APOD Firearms

Glock 17 Survives 18-Year, 250,000-Round Torture Test Including 6 Months in Ocean

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    This is worth the read whether you hate, love or are indifferent to Glocks. Here is an excerpt:

Eighteen years and 250,000 rounds later, after immersion in both fresh and salt water dozens of times; being tossed into the sand, dust, snow, mud and grit; being presented from a holster and fired constantly in temperatures ranging from sub-zero to over 100 degrees; and even being left on the bottom of the ocean for six months, my conclusion is that the test Glock 17 is without a doubt a heck of a pistol.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/05/23/glock-17-torture-test-ocean/

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was a huge fan of the Glock for years, even carried one in Bosnia; but when the XD came out I found the 1911-angled grip to be far more ergonomic for my tastes.

Essentially the XD is a Croatian-made Glock clone, but I found the line as "evolved" more to my liking than its Austrian cousin.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    As I have said many times before, I am a die hard 1911 guy. That being said, I carry a Gen 4 G19 in my console for security. You can't argue with success.

I heard Glock pistols came into existence because of a company new product idea contest. The company made polymer items and was looking for something new to make. The Glock came into existence almost by accident. Love 'em or hate 'em, you have to admit they work.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#History

In 1980, the Austrian Armed Forces announced that it would seek tenders for a new, modern duty pistol to replace their World War II-era Walther P38 handguns.[10] The Austrian Ministry of Defence formulated a list of 17 criteria for the new generation service pistol, including requirements that it would be self loading; fire the NATO-standard 9×19 mm Parabellum round; the magazines were not to require any means of assistance for loading; be secure against accidental discharge from shock, strike, and drop from a height of 2 m onto a steel plate.[5] After firing 15,000-rounds of standard ammunition, the pistol was to be inspected for wear. The pistol was to then be used to fire an overpressure test cartridge generating 5,000 bar (500 MPa; 73,000 psi). (The normal maximum operating pressure Pmax for the 9mm NATO is rated at 2,520 bar (252 MPa; 36,500 psi).)[11]

Glock became aware of the Austrian Army's planned procurement, and in 1982 assembled a team of Europe's leading handgun experts from military, police, and civilian sport-shooting circles to define the most desirable characteristics in a combat pistol.[5] Within three months, Glock developed a working prototype that combined proven mechanisms and traits from previous pistol designs.[12] In addition the plan was to make extensive use of synthetic materials and modern manufacturing technologies, to make it a very cost-effective candidate.

Several samples of the 9×19mm Glock 17 (so named because it was the 17th patent procured by the company[13]) were submitted for assessment trials in early 1982, and after passing all of the exhaustive endurance and abuse tests, the Glock emerged as the winner.[14][15][16]

The handgun was adopted into service with the Austrian military and police forces in 1982 as the P80 (Pistole 80),[17] with an initial order for 25,000 guns.[12] The Glock 17 outperformed eight different pistols from five other established manufacturers (Heckler & Koch of Germany offered their P7M8, P7M13, and P9S, SIG Sauer of Switzerland bid with their P220 and P226 models, Beretta of Italy submitted their model 92SB-F, FN Herstal proposed an updated variant of the Browning Hi-Power, and the home-grown Steyr Mannlicher entered the competition with the GB).[18]

The results of the Austrian trials sparked a wave of interest in Western Europe and overseas, particularly in the United States, where a similar effort to select a service-wide replacement for the M1911 had been going on since the late 1970s (known as the Joint Service Small Arms Program). In late 1983, the United States Department of Defense inquired about the Glock pistol and received four samples of the Glock 17 for unofficial evaluation.[19] Glock was then invited to participate in the XM9 Personal Defense Pistol Trials, but declined because the DOD specifications would require extensive retooling of production equipment and providing 35 test samples in an unrealistic time frame.[19]

Shortly thereafter, the Glock 17 was accepted into service with the Norwegian and Swedish armed forces, surpassing all prior NATO durability standards.[19] As a result, the Glock 17 became a standard NATO-classified sidearm and was granted a NATO stock number (1005-25-133-6775).[19] By 1992, some 350,000 pistols had been sold in more than 45 countries, including 250,000 in the United States alone.[17]

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I read a magazine article about how Glock originally decided to get into the firearms business. Your article is correct starting from 1980. The article claims the initial idea was the result of a challenge Gaston made to his employees to find another way to expand his polymer business.

From Wikipedia:
    "The company's founder, engineer Gaston Glock, had no experience with firearms design or manufacture at the time their first pistol, the Glock 17, was being prototyped. Glock did, however, have extensive experience in advanced synthetic polymers, knowledge of which was instrumental in the company's design of the first commercially successful line of pistols with a polymer frame."

I am sure some Glock fanatic knows the complete history of how Glock got into the firearms market and changed the history of the firearms world forever.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Holy-Grail.gif

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    This is honestly the point I try to make everytime this comes up. There is no denying they make a great gun even if other folks choose to use something else

Fan bois think a solid gun makes it perfect for everyone, for every use.

While detractors will focus on everything that makes it less-than-perfect for everyone, for every use.

As usual, there’s a gray area in there, where they actually reside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom