Hurley's Gold

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    That's what I'm sayin'!

In my view, the GLOCK® was designed to be a semiauto to convert the revolver world, at a time when most LE were carrying revolvers still. Draw, point, shoot. It's what wheelgunners have always done and it's what the departments who bought into GLOCKs® were looking for. :meh:

And why glock has the option for heavy heavy ass springs. (NY cops like to shout themselves in the leg)

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Back to the original topic. My major complaint with a Glock is the lack of a secure safety. Any person (adult or child) can fire a Glock if you leave a round in the chamber. That composition trigger is BS.

I am a died in the wool 1911 guy. Been one for over 55 years. That being said, I carry a modified G19 in my console. I trust it will work if I ever need it. But damn it is ugly!
    Serious question
    Why do you carry a Glock of you are a 1911 guy?

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I thought my response above was very clear. I forget that some on this sight are a little slow to get things.
    If you read my previous reply you will also see I said I carry a "modified" G19. It has a KKM barrel, the frame has been modified to fit my hand better, and the trigger has had some work done on it. Every stock Glock I have ever owned shot low-left for me. My modified G19 is as accurate as any of my 1911s. If I do my part, it will produce 1" diameter five shot groups at 7 yards.
    After all of the work I had done to it, I could have bought another 1911.
    Total expenditure so far is just over $950. Needless to say I will probably own this until I die, or at least until I find another fool to take it off my hands.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    As hard as it will be to believe The Moonpie actually does own a Glock.
    After many many years away from Glock I thought I would get one to see if they were so awesome as every fanboi says.
    Several months back I purchased a Glock 20 10mm.
    It has been a pain in the ass from the get go.
    Numerous failure to fire light primer strikes. Failures to feed. On its very first magazine it had EIGHT failure to fire due to light primer strikes.
    TEN factory mags and it jams on most of them.
    Changed striker springs. The firing pin. Main spring. Guide rod.
    While better it still clicks dead and jams. Usually 3-4 times in 100rds. Sometimes more. Same number of failure to feed jams.
    The gun has has close to 1500rds thru it now so it sure isn’t a “break in” issue.
    This is just flat unacceptable in a SD handgun.
    The trigger pull sucks ass.
    Glock Perfection my foot!
    The gun is accurate. When it goes off.
    I have no faith in it any longer. It has taken up residence in the bottom drawer of forgotten and unloved guns.
    Funny thing. I also have a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. It eats up the very same ammo the Glock chokes on.

I have since purchased another Glock. A 17 model.
    Mainly just to see if I got a lemon on the 20.
    While my shooting of this one has been very limited as yet it seems to be running well.
    This gun is currently sidelined waiting on a set of night sights to arrive.
    It will be worked out when back together.

My opnion is still out on the 17.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    After many many years away from Glock I thought I would get one to see if they were so awesome as every fanboi says.
    Numerous failure to fire light primer strikes. Failures to feed. On its very first magazine it had EIGHT failure to fire due to light primer strikes.
    While better it still clicks dead and jams. Usually 3-4 times in 100rds. Sometimes more. Same number of failure to feed jams.
    The gun has has close to 1500rds thru it now so it sure isn’t a “break in” issue.
    I have no faith in it any longer. It has taken up residence in the bottom drawer of forgotten and unloved guns.
    Funny thing. I also have a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. It eats up the very same ammo the Glock chokes on.

While my shooting of this one has been very limited as yet it seems to be running well.

Bring the 20 with you in october? I'd like to shoot it.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Whoa. I guess talking Glocks is like talking politics lol. Though, here, I bet we'd all agree more on politics.

I didn't mean to put the Glock up as the THE semi auto pistol. I just like em enough that I saved one to keep from my necessitated "purge". I had a large collection with examples of most all pistols mentioned in this thread. I love 1911's, Sigs, S&W's (old ones), XD's, Keltec, Kahr, etc.

I retained my old G17 due mostly to it's ubiquitous nature and absolute durability and reliability. I also have a butt load of mags, several holsters and "extras" for it like a threaded, cut-rifled barrel. Finally, 9mm is probably the best SHTF caliber IMHO (power v cost/weight, etc.). So, for me, it made the most sense to retain. I'm a "it's where you hit them, not how big the bullet is" kind of guy. Again, not that I don't love the 45ACP and 10mm, it's just that I know that point of impact is more important than size and power - for pistols.

I totally understand the point of aim difference as cited but if you're not switching back and forth between designs, you will have no trouble with the Glock's higher point of impact. Same with the ergonomics of the grip - not that great, but they don't keep me from shooting this pistol really well - and to me, that's the point.

The plastic sights were also mentioned - I don't like them either, but they work just fine. This old gen 2 G17 came with a set of tritium sights - they retain about 25% of their luminescence.

I had an experience that also served to endear me to this particular pistol. Me and some members of my state guard unit participated in a "force protection" training at annual training. It concluded with pistol qualification to state LEO standards. One of my guys, a SFC who had prior service in the Air Force had never shot anything larger than an old 32ACP. I decided that since I had a G23 that I carried that I could shoot, that I'd loan him my G17. I could shoot the G17 better but I figured his need was greater. I qualified with the G23 no problem but this guy, who had never shot a 9mm of any kind before, qualified expert with this pistol. His groups were fantastic. I did have him over to my property for some instruction before the training but that was it.

Love it or hate it, the Glock is a KISS pistol that just about anyone can pick up and shoot decently with just a modicum of training. They are even less complicated in use than a revolver as there's no visible hammer coming back or rotating cylinder. Just the trigger with integral "safety".

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

The engineers at Glock are shaking in their boots today after reading this.
    You have exposed a deep dark flaw that nobody was supposed to speak of.
    This will be the downfall of the brand. I hope you're happy.:laughing:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I took my SD 19 and my 19X out yesterday after doing more extensive trigger mods. I have Ghost Edge connectors, new trigger and firing pin springs and I have polished all metal trigger contact points and the triggers are not only lighter, but are indeed very smooth and clean breaking.
    Next up is my 41, I'd like to see just what that one can do with the trigger work
    and, oh by the way, these cost about $25 plus about 30 minutes of time to do per gun.

Top Bottom