• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobsterCraw

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Austin
    Im kicking this mod around and wanted some feedback from ya'll who have completed it. Does it make much of a difference? Are you happy overall? Once you do this, there is no going back so I wanted some input. Thx
    Guns International

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Are you talking about this?

glock2.jpg

If so, I too would like to hear/know more about it. Mostly about how to shape it like the photo.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I did mine on my Gen 3 G19 using a Dremel and the sanding drum. I just pressed the drum down where the guard meets the grip and slowly started “dishing" the area. It feels much more comfortable (to me). I know it kills resale value but since I don't plan on selling it anyway it's a moot point in my case. I like how the Gen 4's come with this feature.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It was definitely worth it for me. I also did a double undercut, or basically what's pictured above plus the extra undercut on the middle underside of the trigger guard, for the support hand index finger. It doesn't seem like something so small could make much of a difference. If a person doesn't already have their fundamentals in order and a solid level of performance, it may not even seem like one. Personally, I found it made a big difference for me. That seemingly small amount higher that you can get your hands on the gun makes a difference. It also alleviates the uncomfortable feeling of the stock shape of the trigger guard, making the gun more comfortable to shoot.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Have a friend who's a Glock nut and is the training SGT for the local Sheriff's Office......

He puts a Dremel on every Glock right out of the box.......damndest thing I've ever seen...

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I don't mean to be negative, but I guess that perspective may help. AND the Glock I speak of doesn't even belong to me, but I've used it long enough to know how it felt.

Two things. First, to me, it made no difference and I would not do this to any of my pistols, especially an M&P, BUT my hands are big, so that may be a factor. I did not get up on the grip, noticeably enough, for me to justify this. My friend who did this LOVED it though.

Second, and this was a problem for my friend (the owner of the Glock) and myself, the magazine release hit my middle finger and made dropping the mag a bit of a hassle. Once again, this may be due to our particular hands, but his are not so big and chubby, and mine are big and not so chubby, so it's a pretty big difference.

Overall, I am sure most people who do this are satisfied, but I personally don't think there is anything to gain from this on some weapons. I am sure there are some out there that will help get up higher cause the design may have your hand lower on some pistols. On a Glock, I just don't see it. I suggested to my friend, that he could file down the back of the mag release, so that may help with it not hitting your middle finger.

I'd like to add that I could be all full of crap, seeing as though I do not own the gun and haven't used it long enough to REALLY see if there was some sort of advantage. I just wanted to add perspective, as I have first hand experience with this mod on a Glock 19, but there are guys out there that could put holes in a crum with a stock Glock, so I think this is just a trend. BUT THEN AGAIN, I didn't think stippling, or grip tape was necessary, till I trained with my M&P for 5 hours no break and realized it was slipping all around my hand. NOW, stippling, or another form of grip enhancement is a MUST. So... Yea. Just take it for what you will. Just trying to help.

It doesn't seem like something so small could make much of a difference. If a person doesn't already have their fundamentals in order and a solid level of performance, it may not even seem like one.

I don't take offense to this post, as I agree that lacking fundamentals or knowledge of certain things can lead to unnoticeable differences in some changes. I'm no pro and am still not confident enough to compete, but I like to think I have good fundamentals and shoot a pistol well enough to make the call on what I think about this mod. Perhaps my performance isn't as solid as I think it is and that very well could be why. But then again I usually think I suck pretty bad at everything I do cause if I'm not doing it extremely well, I must not be doing very good at all. I'm a perfectionist. Anyhow, this statement may be a factor in my opinion, or not. I'm sure you'll conclude what makes more sense to you. Let me clarify, in an attempt to give you an idea and help to lesson the confusion, Sig has surely been shooting for YEARS longer than I have. I've only been doing it consistently for 2 years, so I'm a baby in the firearms world. I know I can hang with the boys these days, but I would personally take Sig's opinion over mine, strictly because of experience. Hope this helps. Babbling now...

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I should probably come at this from a different angle, as I'm typically the type that is obsessed over optimization, so I will frequently make a big deal out of stuff that, in the grand scheme of things, probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Things that may only deliver 1% of performance, which in the grand scheme of things may not even be all that important compared to other major factors. Bottom line, a stock gun will do everything a person needs to do with a handgun, will do it just fine, and the average person can learn to utilize the stock gun in stock form to do so. So stuff like this definitely isn't a "necessity".

