• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I have owned a 22, 23, 32 and now a 27. Never seen anything go wrong with 40 Glock if used properly. These things can be a used, abused and worked hard and they keep going. That is why I carry one.
    Military Camp

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Ummm.... all glocks have been redisigned. They have been given a make over. All changes are purely aesthetic, or for the "comfort" of some. Fundemantally, the glock is the same it has been since it's inception.

If you really want to buy a Glock, don't rely on Internet "experts".

Do your own research, and make your own descision on whether to buy one or not.

Go to Glocktalk.com spend some time reading, you will find all your answers there.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I seem to remember hearing something about barrels being too tight and after alot of lead fouling were way too tight which caused the kaboom factor.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have never had a problem with lights attached, but have heard that the extra weight on the dust cover can put the recoil guide rod and spring in a bind. Maybe with a really heavy light that doesn't hit the trigger guard or something.

That is from post #20, and I believe it is all Glocks.

The biggest factor in kabooms is using lead bullets. The polygonal rifling can't handle the leading like conventional rifling does. Desert Eagles and I believe HKs share this rifling also. I think most people don't know that and don't read the owners manual, so they blow up their gun.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Haha, I get called an internet expert, but you guys dont even know what all is going into the 4th generation .40S&W Glocks...

I can assure you, it isnt just looks. The recoil spring has been redesigned. There's been some other internal changes too.

Hows Glocktalk working out for you? That place is worse than ARFCOM.

As far as the light attached to the .40 Glocks, it causes frame flex, which causes malfs.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I have never had a problem with lights attached, but have heard that the extra weight on the dust cover can put the recoil guide rod and spring in a bind. Maybe with a really heavy light that doesn't hit the trigger guard or something.

That is from post #20, and I believe it is all Glocks.

The biggest factor in kabooms is using lead bullets. The polygonal rifling can't handle the leading like conventional rifling does. Desert Eagles and I believe HKs share this rifling also. I think most people don't know that and don't read the owners manual, so they blow up their gun.

Actually it was only in a couple production batches of Glock 22's. When the whole light craze hit, Glock went with the gen 2.5 that added the light rail to the Gen 2 guns and then evolved into the Gen 3. The issue was that the light is it stiffens the frame up some what, and Glocks need the frame flex to operate correctly, especially since the desgin is meant initially for the 9mm. Well a few police departments got Glock 22s with the rails when they first came out had officers start getting a very weird jam involving the gun stripping a round a pinning it to the feed ramp at an angle. Only way to clear the jam was to drop the mag, re-insert the mag, and rack the slide. Funny thing was it didn't happen with all the guns even from the same production batch (unlike the light rail/dust cover splitting).

Anyways turns out that the light being attached stiffened the frame and caused the slide to cycle faster and stripped the rounds to fast for mag spring to keep up. It also adds weight to the front of the gun, which changes the operating physics of the weapon. This is especially important since the Glock 22 orignally used the exact same recoil spring and mag spring set-ups as the Glock 17s. Well Glock went and replaced/upgraded the mag springs and followers I believe and maybe the recoil springs as well and the problem went away.

You see something similar happen in open/nlimited Glock guns that use a mount that attaches to the light rail and the trigger pin hole. They stiffen the frame and cause the slide to speed up a wee bit and you see the same jams. Also you see it at times when you put a steel comp or longer barrel on the guns.

Glocks are just weird that way, the gun was designed to operate as faultless as possible in stock shape, but some of the engineering tolerances are so fine that you start changing things a little and the gun starts mis behaving.

As for the Gen 4, the only differences in the gun are the changes to the texture on the grips (RTF 1 or 2) and the redesign of the cocking serrations on the slide. Both of the which where added to address the common LE complaint that the gun becomes hard to grip with sweaty or wet hands. Otherwise they everything is 100% compatible with the Gen 3 guns.

As for the KBs, the early Glocks had alot of releif cut out of the chamber in the feed ramp area so the gun would feed more reliably on all sorts of ammo. Also Glock chambers are loose. Combine these two factors and you get a situation where if the pressure of a fired round spikes higher then normal the the gun can't contain it. This also isn't helped by the Glocks rifling design. The bore of the glock constricts a little at the start. So when a buller is fired it travels a little bit into the bore, then the bore constricts and forces the bullet into the rifling. With FMJ ammo this isn't a problem, but with lead or plated rounds you get some ablation of material around this portion of the bore and after several shots you can spike the pressure that when combined with the chamber design results in a KB.

Because f the "Glock Love" they tend to get more inter hype and the gunshop commandos propogate the myth alot.

I've got a 17, 2 34s, 17L, 26, 21SF, and a 30. All are high round count guns and all are gen 3. I've ru lights on them as well as shot a bnch of differient ammo (no lead, but lots of plated stuff). Other then my open gun I've never had any issues that weren't related to crappy purchased reloaded ammo.

I've got a buddy (my Glock Pimp) and he is heaveily into the tactical tupperware. Carries a Second gen G22 as a duty gun and is the trainer and armorer for his DPS post in AL. His gun has probably got over 40K in rounds or more on it and only has had the springs changed as a precaution every 10K.

Another gun I shoot steel with runs a G35 and he shoots nothing but lead through it. He's careful not to push it past 1150 fps, and cleans the gun regularly and he's not had a problem and I think he's got atleast 10 - 15K of loads through the gun.

malladus

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    My first Glock was a GEN 3 23. My agency then issued me a Glock GEN 3 22, and I then bought a Glock GEN 3 27 as a backup since the G22 magazines fit in it. I have a Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light combo mounted on the G22 and have NOT had any problems with it so far. I only shoot Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Ranger out of all of them. My Glocks are always a little more dirty since I am lazy about cleaning and they have always shot fine with NO jams. Overall, IMO they are great easy to shoot guns!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    That is my favorite video.

So perfect.

My Gock 19 is my favorite gun.

I believe the Glock probably has the biggest market share of LEO sidearms. I also believe the 40 S&W cartridge is the most common LEO chambering. I know what is popular is not always "best," but I don't think there would need to be too many KB's before EVERYONE knew about it.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Been rocking a G22 since I bought it new in 1994. Not one problem ever.

Stick to factory fmj ammo and don't put a light on it (mine is too early to have a rail) and you're GTG.

-brickboy240

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

i have always been told to stay away from glocks period but specifically the 40 s&w glocks due to the kaboom factor. i would like to hear everyones opinion on this matter because im thinking about picking one up just to play with.

My simple "dope" would be - go with a Sig 40 vs. a glock.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    DD - didn't you end up putting that Porsche body kit on your VW?

Before you answer, remember I know how much you've got in your Glock.

Joat

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    DD - didn't you end up putting that Porsche body kit on your VW?

He went with the RR kit

rr-beetle.gif

Top Bottom