TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    glock41.jpg

glock42.jpg

glock43.jpg

Glock's new 4th generation frames are trickling out onto market, and I must say, contrary to what alot of the net has to say, it's an step in the right direction. The stippling is finally effective, in fact, it is down right aggressive.

The cocking serrations are easily the most obvious change from the traditional straight serrations. Like the M&P the serrations work quite well. They bite into your fingers, which is what they SHOULD do. The older Glocks, Kimbers, etc. that have wide spaced straight serrations are prone to slipping with either cold hands, or slick hands (blood, water, sweat, etc.). They aren't sharp enough, and they aren't deep enough... the new 4th gen solved both issues.

To put it simply, Glock purists will scoff, but those that want a defensive pistol that just down right works... the 4th Gen is the next step towards perfection.
    Target Sports

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have to say, after just having handled one today, I reverse my previous position. While I still feel they could have done more aesthetically, surprisingly the stippling and serrations are pretty darn effective. I actually do like the gen 4's quite a bit now. I'm not in a rush to go out and buy one but, it is a worthwhile update IMO.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    That's the type 1 Stippling too boot. They have a type 2 that is more aggressive, but the hivemind is out on whether its going to be general released or is meant to satisfy contract buys.

The one I shot handled quite well, I think the competition shooters are waiting to get their hands on them to see how well the grip design does compared to the 3rd gen grenade grips. The improvement isn't enough for me to run out and start replacing my frames, but I may look into one when I get around to purchasing a 22.

malladus

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Why didn't they ditch the awful "hump" on the backstrap? Thats the worst part of all Glock pistols - that awful hump, that causes everyone to point it high and digs into your palm...especially on the really small Glocks. They're the only maker that has this annoying "cowbell" like bottom to their gripframe that makes their pistol not point naturally and causes you to have to cant your wrist in an unnatural manner.

My personal G22 has Dale's grip mods and man....that made an uncomfortable pistol a very nice pointing piece! Amazing what the grip mod does to the feel of the Glock. Now, I have 1911 pointability and Glock's durability and relaibility...best of both worlds.

With the popularity of the XD and M&P and other polymer pistols coming into the market with changeable backstraps and flatter backstraps (like the FNP-9 and HK P2000) you'd think Glock would catch on.

I love the Glock for its durability, simplicity and reliability....but unless you modify the backstrap...I think their ergonomics are absolutely terrible and unnatural.

- Brickboy240

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I cant comment on the effectiveness of the stipling or the serrations, but if they work as advertized its a step in the right direction.

However, you have got to be $hitting me. That is all the wunderkinder can come up with??? The stiping and serrations were the least of the problems with the Glock frames. I like my Glocks, but the things they changed are easy do it yourself fixes. How about slimming down the frames a bit more. There are better polymers out there now that dont require the same wall thicknesses to achieve the same strength and durability. Maybe swappable backstraps so that people can customize without having to go to a smith. Guess it was cheaper to rework old tools than actually invest in something new. To me this is the same thing as GM changing the color of the body trim and calling it a new model.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Yeah...knids like GM selling you a boxy Suburban for 15 grand more and calling it a Hummer or Escalade! LOL

- brickboy240

LOL, not quite that bad as I havent seen a price increase yet. Finally had a chance to handle the new frame. The stipling job on the frame feels very good in the hand. Aggressive but should not be painful, well atleast as far as I could tell without shooting the thing.

On the whole I still think it amounts to a fluff job though. Lots of could have, should have, would have's left on the frame still. Hopefully, they are working on something and jut put this out to appease some.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    However, you have got to be $hitting me. That is all the wunderkinder can come up with??? The stiping and serrations were the least of the problems with the Glock frames. I like my Glocks, but the things they changed are easy do it yourself fixes. How about slimming down the frames a bit more. There are better polymers out there now that dont require the same wall thicknesses to achieve the same strength and durability. Maybe swappable backstraps so that people can customize without having to go to a smith. Guess it was cheaper to rework old tools than actually invest in something new. To me this is the same thing as GM changing the color of the body trim and calling it a new model.

This is a mere observation, but the mag well area appears to be more tapered and slim, similar to the SF modifications. It translates to nothing in the hand, but it's a change none-the-less.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    This is a mere observation, but the mag well area appears to be more tapered and slim, similar to the SF modifications. It translates to nothing in the hand, but it's a change none-the-less.

Not really sure. I held a 22 old and new side by side and didnt feel a thing. I also didnt take calipers to the thing, so they could have made some slight changes to slim it down some. I can definitely feel the change in the 21SF and standard 21, so they didnt slim the 22 down that much.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not really sure. I held a 22 old and new side by side and didnt feel a thing. I also didnt take calipers to the thing, so they could have made some slight changes to slim it down some. I can definitely feel the change in the 21SF and standard 21, so they didnt slim the 22 down that much.

It's not in the feel of the gun, just the magwell is more refined and smooth.

Top Bottom