Comfort is one factor. Personally, I find that undercutting the trigger guard and radiusing it makes a noticeable improvement in comfort for me. You are effectively reducing some of the hard edges/angles to it, and the style that I prefer puts a very progressive angle into it, such as this:

21_r_pebble_texture-590x382.jpg

Compared to a stock Glock 17:

glock17rtf202.jpg

Depends on the model. On a subcompact gun like a Glock 26/27, the grip is extremely short as is, so an undercut is allowing you to get just a bit higher and a bit more positive hold on the gun. May be small, but when you only have a two finger grip, IMO every bit counts, for me at least. I just bought a Glock 26 that has a grip reduction from Cold Bore Custom in Katy. I'll hopefully have that next week, and it will likely end up being my carry gun. It has a minor trigger guard undercut, and also has the reduction plus finger groove removal.

pix995554317.gif

Here's an example of the one on mine. It's not quite perfect, and I'm probably going to end up getting another frame, as my ghetto stipple job looks really horrible (this is an old pic before the stipple):

7195937412_7d9bb59978_b.jpg

tn_IMG_1096 by Dillo Dynamics, on Flickr

The second undercut is what made more of a difference for me than the first. The way I grip with my support hand is basically as high as possible, with a really aggressive forward cant. In this position, with the second undercut and with a little stippling on it, it basically locks my support hand index finger in place there. In stock form, the underside of the trigger guard is slippery. You could always stipple it, but it's still flat. With a groove, the finger fits right in there, and with a bit of stippling it basically doesn't want to move.

9120182109_b2ac11384f_c.jpg

tn_43 by Dillo Dynamics, on Flickr

One technique I utilize and like to teach for learning to establish the two hand grip, once out of the holster, is what was basically originated by one or a number of world class pistol competitors many years ago. I'm not sure exactly who, but I'd guess either Brian Enos, Rob Leatham, or maybe a few others. I know Matt Burkett teaches and talks about it. It's called the "pinch and roll". Basically as you've brought the gun up and out of the holster and are beginning to press it forward, you bring the support hand forward to meet the gun. Most people usually do this with some sort of "knife hand" type position of the hand/fingers. From there, pretty much bring the middle of the support hand index finger to the underside of the trigger guard. From there, you're pushing hard up into the trigger guard, using that as sort of a fulcrum point, and then rotating the rest of the support hand up on to the gun. Kind of a circular motion in that, as you are pressing the gun out, the support hand is continuing to rotate outward while establishing and firming up grip. It's great for developing a consistent index of the support hand getting to and getting on the gun. One small, miniscule, aspect in building a consistent grip, but it makes a big difference. Anyways, having a textured inset area to index that support index finger helps add a lot of consistency and robust movement with this process. I need to make a video so it's easier than reading a wall of text. ;)

For anyone that would like to, especially if you're local, you're more than welcome to shoot any of my Glocks. Just let me know, and we can work out a time and date to meet up at the range. I have the G17 pictured above, now with some stippling, also have a 1st gen G19, which is rare and has a slimmer grip than all other Glocks. That G19 basically feels like any of the newer ones that have had a grip reduction done. It's pretty nice and I wish they would have stuck with that design. Also, I will have the G26 pictured above in about a week. If anyone is really curious, we could always meet at a range that has the same guns to rent, for a true comparison. ;)

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I found a deep well socket that was roughly the diameter of my index finger. I put some glue backed sand paper on the socket and chucked it in a drill. Then just kept sanding until it felt good in my hands. I used to get Glock knuckle during training classes, but not after this bit of relief.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I found a deep well socket that was roughly the diameter of my index finger. I put some glue backed sand paper on the socket and chucked it in a drill. Then just kept sanding until it felt good in my hands. I used to get Glock knuckle during training classes, but not after this bit of relief.

Excellent idea. Thanks!

yang.jackson

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Sig, those cuts you made on your trigger guard look almost exactly like the cuts Salient Armament makes on their custom Glocks. By the way, who did your grip reduction on your G17? I'm looking to get one done on mine with a stipple job, finger groove delete, and reshape to 1911 grip angle if possible. Y'all know any Glock armorers who will do framework in the Houston or Austin area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Sig, those cuts you made on your trigger guard look almost exactly like the cuts Salient Armament makes on their custom Glocks. By the way, who did your grip reduction on your G17? I'm looking to get one done on mine with a stipple job, finger groove delete, and reshape to 1911 grip angle if possible. Y'all know any Glock armorers who will do framework in the Houston or Austin area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try Grip Reductions.
    http://www.gripreductions.com/

Top Bottom