Patriot Mobile

Glock 17 9mm w/Osprey 45 won't cycle - Need Advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    I have watched countless videos regarding these issues with the browning type slides and was hoping you could advise me exactly what I need to purchase to make this work properly.
    I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer regarding these issues we are having. I'm really confused as I thought the different pistons for the osprey remedied the weight issue. It appears I need a booster/ neilsen device/ lid, etc.
    I have a Gen 4 Glock 17 9mm I'm trying to use with my Osprey 45 suppressor. It will not return to battery properly, it hangs on the shell as it is ejecting. Rocky Top Armory here in Knoxville Tn has been trying different barrels and different weight springs with no success. We are using a 13lb spring now down from the 15.5 it came with.
    What neilsen type device/ LID do you recommend me to use with my osprey 45 I have? There are a lot of available choices it seems. Does SilencerCo or anyone offer something to make the Osprey 45 work with this type slide or do I need what these links below are showing? Please let me know what to do to get this Osprey 45 working with my pistols. I also have a Glock 26 40 cal. we have silencerco piston for but it won't cycle either with the osprey 45. I am now being told that the SilencerCo Osprey 45 Suppressor has the booster device built in so it doesn't require any device. If so then why didn't silencerco tell me that and why won't it work. The spring/piston is lubed correctly and the suppressor is clean like new also the slide is polished slick. We need some advice. Thanks in advance!

https://sdtacticalarms.com/-Booster_p_151.html

https://www.esilencersnow.com/store/p373/L.I.D._Linear_Inertial_Decoupler_.html
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/gem...atte-black-mm9-lid-12-28/FC-609728888954.html
    Lynx Defense

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Glocks dont make good suppressor hosts. You might be better off going to a different platform. Even after you fidget with it you will never really trust its reliability.

Good luck

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    I have watched that video but they aren't using an Osprey 45 suppressor and supposedly the coupler device they are showing in that video is built into the Osprey so that's no help.
    The guy I spoke with at SilencerCo said he is using the same Glock with the Osprey and has no issues and suggested trying the 13 lb spring but that resulted in no change at all. It is suppose to work with my Glock so they say but we can't get there. So basically I'm still trying to find the answer.

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    Thanks for the reply. We have tried all kinds of different ammo with no change at all. We have gone back and forth with the spring no change. We have tried several different brand barrels no change. Rocky Top Armory has tried almost everything and he has a military background and goes all over the country competition shooting so it's not like he is a rookie. The osprey works 100% on a CZ P07 9mm and perfect on most any 45 cal as well with any ammo but will not cycle on the Glock 40 or 9mm no matter what ammo we try. FYI - The Glock 26 40 cal has the factory spring and doesn't cycle. Thanks again!!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks for the reply. We have tried all kinds of different ammo with no change at all. We have gone back and forth with the spring no change. We have tried several different brand barrels no change. Rocky Top Armory has tried almost everything and he has a military background and goes all over the country competition shooting so it's not like he is a rookie. The osprey works 100% on a CZ P07 9mm and perfect on most any 45 cal as well with any ammo but will not cycle on the Glock 40 or 9mm no matter what ammo we try. FYI - The Glock 26 40 cal has the factory spring and doesn't cycle. Thanks again!!

You've mentioned a G26 .40 cal more than once.
    Evidently you have a conversion barrel on it?

My G22 with 9mm conversion barrel won't cycle my Osprey either.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    My first thought is regarding ammo, but you mentioned using different types.

How many different magazines are you using?

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Does it run fine without the can mounted?

Can you manually disengage the piston (by hand, while mounted)?

Given what you've tried so far and assuming both of the above conditions are true (also assuming you're using a proper grip), I would suggest pulling the slide apart, clean it really good, and replacing the extractor, spring, and bearing...

Last edited:

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    Sorry if I have been confusing. I have two Glock pistols. Both have threaded barrels and the osprey has two separate adapters / pistons for each, 9mm and 40 cal. The Osprey 45 will work with many different calibers by using the interchangeable pistons. We have tried several different threaded barrels for each of these pistols to confirm that isn't the issue. We have tried several types of ammo. As the videos all over the internet show the weight of the suppressors on the browning type slides prevent them from returning to battery properly. We were told by many we needed a booster/ linear inertial decoupler / neilsen device but then a large suppressor dealer said it is built in to the silencerco osprey 45 suppressors. So why doesn't it work and why didn't silencerco tell us this. They are basically no help is why we are reaching out to actual users. I hope this helps and we can find a solution. Thanks again!

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    We are using the Glock factory mags. Both pistols and suppressor are still like new, perfectly clean. Both Glock pistols function perfectly without the suppressor. To my knowledge no changes can be made to the piston in the osprey suppressor. You can only interchange them for different calibers. Thanks

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    We are committed to making this suppressor work with these pistols because so many people say they are suppose to work fine just as they are. It would be much easier to by a different pistol but why when these are claimed to be fine in this setup.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I'm assuming the pistons are held in tight by a spring (and not a fixed spacer), correct?

The piston w/ spring is the nielson device. If the piston is attached using a fixed spacer instead of the spring, then it will only function on a fixed-barrel weapon.

The spring is required for a tilting barrel, spacer required for fixed barrel...

353c27fe222b82ddbf3caf7f57ec7807.gif

Attachments

• 353c27fe222b82ddbf3caf7f57ec7807.gif
      353c27fe222b82ddbf3caf7f57ec7807.gif
      2.1 MB · Views: 425
    Top Bottom