Glock 17L - The Latest

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Texas1911, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well, I decided to pick up my first Glock. I was a bit confused if I wanted to get a G34 or a G19, mainly due to the cost of ammo in anything but 9mm. I picked this up at the TGT / Shiloh Shoot from Jeff at Shiloh Indoor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a smooth gun. The trigger needs some break-in as it's a bit tighter than I'd like, but after a few hundred rounds it'll be a fun pistol.

First mod is going to be some grip work, the plastic is slippery. I talked to Dale Hunnicut about his fiberglass impregnated stuff and I think I might go that route. Who knows, might even get into the IPSC stuff.

2. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    dale's work is top notch. im gonna hand him the gp6 when i eventually get one. lol.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I didn't think to ask him what he charges for the grip treatment on the frame. I don't need a giant magwell. Mind digging that info up for me?

4. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Nice,

So what is envolved in grip work. My Glock 27 is pretty slippery.

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
  6. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Sweet,I like the 33 round mag in that gun.Are you going to upgrade the sights?

7. malladus

malladus Active Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Nice 17L, its the last 9mm Glock that is on my to buy list.

I would ditch the sights, they work pretty good, but are plastic and have a tendency to get wonky really fast with hard use.

For the trigger, about 500 rounds and it should start to get really nice. Even the supposedly competition model glocks still come from the factory with unpolished bearing surfaces on the all the trigger parts.

My glock pimp has a early model 17L he got from CDNN from some european antiterrorist group. The trigger on it is smooth from a long lifetime of use.

Shooting wise, the 34 is a wee bit easier to drive then the 17L. The 34 was specifically designed for the IDPA box. Also the longer slide on the 17L and barrel length gives longer lock up times and a slower cycle speed. You can mess somewhat with it through replacing the recoil and striker springs.

Theoretically the 34 and 17L shoot about the same right out of the box with the same sights. Alot of shooters that compete with Glocks moved away from the 17L/24 platform to the 34/35 platforms when they came out because they point easier and bring the weight of the gun more over the shooters hand rather then out of the barrel. Now for target style shooting the 17L is better because of the longer sight radius. For GSSF competition you rarely see 17Ls in competition class since the 34's came out. Once you move to indoor GSSF competition though the 17Ls become more common since its pretty much timed bullseye shooting.

Having said that, I'm looking to replace my 34 for GSSF competition class with a 17L just because I like long slide guns.

Malladus

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what I wanted... either the G19, G17L, or the G34. I just went with the 17L.

9. malladus

malladus Active Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Well if you get bored with it or have second thoughts I'll swap you a G34 for it.

Malladus

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I half thought about that. :happy0001: