• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Taking the family to the Fair of the Great State of Texas today. My daughter is taking one of her friends, and I am taking the Kimber. ;)

I always have one Fletchers corny dog, but I will sample the chicken fried bacon. We'll take the kids down the Midway and to see the horses and other critters. We will hit most of the museums and such, and make a pass thru the Auto Show. Of course we will see the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps as well as the Wine Garden, Birds of the World and others. Plan on ending the day with an evening concert by Kellie Pickler.

After action report to follow.
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just got back. That place was full of people, and I'm no economist or anything, but you should have seen the people buying SHEETS of coupons. (gotta buy coupons to ride, buy food, etc, nothing inside takes money). People eating like crazy, riding rides and playing games.

Kellie Pickler is a delight. She is not only talented, but just seems like a warm, genuine person. We got up close and she is stunning too.

I am beat. More later.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Did you conceal carry while there? I understand that they scan you with a metal detector wand when you go in. The State Fair of Texas is located in a very high crime area of Dallas. I don't believe I will go unless I can carry.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Just got back. That place was full of people, and I'm no economist or anything, but you should have seen the people buying SHEETS of coupons. (gotta buy coupons to ride, buy food, etc, nothing inside takes money). People eating like crazy, riding rides and playing games.

Kellie Pickler is a delight. She is not only talented, but just seems like a warm, genuine person. We got up close and she is stunning too.

I am beat. More later.

Seems like each year they set record sales records. I'm sure this year will be no different. And this year the weather has been great for it.

I think we're going this weekend. Oh joy. :p

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Did you conceal carry while there? I understand that they scan you with a metal detector wand when you go in. The State Fair of Texas is located in a very high crime area of Dallas. I don't believe I will go unless I can carry.

I'd be interested to know if they've changed anything, but in the past, if you get the wand, you remove your gun, present CHL, they scan you again and if you're clear, you reholster and head on in.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I'd be interested to know if they've changed anything, but in the past, if you get the wand, you remove your gun, present CHL, they scan you again and if you're clear, you reholster and head on in.

Cool, I wasn't sure how they did this. I'm not going to be able to make it this year anyway. Thanks for the response.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

They made a half hearted attempt to wand me. Missed the gun, so I didn't even show the CHL. They didn't even try to wand my wife.

Last time I went I did not unholster, nor would I.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Man I miss the fair.My youngest was always scared of the Giant cowboy.I lived not to far from the cotton bowl off of highway 20.I bet my dad is there right now.He's a regular there as his neighbor is a vendor at the fair.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    We went yesterday along with 98% of Texas population.

Once we made the 30 minute drive and got parked after over 2 hours.......it was a beautiful day for it. All the same old thing pretty much but it's cool to go every now and then. Although the Auto Show sucked unless you're into looking at all the latest in basic and boring vehicles you can see in any mall parking lot. Dodge did have a Challenger and Chevrolet had a Camero and a Ford Dealer had 2 Saleen Mustangs.

Anyhow, they were pretty vigorously scanning everyone coming in although you could probably get by with just about anything. But the "kids" with the wands were at least looking like they were being thorough.

She scanned me and got beep beeped on my left front pocket (cell phone) and right hip (Kimber) and I guess the intensity was stronger on the Kimber so he asked, very casually and almost as if he was feeding me an answer "..uh, that's just a cell phone?" I said no, it's a gun and asked if he needed to see my license and he just kind of smirked like he was surprised and said ya, he needed to see it. I got it out and I don't think he even really looked at and and just said Ok go on in.

I realized at that point, the people standing behind me seeing that my wife and daughter went right on through and kept walking until they realized I was still back there, might have been a little curious why he got such a big BEEPing on my hip, I never showed him what it was, just a card that looked different, then walked on in. Who knows. Who cares.

All I know is by the time we left, my feet and legs were shot. But that Brommeland leather sure makes carrying really comfortable!

Top Bottom