• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I decided to head to the range since it's been months since I've had the chance to actually shoot for more than 5 - 10 rounds. I took my Glock 17L with me and 100 rounds later I got this.

17t2.jpg

17 Rounds at 7 Yards. Slow cadence.

17t.jpg

13 Rounds at 15 Yards. Slow cadence.

I shot 5 rounds at 25 yards and I was tossing them around. It was about a 6" group with my first shot hitting within 2" of the point of aim. Alot of caffeine and some fatigue made it rather difficult to keep the gun steady and my trigger pull smooth. I might be better off starting at 25 yards, but I rarely ever shoot that long of a distance.

I'm rather pleased. I'm by far not the best pistol shot in the world, but I think I did alright. I was also very pleased with my double tap drills that I was doing earlier. I could place two shots within 2" of each other when I used a firm grip that I learned from Dale Hunnicut. If I relaxed at all, the spread opened.

I'm starting to like the 17L more and more, but the trigger weight is still a bit heavy for my tastes for the slow shooting. With the rapid shots, the quick reset on the Glock makes it ideal.
    Texas SOT

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Nice shooting!

Dale completely overhauled my old Glock 22 (inside and out) and it now gets similar groups as your 17L.

He is truly a miracle worker....the frame mods made the G22 point like a 1911. Glock-like reliabiliy and capacity and 1911 pointing charateristics...best of both worlds.

- brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nice shooting!

Dale completely overhauled my old Glock 22 (inside and out) and it now gets similar groups as your 17L.

He is truly a miracle worker....the frame mods made the G22 point like a 1911. Glock-like reliabiliy and capacity and 1911 pointing charateristics...best of both worlds.

- brickboy240

I find point shooting to be rather difficult with the 17L. It's alot of sight radius and the grip makes me want to pitch it up. Most of my shots land up in the shoulder line. I did much better with the 19 in regards to that.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nice shooting!

- brickboy240

I really want to, but I'm not in a financial position to do much of anything at the moment.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    if i was to get a g17L or g34, id chop the frame to take g19 mags. would feel better to me since i has tiny hands.

Why? The 17 / 34 all have the same frame size as the 19. Just the "full-size" uses a slightly longer grip length. Ergo it would have nothing to do with hand size.

So you'd be spending money to reduce mag capacity basically, LOL.

You need some more Mk. 23'z and Deaglez.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    yes slightly longer grip length, which leaves room for my hand to slide around. reducing the length of the grip by an inch, with the magwell, will create a "gap" that fits my hand perfectly where every draw will be perfect since my hand can only go in "one" spot.

if i just put a magwell on the g17/g34 frame, space between the magwell and beavertail would be wider by .43 inches.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    yes slightly longer grip length, which leaves room for my hand to slide around. reducing the length of the grip by an inch, with the magwell, will create a "gap" that fits my hand perfectly where every draw will be perfect since my hand can only go in "one" spot.

if i just put a magwell on the g17/g34 frame, space between the magwell and beavertail would be wider by .43 inches.

If you are molding the mag well anyways, what is to prevent you from migrating the mag well further up and leaving the frame the same length? Saves you from having to chop up the frame.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    my hands are small enough to where it'll still make a difference. dont think you fully understand that alan lol. with my g19 now, id have dale reduce it by another .25 if i could but it wouldnt be practical. but if he would of shaved some off then put the magwell on, i think it woulda been perfecto.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    my hands are small enough to where it'll still make a difference. dont think you fully understand that alan lol. with my g19 now, id have dale reduce it by another .25 if i could but it wouldnt be practical. but if he would of shaved some off then put the magwell on, i think it woulda been perfecto.

Shoot with gloves on.

If the 19 is too small it sounds like you'd be best cutting the frame. Although my point is that you are custom molding the fitment anyways, so you technically could just fill it in to where you want it.

diverge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Nice shooting!

- brickboy240

Does he have a website? I've heard his name around a lot.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    GripReductions.com

I also second that. I have not yet dealt with him yet as I don't currently have anything polymer, however he is the first I will go to once I do. I got to handle some of his display guns at the TGT/Shiloh shoot a couple months back. His grip work is excellent and very well blended together (especially the extended beavertails and magwells he does) and excellent quality. Some of the other companies out there offering grip work and reductions on polymer frame guns, their stuff has the same quality as if you tied your gun to your tailgate and let the gun drag along the ground on the highway for an hour. ;) Dale's stuff does not look like that. ;)

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I got a friend that he has done two grip reductions for, but haven't gotten to try them out yet (will in November). But I did get to shoot a 17L and a 34 that he had done some work on at the GSSF match in San Antonio last year, and a G20 he had worked over at the Mingus GSSF match in 06. They all were pretty sweet, and if I ever was in the market for that type of work I would go to him first.

Malladus

Top Bottom