• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well, I decided to pick up my first Glock. I was a bit confused if I wanted to get a G34 or a G19, mainly due to the cost of ammo in anything but 9mm. I picked this up at the TGT / Shiloh Shoot from Jeff at Shiloh Indoor.

g175.jpg

g176.jpg

g177.jpg

It's a smooth gun. The trigger needs some break-in as it's a bit tighter than I'd like, but after a few hundred rounds it'll be a fun pistol.

First mod is going to be some grip work, the plastic is slippery. I talked to Dale Hunnicut about his fiberglass impregnated stuff and I think I might go that route. Who knows, might even get into the IPSC stuff.
    Texas SOT

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Sweet,I like the 33 round mag in that gun.Are you going to upgrade the sights?

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Nice 17L, its the last 9mm Glock that is on my to buy list.

I would ditch the sights, they work pretty good, but are plastic and have a tendency to get wonky really fast with hard use.

For the trigger, about 500 rounds and it should start to get really nice. Even the supposedly competition model glocks still come from the factory with unpolished bearing surfaces on the all the trigger parts.

My glock pimp has a early model 17L he got from CDNN from some european antiterrorist group. The trigger on it is smooth from a long lifetime of use.

Shooting wise, the 34 is a wee bit easier to drive then the 17L. The 34 was specifically designed for the IDPA box. Also the longer slide on the 17L and barrel length gives longer lock up times and a slower cycle speed. You can mess somewhat with it through replacing the recoil and striker springs.

Theoretically the 34 and 17L shoot about the same right out of the box with the same sights. Alot of shooters that compete with Glocks moved away from the 17L/24 platform to the 34/35 platforms when they came out because they point easier and bring the weight of the gun more over the shooters hand rather then out of the barrel. Now for target style shooting the 17L is better because of the longer sight radius. For GSSF competition you rarely see 17Ls in competition class since the 34's came out. Once you move to indoor GSSF competition though the 17Ls become more common since its pretty much timed bullseye shooting.

Having said that, I'm looking to replace my 34 for GSSF competition class with a 17L just because I like long slide guns.

Malladus

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    .25 trigger job is just that, cheap IMO. just is only my opinion, i rather spend a good hr or two and stone polish the internals and change a few things. my g19 shouldnt be carried lozl! i think my next mod will be pre/over travel stops. but im opting out of doing it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think the Glock needs travel stops, the trigger isn't heavy, and the reset is good and positive. It's just the first shot that would benefit from taking up the slack.

Top Bottom