• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    I bought a rifle back in 1976 that sat around in my lake cabin and got pretty gunked up, so I tried to clean it, and not being as knowledgeable as people here, I thought I would ask this question.
    (When I was cleaning the Fire Control Feed Assembly part of it just fell apart and I have a left over spring)

My question is, I think that it'd probably be best if I just bought the parts on e-Bay and replace it all that way, but since this rifle is older, and the parts that I am seeing on there are of the newer versions, would these work in my rifle?
    If I had to I could also get the bolt too, if that'd help.
    I looked at a lot of YouTube videos on how this stuff went back together and I actually got it back together more than a few times, it's just that I have this really, teeny-tiny spring that was left over, now, it may be from my bolt, I am not sure, I don't remember taking it apart at all though.
    Since my rifle is so old, the videos that I have watched have all been from the newer versions, and, from what I gathered, slowly it appears that Marlin has just been upgrading the parts, so that makes me think that if I bought a NEW Fire Control Feed Assembly, that it should fit into my older 1976 Model 60 .22...

Also, getting parts that are newer and more improved is a good thing, I feel, that is another reason I want to buy, rather than fix, but either way, I really would just like to have my .22 back to a working order.

I am not sure what part of the forum that this needs to be in, I just chose the best one as far as a newbie like me would choose. :)

If you know for sure the answer, that would be really a good thing, if you have ideas as to what be a good solution, that's good too!
    Please let me know what you think, I sure would appreciate that.

Thank you!
    Randy
    Hurley's Gold

recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    I actually have looked and looked at those, but as far as I can tell, I cannot see that little-bitty spring.
    It's a mess, so since it is such a mess, rather than put something back together and 'maybe' it'll work, with newer improved parts it might be better. (I could sure be wrong on that though) :)
    It was jamming and would not load ammo at all, hence my cleaning, it hasn't been fired in 'at least' 20 years, and sitting in a cabin evidently made it worse, because it was working fine (as I remember) before I stored it away. (I am pretty sure it was probably dirty though, my bad)

Thank you for your help!

Oh, I guess it would also help to say that I am not as mechanically inclined as a lot of people, I'm not an idiot, but mechanics is not a thing I am known for. :)

recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    Here's what I have. (Please note the very small arrow I placed at the bottom of the image)
    I don't know if this will help, but maybe it will help someone in the future.

DSCN3012_cr.jpg

DSCN3009.JPG

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Best practice when tearing apart something for the first time is take a lot op pictures! Hopefully someone near you will off to try & put it back together or offer to buy it.

recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    Best practice when tearing apart something for the first time is take a lot op pictures! Hopefully someone near you will off to try & put it back together or offer to buy it.
    I actually did take a lot of pictures of it before cleaning, but, like I said, it just fell apart, so I didn't get a chance to see what was what before that happened. I am also, or was, a photographer before I retired. :)
    I know of nobody around me, I know of no one anywhere that has any of this knowledge, I live in Paris, Texas, as far as gunsmiths, shooting ranges, it's oddly dead as can be. I'm from the Dallas area and moved here almost 5 years ago and I was really surprised at how little there was up here.
    Also, I really don't want to sell it either, it 'was' a perfect little rifle before I left it in that cabin all alone. :)

Thank you!

recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    You need to figure out were lubrication of parts needs to go
    Yes, you are right, I know that I need to go through my video collection and see what needs it and what doesn't.
    I'm really above my head, I mean, I 'can' do this stuff, but I can't do brain surgery either, and I want to. heheh
    When I was a kid, I used to work on cars, I have put in transmissions by myself, I have zero want to do mechanical stuff now, something changed, I don't know what, but it did.
    Some people are good at doing some stuff, some aren't, I fall into the, "aren't" category. :)

Thank you!

recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    Also, I didn't notice this at first, but I now see that your image is clickable, that will be very helpful.
    Now I need to take inventory and see what I have and if I am missing anything.
    Thanks also to Baboon for his links to this stuff too.

Even though this is what that spring is, now I am 100% positive, but, as to how it goes together, I still don't know that, in all of the videos I have seen, they just didn't show a tiny spring like this, I watched several too, they just didn't show it, or anything like it. I just felt it was just a new change that Marlin made and it didn't need that spring in the newer versions.
    Thank you!

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Also, I didn't notice this at first, but I now see that your image is clickable, that will be very helpful.
    Now I need to take inventory and see what I have and if I am missing anything.
    Thanks also to Baboon for his links to this stuff too.

Even though this is what that spring is, now I am 100% positive, but, as to how it goes together, I still don't know that, in all of the videos I have seen, they just didn't show a tiny spring like this, I watched several too, they just didn't show it, or anything like it. I just felt it was just a new change that Marlin made and it didn't need that spring in the newer versions.
    Thank you!
    This guy covers the disconnector and spring at 10:50 into the video. He does not remove it though.

recrisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    Paris, Texas
    This guy covers the disconnector and spring at 10:50 into the video. He does not remove it though.

I have watched ALL of Tolly's related videos, he had the best ones that I could see, his are the most clear and explanatory.
    I see now that the spring that I was referring to is there, but, it now has me thinking that I might be confusing that spring with another one that was REALLY small. I mean, I watched his videos over and over, and I did put it together, but I always had a really small spring left over.
    I can't even remember how many springs I had, it's been a couple of months since I tried this, I just kind of put it on the back burner due I wasn't sure about any of it anymore.

As I put stuff up, I placed each part in a baggie, so it would go back together correctly, but as we can see, it didn't.
    Really, before I do more I need to be in the mood to tackle this again, it gets kind of intimidating to me sometimes, and when things go South, it all goes downhill after that. That's another reason why I was aksing about if the newer parts would fit in an older model, it's just buy, place, shoot, or, hopefully. :)

Thank you again for all of your help, that is very nice of you to take the time.

Oh yeah, you are 100% correct about the wife and dog parts, that actually happened TWICE as I was typing replies, or was wanting to, I have FIVE dogs, if one barks, they all do, and that happened twice. MY wife came in twice to tell me about her mother's phone call, etc. I couldn't ask her to leave. Well, I could, I guess, ONCE. heheh

Thank you!

Top Bottom