Going to be selling some firearms -- guidance please

Status

Utah

Oct 4, 2013
I've moved to Texas and my wife and I will be selling a house we own in Utah. We're empty nesters now and are decluttering our lives, and letting go of a lot of stuff. I've got a lot of firearms, and I'll be reducing that number once I get them down here in December. I'll at least sell redundant guns (I have more than one of the same model) and a few that I haven't shot much over the years.

So, what are the rules for being able to list a firearm on this site? My own personal rule is that I will only sell to a person holding a concealed firearm permit, so in these parts I will ask to see the purchaser's CHL. I will also ask to see a current Driver License. I won't record that information, but we'll each sign a slip of paper saying such-and-such firearm was transferred between us on such-and-such a date. I won't print the purchaser's name on the receipt, and I don't care how sloppily you may sign your name. [[see update below]]

I figure I'll probably end up selling 5-10 handguns.

--------------------------------------
UPDATE: I've been convinced that lightweight bill of sale serves no purpose. I won't be requiring that to be executed. I will still only sell to a CHL holder, and will ask to see DL and CHL.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
Your guns, free to do as you wish. The only requirement in Texas is that they be a resident over the age of 18, and not convicted of a felony.

For some, insistence on a CHL OR any kind of paperwork memorializing the transaction will be a turn-off. Speaking only for myself, I'd pass on such a thing. Others won't care......and I not only have a CHL, I daresay I've got a coupla guns around the place.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
Many on here won't do business with you if you require a bill of sale. Also, IMO, to require a CHL is a bit silly. Reason I say that is that there are many people on here that don't have one, myself included. Your sale so you can do what you want; just my 2 cents.

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
If the person you are dealing with does not appear trustworthy, a piece of paper will not make it better, don't do the deal.

As others have said, you limit the number of good honest folks that will deal with you by insisting on a meaningless, legally misleading and dangerous paper trail.

Utah

Oct 4, 2013
Seeing the CHL and Driver License are my way of doing my best to uphold the law and have a high degree of confidence I'm not selling to a prohibited person. As for the bill of sale, as I mentioned I don't put names and I don't care how readable your signature is. The purpose of the paper is the proof that the gun departed my possession on a particular date. I understand there will be those who won't want to do business with me if they cannot remain fully anonymous during the transaction, and that is fine.

I'm an instructor for the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP), so perhaps that has influenced my opinion of selling only to those who have shown some get-up-and-go in their attitude and commitment to being responsible firearm owners.

So, no "you have to have been on the forum so long" or "you have to have made so many posts" before listing a firearm for sale, correct?

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
I don't think it's so much as "need for anonymity" but just a "it's not required by law". As far as "doing your best to uphold the law", a simple "you are legally able to own and possess this firearm, correct?" would suffice, and as Acera said, if they look shady, then don't deal.

You'll find that people here in Texas don't feel the need to be "burdened" with regulations of legally trading/buying firearms in a private sale, otherwise we'd just go down to the gun store and buy one there.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
Feb 15, 2013
Dallas (Oak Cliff)

Feedthemlead

Jan 5, 2009
Well what you do is once you get settled you call me....<---has CHL and will sign and accept bill of sale. I would love to see what your bring with you to the big state of Texas!

Status

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads