• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Let's broaden this forum's readership into several firearms that have had a significant impact in all sorts of ways; Glock pistols, AK-47 and all the guns of John Moses Browning.

I have read the following books and recommend all to the gun fanboys/girls on this forum.

First up as a long-time (1990s) Glock fanboy read; Glock: The Rise of American's Gun. It was most interesting to pull back the curtain on this unique pistol from the 1980s that captured so much of the American market and is still so dominant. Yes, I know all about PERFECTION and have been supporting Glock after market part suppliers for years.

Next up is The Gun which we know as the AK-47. It covers the origins of the design, its invention and distribution, and the consequences of the pattern's spread around the world. I was tempted to buy one over the years but several operating features made me choose the AR-15 pattern rifle instead.

And if I still have any John Moses Browning fanboys/girls still reading you will really want to read; The Guns of John Moses Browning: The Remarkable Story of the Inventor Whose Firearms Changed the World. My book review is below:

A Colt 1911 was one of my first guns back in the last century. JMB was a very prolific inventor with over 128 patents. His guns for the most part were designed in the late 19th and early 20th century. And the designs are still in use today and/or copied now that patents are expired. The book explains his very first gun designed and built as a youth, 8 year patent dispute with Luger, almost 20 years connection to Winchester before switching to Fabrique Nationale (now FN Herstal). There are several chapters devoted just to the development of each type of firearm he created; single shot rifle, lever action rifles, pump shotguns then semi-automatic, pistols and machine guns. The book doesn't end with his death in 1926 but continues with stories of his guns being used in WWII; .50cal M2 (MaDuce) in Eighth Air Force in Europe and the Browning. 30cal Heavy Machine Gun in the Pacific battles.

Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• Glock.jpg
      Glock.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 78
    • The Gun.jpg
      The Gun.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 71
    • JMB.jpg
      JMB.jpg
      231.6 KB · Views: 72

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Let's broaden this forum's readership into several firearms that have had a significant impact in all sorts of ways; Glock pistols, AK-47 and all the guns of John Moses Browning.

I have read the following books and recommend all to the gun fanboys/girls on this forum.

First up as a long-time (1990s) Glock fanboy read; Glock: The Rise of American's Gun. It was most interesting to pull back the curtain on this unique pistol from the 1980s that captured so much of the American market and is still so dominant. Yes, I know all about PERFECTION and have been supporting Glock after market part suppliers for years.

Next up is The Gun which we know as the AK-47. It covers the origins of the design, its invention and distribution, and the consequences of the pattern's spread around the world. I was tempted to buy one over the years but several operating features made me choose the AR-15 pattern rifle instead.

And if I still have any John Moses Browning fanboys/girls still reading you will really want to read; The Guns of John Moses Browning: The Remarkable Story of the Inventor Whose Firearms Changed the World. My book review is below:

A Colt 1911 was one of my first guns back in the last century. JMB was a very prolific inventor with over 128 patents. His guns for the most part were designed in the late 19th and early 20th century. And the designs are still in use today and/or copied now that patents are expired. The book explains his very first gun designed and built as a youth, 8 year patent dispute with Luger, almost 20 years connection to Winchester before switching to Fabrique Nationale (now FN Herstal). There are several chapters devoted just to the development of each type of firearm he created; single shot rifle, lever action rifles, pump shotguns then semi-automatic, pistols and machine guns. The book doesn't end with his death in 1926 but continues with stories of his guns being used in WWII; .50cal M2 (MaDuce) in Eighth Air Force in Europe and the Browning. 30cal Heavy Machine Gun in the Pacific battles.

Attachments

• Glock.jpg
      Glock.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 76
    • The Gun.jpg
      The Gun.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 70
    • JMB.jpg
      JMB.jpg
      231.6 KB · Views: 72
    Top Bottom