Military Camp

Glock 17 9mm w/Osprey 45 won't cycle - Need Advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    We've watched this video as well. Yes, the piston has a spring so it can be used on the pistols.
    can you manually disengage the piston from the locking lugs by hand? Feel anything binding?

If that's good, try some good SD ammo. If still nothing, and you've been sure to use a high and strong grip (not saying you're limp-wristing, but that is the most common reason for this type of failure), then I would try replacing the extractor parts in one of the slides (~$25)

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Sorry if I have been confusing. I have two Glock pistols. Both have threaded barrels and the osprey has two separate adapters / pistons for each, 9mm and 40 cal. The Osprey 45 will work with many different calibers by using the interchangeable pistons. We have tried several different threaded barrels for each of these pistols to confirm that isn't the issue. We have tried several types of ammo. As the videos all over the internet show the weight of the suppressors on the browning type slides prevent them from returning to battery properly. We were told by many we needed a booster/ linear inertial decoupler / neilsen device but then a large suppressor dealer said it is built in to the silencerco osprey 45 suppressors. So why doesn't it work and why didn't silencerco tell us this. They are basically no help is why we are reaching out to actual users. I hope this helps and we can find a solution. Thanks again!

Post a video. Use an iPhone or something with a slo-mo mode of 240 fps so we can see what is going on. If it is not going back into battery that is a weak spring.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Post a video. Use an iPhone or something with a slo-mo mode of 240 fps so we can see what is going on. If it is not going back into battery that is a weak spring.
    OP was a bit unclear, but from the original description, it doesn't sound like it's getting that far into the cycle (which also fits with what he said about trying different rsa springs with no effect).

....It will not return to battery properly, it hangs on the shell as it is ejecting...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    OP was a bit unclear, but from the original description, it doesn't sound like it's getting that far into the cycle (which also fits with what he said about trying different rsa springs with no effect).

Agreed, it is unclear what the issue really is, as in post I quoted he wrote, "As the videos all over the internet show the weight of the suppressors on the browning type slides prevent them from returning to battery properly"

So a video will help us diagnose what is really going on.

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    SilencerCo said using the 13lb spring versus the stock 15.5lb spring would resolve the issue. Nothing changed. So what pound spring should we try? No binding anywhere. Two of us have tried shooting them and one is a competition shooter so I'd assume he knows about the high firm grip but I'll ask him. He has tried all kinds of hot ammo also.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    SilencerCo said using the 13lb spring versus the stock 15.5lb spring would resolve the issue. Nothing changed. So what pound spring should we try? No binding anywhere. Two of us have tried shooting them and one is a competition shooter so I'd assume he knows about the high firm grip but I'll ask him. He has tried all kinds of hot ammo also.

Throwing parts at it is a waste of time till we know what the issue is. No offense, but I am not even convinced the gun/can is properly configured since you did not even know the booster was contained inside the rear of the Osprey.

eta

And while I no longer have a Osprey45, when I did, it worked fine on my g17. And I currently do have an Osprey40, which works fine on G17...

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    Throwing parts at it is a waste of time till we know what the issue is. No offense, but I am not even convinced the gun/can is properly configured since you did not even know the booster was contained inside the rear of the Osprey.
    Rocky Top Armory has been selling them for years and didn't know either. What is required to be "properly configured"?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Rocky Top Armory has been selling them for years and didn't know either. What is required to be "properly configured"?

That you have the correct booster assembly correctly installed and working on the gun.

I would add "Rocky Top Armory" to my list of places not go to. Selling them for years and do not know this? They are dumber than a box of rocks.

Last edited:

Wober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2020
    Kodak, TN
    That you have the correct booster assembly correctly installed and working on the gun.
    I understand and appreciate you trying to advise me. One piston / booster for the Osprey 45 will only thread onto the 9mm barrel and one piston / booster for the Osprey 45 will only thread onto the 40 cal. barrel. Both pistons and Osprey 45 are from and branded Silencerco. It appears there is only one way to install it and use the Osprey on the gun. So I'm still not understanding how it could not be properly configured......please advise. Thanks

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I understand and appreciate you trying to advise me. One piston / booster for the Osprey 45 will only thread onto the 9mm barrel and one piston / booster for the Osprey 45 will only thread onto the 40 cal. barrel. Both pistons and Osprey 45 are from and branded Silencerco. It appears there is only one way to install it and use the Osprey on the gun. So I'm still not understanding how it could not be properly configured......please advise. Thanks

1) Is the silencer indexed vertically to the gun?

2) With silencer attached, pull gun/silencer in opposite directions, does the piston slide out of the silencer and then snap back?

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    With silencer attached, pull gun/silencer in opposite directions, does the piston slide out of the silencer and then snap back?

^yes, this is what I was referring to earlier (manual disengagement). If it doesn't move freely (though under pressure) or is binding, it'll give you problems...

Also, additional "time-sliced" detail helps...Is the fired casing ejected, or does it freeze with case still fully/partially in the chamber? If it ejects, which direction does it go, and where exactly does the new round hang-up?

Specificity with regard to the failure mode, conditions & effects is by far the best (and sometimes only) way to get a proper diagnosis (e.g. describe exactly what fails, where it fails, what it looks like when it fails, what step was supposed to come next, etc.)

With all due respect to the OP, if it's happening on multiple known-good platforms and with known-good factory self-defense rounds, that is a stong indicator of user error - either in the assembly of the booster (the pistons are just threaded differently for different calibers/barrels), or in the handling of the weapon. With additional detail comes the additional clarity required to avoid random ineffective troubleshooting.

Just my .02

ETA: it makes a huge difference as to root cause whether the fired case fails to extract/eject or the slide fails to go back into battery with the next round (they may be part of same overall cycling process, but are very different operations)

Last edited:

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I thought the OP was only having issues with the Glock, and it worked fine on everything else?

Two pistols, both glocks, which may possibly indicate an issue with the grip since it runs on another tilting-barrel system...

....I have two Glock pistols. Both have threaded barrels and the osprey has two separate adapters / pistons for each, 9mm and 40 cal.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Looks pretty much like what I stated....

Agreed, the point I was trying to clarify that if it's happening on both g17 and converted g26, I would look at that a bit differently than if it was just the 26 in both configs...(the converted g26 is not suprising, but the g17.4 should run like a top until it gets too dirty).

That's 2 (both) Glock-platform hosts that fail, and a CZ host that works fine...

Looking at commonalities/differences, and knowing first-hand that a solidly operational g17 is a great supressor host; off the top of my head, the material difference I see would be the grip style/angle (fails with grip on Glock, runs with Grip on CZ).

G17 and CZ would likely be using the same 1/2×28 piston (unless its a factory Glock barrel with 13.5x1LH threads), so no commonality there, fails on glock with both 9mm piston and the .40 (9/16×24) piston (no second data point for the .40 piston, but failure-weighted).

---All 3 weapons funtion just fine without the can.
    ---Both Glock & CZ have a tilting-bbl system
    ---Both Glocks (fails) have identical ergonomics/ grip angles (possible use of backstraps notwithstanding); but are different than the CZ
    ---Solid operation on the CZ host would incline me to believe that the piston is (or at least has been) installed correctly and functional.
    ---Assuming both 9mm hosts are threaded 1/2x28, it's likely a safe assumption that having successfully fired the CZ w/can, the OP would have moved it to the g17 without changing pistons, which if correct, ties up a few "loose end" variables and reduces the number of potential failure root-causes.
    ---If we also assume that good ammo being used and all other parts being assembled correctly, that seems to narrow things down fairly well.
    ---If the fired case is not extracting/ejecting, that might indicate an issue with the extractor cpmponents (unlikely to have bad components on two factory Glock slides in possesion of single owner...)
    ---If the fired case ejects and the new round is stripped off the top of the mag but not going fully back into battery, that may be the RSA spring, but could also be something out-of-spec (less likely as functions fine without can).
    ---If fired case ejects but slide jams up on next case without stripping from mag, then may need stronger mag spring (to account for additional slide velocity from suppressor backpressure).
    ---There are some people, including experienced shooters, who have issues with case ejection/short-stroking when moving to a Glock platform from some others. Not saying thats the case here, but seen it happen with several folks over the years....there's no shame in it, but it is indeed a thing, and something which can be trained away once acknowledged. With the details provided, and if the stated assumptipns are correct, I'm leaning towards this (human error/training) as being a likely culprit...

Finally, while I agree that a video may be helpful; an exact description of where, when, and how the failure occurs would be ideal - especially if accompanied by hi-res pictures of the weapon/casing immediately after the failure occurs (pics in it's failed/resting state).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom