Target Sports

Glock 17 Survives 18-Year, 250,000-Round Torture Test Including 6 Months in Ocean

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Love my Glocks and am not afraid to admit it.

I wish they made a 1911 so there would be one worth owning.

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Don’t have a glock, never shot a glock. So, I’ll ask this:

Other than “no cleaning for the first 10,000”, what are the details around the wet environment ops?

I know for a fact that stuff submerged in the ocean can withstand close to, if not more than 100 years of submersion without significant problems as there is no oxygen in that environment.

My question would be what measures were taken upon recovery before the weapon was fired. That isn’t clear from the article.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I like Glocks. They are solid, simple pistols that work and are easy to maintain. 1911s are fun to shoot, but a pain to maintain. But both can't compare in toughness to my Ruger pistols......

....I also have a Taurus PT145.....oddly enough, it works too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

davis449

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    My XDm is one of my "stashed" guns at home.

But a Glock 22 is my bedside gun.

Wow. Same here. The XDM 3.8 is the first pistol I bought. I really need to shoot it more as I do really love that gun, but modding my Glocks and shooting the crap out of them has taken up most of my range time as of late.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Whether you love or hate them Glock is the reason semi automatic pistols have become what they are. It's the kind of gun that will go bang when you pull hte trigger and be fairly accurate. I have no problem with Glocks.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    My XDm is one of my "stashed" guns at home.

But a Glock 22 is my bedside gun.

I own/build a lot more 1911's but my nightstand gun is a CZ 97. The one in my desk is a CZ 75 Shadow. The spouses is a CZ compact. All are full Cajun custom pieces. There are some 1911's in the HD mix as well.

Glocks hate me. They always have.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Glock is what a Springfield XD and all it’s variants WISHES it was.

Springfield bought the HS 2000 factory in Croatia so they could have a gun to compete with Glock
    The HS2000s were dirt cheap until Springfield bought them.
    I guess they were/are decent enough pistols but I like my Glocks better

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Purchased a Glock, tried it, didn't like it but it obviously has it's fan base just like the 1911 which I also purchased and did not like either. Beretta and CZ for me.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Purchased a Glock, tried it, didn't like it but it obviously has it's fan base just like the 1911 which I also purchased and did not like either. Beretta and CZ for me.

I think I have done this with every major brand. But I always end up with Glock again but I do carry a CZ RAMI BD which I do enjoy.

I loved Beretta until I shot one as a civilian then I really didn't like them anymore : /

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Don’t have a glock, never shot a glock. So, I’ll ask this:

Other than “no cleaning for the first 10,000”, what are the details around the wet environment ops?

I know for a fact that stuff submerged in the ocean can withstand close to, if not more than 100 years of submersion without significant problems as there is no oxygen in that environment.

My question would be what measures were taken upon recovery before the weapon was fired. That isn’t clear from the article.

??? Huh? No oxygen? Water is one part H and 2 parts O. Fish gotta breathe...

Ever see a shipwreck? Metal bridge over salt water? Every untreated steel part swiftly rusts.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    ??? Huh? No oxygen? Water is one part H and 2 parts O. Fish gotta breathe...

Ever see a shipwreck? Metal bridge over salt water? Every untreated steel part swiftly rusts.

Sort of right.

Except that shipwrecks last a very long time at the bottom of the ocean and often it is that submersion that prevents them from rusting away to nothing.

The Hunley is a great example of this. It would have been gone long ago if it hadn’t remained submerged despite it being submerged in salt water. It would be gone now had it been sitting on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    It's not the O in H2O that causes rust. It's the O2 that is dissolved in the water. The fish don't chemically break the water bonds to get the Oxygen needed. They remove the dissolved O2 from the water.

Top Bottom