bills. I don't support the Girl Scouts but I support kids and familes that compromise like this.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom