• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    So the G27 that I just aquired has parkerized type finish on the slide and I found out it was made in 1999. I purchased a new G22 in 2001 and a new G23 in 2006 that both had a harder more durable finish. When did Glock switch to the later style finish? i like that one much better.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Clay, that's not a parkerized finish, it's Rustoleum flat black spraypaint that I used to hide all the scratches from you.

Okay, maybe that wasn't all that funny. I didn't know about a change in finishes. :confused:

-Pete

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Clay, that's not a parkerized finish, it's Rustoleum flat black spraypaint that I used to hide all the scratches from you.

Okay, maybe that wasn't all that funny. I didn't know about a change in finishes. :confused:

-Pete

LOL!! You did a good rattle can job!!! yeah, I guess they changed at some point. i did not know about it until I bought this 27 from you. It looks awesome anyways. I was just curious now as to when the change happened.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    So the G27 that I just aquired has parkerized type finish on the slide and I found out it was made in 1999. I purchased a new G22 in 2001 and a new G23 in 2006 that both had a harder more durable finish. When did Glock switch to the later style finish? i like that one much better.

They went to the Tenifer finish between 1999 and 2001. :p

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    No big deal TXSUT. A chunk of the slide already fell off and I just super glued it back on. I carry it for show anyways!!;) LOL

Good to know. I would like to have it refinished in that when the wear on this finish gets pretty bad. Any idea how much Glock would charge?

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Tenifer?

Tenifer? Ya, I hope he's joking too! ;)

My G27 has the flat black look too. And also has the "smooth" finger grooves.

My 2.5 gen G29 has the flat look also,

And my 3rg gen G29 has the nicer "wet" look.

I don't prefer either one over the other.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I can't tell if that's a joke or not. LOL

Yes, it was a joke. He said one was 1999 and one 2001 so I just put it together.

Tenifer? Ya, I hope he's joking too! ;)

I always forget what Glock calls is, it's called Melonite outside of the Glock world. Now I need to go dig it up again, I thought they called it Tenifer but I take it that's wrong?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    AFAIK it's Tenifer. All I know is it's one tough finish. I've seen some beat up, old, worn out Glocks and while the parkerized coating may have worn off, the tenifer finish still prevents them from really rusting since it's not just a surface finish but impregnates the metal below the surface too. That's my understanding anyways.

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Tenifer?

JK, ask and you shall receive.
    Borrowed this from another site.
    Here is a good explination of what Tenifer is:

Tenifer is a trademarked name for the end result of a chemical bath nitriding process that embeds nitrogen into an iron-containing alloy (like a pistol's slide) to create a corrosion-resistant finish that is a dull grey in color and extremely hard. The generic term for this type of process is "carbonitriding". Glock, an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes this process to protect the pistols they manufacture. The Tenifer finish on a Glock is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 millimeters thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C (diamond cone) hardness rating via a 500 °C nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish (still not the finish you see) meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off (because the metal under the surface fiinish has been hardened via the Tenifer process) .

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Ok, thanks for posting that.

Now the question. So what was the "Tenifer? Ya, I hope he's joking too!" comment then? It appears I was correct, it's Tenifer. :1zhelp:

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    If you want that "wet" look on your parked or Tenifer pistol just drop the metal bits into a bucket of motor oil for a day or two, it will soak it up. I hate it when the GLOCKs get all 'ashy' and grey looking.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    So, the question still remains...did Glock, at some point, change the manner and/or products they use for the external treatment (the parkerizing, not the Tenifer) of their slides? Or, is it as Txpolecat implies, just a drying out that causes them to take on a more matte look over time?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's a change in finish. They all have the hardening process and anti-corrosion process, but the final processing is different between the Generation 1/2s and the Generation 3s.

It's purely cosmetic, but it does look nice. In fact, on my Gen 2 I think I like the rough texture, it makes working the slide easier when your hands are wet.

Maybe I'll try spraying some light oil on the "ashy" slide and see if it looks like a new one. That'd be pretty cool. (like Polecat is saying)

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    The park finish has a lot of very fine pores in it, I dont think wiping or spraying it will have much of an effect.

Maybe if you laid one side of the slide in the oil to compare, or just soak the dang thing already :)

(I've used 10w-40 before on my pop's glock and he thought I had painted it or had it refinished!)

Top Bottom