• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Interesting. I've shot matches in pretty much almost every type of weather (wet, cold, snow, rain, heat, dust, etc.) and never had any issues with any of mine except the race gun. It didn't like dry, dusty, 100+ temps. Got some grit into it and with the springs being lighter then normal it wouldn't go into battery all the way at times.

Anytime I hear these stories and the words Winchester white box together though I always suspect the ammo first. There is nothing really in the Glock that should be affected that much by the cold and wet, heck you can actually fire the gun underwater if you are into those type of things (youtube it to see that).

Did you check to see if you were picking up crud in the mags or chamber? How old are the mags? Which followers are you using in them? How cold is cold? How lubed up was the gun? You got a plug in the grip? Any mods too it?

Malladus

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    My guess would be that it's not the firearm or the ammo if they have both worked with good results before but the lube you're using on them. I've have problems with different oils gumming up some in cold weather, I have since whiched to Weapons Shield and it's worked great in the cold and snow in Alaska from the heat of the desert all over the middle east.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've fired a Sig P232 in near freezing temperatures with rain, I was using the cheapest steel-cased brown bear I could find and had no problems. I was using Hoppes oil. I've also fired my AR in sub-freezing temperatures with an oil called Pro-Tec, but it gave me a horrible rash so I discontinued use. I've switched to M-pro 7 since but haven't run it in anything but hot conditions; I've had zero problems.

I agree with trying a different oil.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    You should not have problems charging your firearm(especially a Glock).Have it checked.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Just out of curiosity how much oil are you putting on the gun?

I got thinking about some stuff from the Glock armorer's course I got to sit in on. The tend to act out somewhat like you described when they are over lubed.

Malladus

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    As odd as it may sound you may have over oiled it somewhat. Not sure if that is the problem, but it probably doesn't help any.

Basically you need to only put a drop of lube in only a few places on a Glock. They are meant to run dry compared to alot of other pistols, especially 1911s.

Glock Pistols - GLOCKMEISTER - Glock Parts, Glock Accessories and Lots of FREE Glock Information.

That's from glockmeister and is a good figure of where you should oil. And never ever lube anything in the striker group inside the slide.

Malladus

Hochdruck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Is the Glock new... just something I have not seen mentioned but how old is the pistol. Just saying I had an G34 I bought that was very used and was an early run too. I had hell with one of the mags but the old follower mag recall fixed it.

The biggest issue that I did have was solved by changing out the recoil spring.... the guy before me really must have put alot of rounds down range over the years with it. ran like a top after that.

Elcolorado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    Leadville, CO
    This is from someone who 10-15 days a year has to be out and about in -20 to -30 degrees. (I tend to hide in my truck as much as possible on those days). I don't know anything about how any of the non-1911s work in cold weather, but I've never had a problem with my Kimber on those cold days. The only thing you have to worry about is making sure that you wear a thin pair of gloves inside your heavy ones. Grabbing a 1911 that has been exposed to -20 for a couple of hours will not make you a happy camper. I use Firepower FP-10 oil and have never had an issue.

For a little more info: Hunting Section

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    Lets face it guns are made by man and anything made by man can fail ... that being said I have shot a few glocks under water several rounds each and didn't have any jams at all. However the front sight did fall off of one right after due to the shock in the water...

I own a few glocks myself and would trust them with my life as none of them have ever had any problems....

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    Interesting? I shoot Glocks. I ccw a G-26 and we walk/jog ~4 to 5 miles per day in Houston. Hot, humid, sweat, rain, and we do this usual 5 days per week at least. My glocks shoot reliably. I would get this checked out as it does not sound normal.
    gamboolman....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Keep in mind that Glocks are designed in Austria, which is alot like Colorado. The weather is mild and often cold and snowy. Sounds like you have something else going on, in my personal opinion.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    That reminds me, when I was out at Bullethole with a co-worker and his Glock 22 in Feb. 07 his Glock didn't like the cold that much as well and it was COLD!!!! IMO.

Glockzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2008
    Cedar Hill
    Glock are not temperature sensitive. I have shot all kinds of Glock Models outdoors in the Alps in winter time (-10 Celsius/-18 Fahrenheit)
    Could it be that you loosend the grip in the cold/rainy weather with the result of a limp wristing situation? Did you wear slippery cloves?

It is well documented that a Glock only needs a drop of oil on certain spots. The ONLY malfunction due to 'over-oiling' I heard of is when putting oil in the firing pin channel which might cause a failure to go bang, but not a failure to feed.

Top Bottom