• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Oddly enough I sold my SiGs and 1911s after I shot my first Glock to fund buying more Glocks. Like its been said before, all a matter of intended use and personal preference.

malladus

I know and accept it is personal preference but I can't resist the Glock vs. Sig debate. BTW, I know, I am just a smart a$$....LOL

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    It can't be everyone. Have you ever shot a Sig? If not, once you do, Glock will be simply an after thought considered merely to be a "less expensive" proposition.

I haven't shot a Sig yet as the majority I have held don't feel right in my hand, but I want to like them. I have sold all my Glock's for 1911's though.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The 34 is a better competition gun. The muzzle flip is from the lack of weight compared to the XDM, and frankly ... neither has much flip to begin with. My Glock 19 has very little muzzle flip and the 34 has a much better system going for it. Look into your grip.

As far as the XD being better ... it's all preference. I find the XDs to have way too much recoil spring tension, and don't care for the funky grip safety. The grip safety on them is not in the same ball-park in functionality as the 1911.

Neither the Glock or XD have a good trigger. Reset is very firm and positive with the Glock though, that's one thing I like about it.

In the hundreds of thousands of rounds that I've seen put through Glocks ... I've never seen one fail, and that includes guide rods, etc. I have seen XDs lock-up to the point where you have to know a special trick to un-stick the slide. It's possible it's ammo related ... but everything else on the range eats the same ammo without a problem.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The only reason the slides lock up on XDs are when they are assembled wrong. I have never seen nor heard of one do that while being shot, and this from someone who has been on XDTalk for several years.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The only reason the slides lock up on XDs are when they are assembled wrong. I have never seen nor heard of one do that while being shot, and this from someone who has been on XDTalk for several years.

I've had to fix at least 5 XDs that did this at the range. They lock up with a live one in the chamber, but are out of battery. It's almost like it's an OAL issue with the ammo, but it's been a variation of factory ammo that has caused this.

You can't pull the slide back, and you can't fire it (out of battery). The solution is to hold it with one hand and palm strike the handle. Some of them take 2 or 3 good hits to come open. Once you get them unstuck they work just fine.

If this were a self-defense situation you would be screwed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Really, that's interesting because on XD Talk there are thousands of XD owners and I don't recall hearing of this alleged problem...you'd think if there was such a big issue with the XD that it would be very well known throughout the shooting world; but they continue to be some of the best selling polymer semi-autos on the market.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    All I have heard from everyone is the Glock is the best. Well, IMO its is a good gun. I just purchased a Glock 34. I was really surprised how good it felt in my hand. It is light, for a full size. It is very accurate. And best of all, it's not that expensive. But, not the quality of the XDm. The big thing about the XDm is, not good out of the box. After about 2500 rounds and she gets broke in, totally different gun. I don't like the muzzel flip of the G34. I need to change out the guide and spring to a heavy duty metal guide and better spring. But the bottom line, IMO the XDm is a better gun. Love the Glock! Prefer the XDm!

Sorry you did not have a 100% on the XDm right out of the box.
    My XDm9mm has been 100% from the get go in every way.
    Same for my G17. My 17 has been perfect (just like the XDm) since I bought it. As you say, very light, accurate, but even with the shorter slide I have not had and recoil issues.
    Looks like the G34 is a 9mm long slide. Seems it would be better than the G17 where the recoil is concerned.
    Have you looked in to the new Gen 4s. They are supposed to have improved recoil springs.

sud123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Allen
    Frankly, I like Glock just fine. Have shot the 19 several times and would not hesitate to buy one. But,,,,, I do have 3 XD's and a Springfield 1911 TRP. Stilll getting used to the TRP but,,,,, The 3 XD's have been great, just like the glocks. I do like the grip safety, mainly because when I carry CCW, I like that one extra safety precaution just in case "I" screw up. You screw up with a glock and it goes bang. No matter how experienced you may think you are, sometimes things go bad and we mess up. I certainly am not perfect and like the added feature.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Frankly, I like Glock just fine. Have shot the 19 several times and would not hesitate to buy one. But,,,,, I do have 3 XD's and a Springfield 1911 TRP. Stilll getting used to the TRP but,,,,, The 3 XD's have been great, just like the glocks. I do like the grip safety, mainly because when I carry CCW, I like that one extra safety precaution just in case "I" screw up. You screw up with a glock and it goes bang. No matter how experienced you may think you are, sometimes things go bad and we mess up. I certainly am not perfect and like the added feature.

I don't see how a grip safety would make you any safer with a gun. A gun won't go off unless you are holding it. You can screw up with an XD (or anything else with a grip safety) just as easily as any other gun. 99% of shooter screw ups occur when a shooter's hands are wrapped around the grip. Most accidents are BECAUSE someone has their hands on the gun when they shouldn't. A gun on a table or in a holster won't go off, and the addiction of a grip safety will neither increase nor decrease the safety of the gun or shooter. On a theoretical basis, I'd say it is just one more thing to go wrong, but I believe they have worked the kinks on the grip safeties.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    thats how i feel about the safety on the xd's. i just have to have the extra assurance of a safety. glocks are extremely nice and id love to own one or two but ive been through four xd's and hated selling everyone of them :( .... hopefully soon i will be able to grab another one cause they are just damn fine guns.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I actually started out shooting with a Springfield XD 40. Outside of my Army issued M-9; it was the only handgun I had ever fired. I recently bought a Glock 23, just because I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase another handgun and I have to tell you my only debate is which one I love more. IMO they are both excellent weapons and either will suit any need you may possibly have be it full on tactical service or a concealed carry pistol. Both weapons are great options and the only real debate in my opinion would be the availability of mods and accessories for either firearm

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    That video was FANTASTIC and full of TRUTH! Man, I need to do the clue dance since I can't decide on a xD or a Glock....hahahaha...where is that field of clues???

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Well it sounds like I own 2 great guns. The Glock 34 has had 2500 round thru it and shoots great. The XDM over 10k rounds and not a single failure. All reloads.

Top Bottom