Join TexasGunTalk

Going Back To A Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Geezer, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Geezer

Geezer Available For Parties TGT Supporter

Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Since all of the fancy multiple blade razor cartridges are now more costly than a box of ammo, I'm looking to going back to a double edge safety razor. I don't want a collectible, just one to use. I guess it's off to Ebay to see if I can find someone's grandpa's old razor.

2. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Single edge don't clog up as fast, which causes a double to dull faster. Keep you blade coated in baby oil, when not in use.

Charlie likes this.
  3. GoPappy

GoPappy Active Member Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Not a chance I’ll ever go back to a “safety” razor. Too many nicks and cuts.

Life is too short, and at this point in my life I’ve got more money than time.

FireInTheWire likes this.
  4. Coiled

Coiled TGT Addict

Nov 25, 2016
    SE Tx
  5. JCC

JCC Well-Known

May 1, 2018
    US
  6. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Merkur Titanium handle, $50ish, box of 100 double edged safety blades by Wilkinson, $20ish, and you're good for a couple of years. Better shave by far than the disposable crap, for a fraction of the cost. And forget about Harry's. That's just a gimmick subscription owned by one of big manufacturers.

7. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

I got back into shaving with a safety razor a few years back. That's what I learned on. In fact, dad taught me by removing the blade and putting Barbasol on my face and letting me "shave" it off.

You can buy a pack of 100 safety blades pretty cheaply, and razors are reasonable. Soap is inexpensive.

I wouldn't want to use one everyday, but now that I'm retired and shave two-three times a week it's worth it. It's definitely a closer shave.

As far as cost, it's still cheaper to buy the box of 52 Schick double-edge razors at Sam's for about $25. That lasts you a year if you go through one disposable per week. But that lacks the novelty of whipping up your own soap with a badger hair brush and lathering it on.

I think the safety razor takes us back to a era when we had more time to spend on luxuries and were not always trying to find ways to cut corners and save time. There was something about a hot towel on your face followed by a barber's shave that makes one feel pampered!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    digger likes this.
  8. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I use safety razors and straight razors. I greatly prefer them to Gillette and the like

9. easy rider

easy rider Carbide Precipitator TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I at first changed to a straight razor, but now use Merkur safety razor and feather blades.

10. LminusV

LminusV Active Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Georgetown
    Does anyone remember the medicine cabinets that had a slot to drop the used blades down into the wall?