• Status
    Not open for further replies.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Dang, 8 pages of bickering when the really important questions have yet to be asked and/or answered!

Whatcha got and how much do you want for them?!? :D

If the price is right, I'll gladly show you a CHL, TX DL and a retired military ID card if that'll make ya happy. Heck, I'll even scribble something on a piece of paper as long as it doesn't contain any of my PII; as long as the price is right!

I too once felt that BOS were necessary to protect myself during a firearms transaction, but I have since become much wiser to the fact that they are pretty much useless pieces of paper.

These days I'm much more concerned with picking up nice guns at the right price than trying to tell other people how to conduct their business!

Welcome to Texas!

Cheers! M2

Saylin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    I don't get what the big deal is. If he wants to reduce the people he can possibly sell to by requiring a CHL then let him do it.

There are so many people here who refuse to shop at specific place because of their firearm policies...I don't understand how an individual is any different. If you don't like that he requires a CHL then don't buy a gun from him. However at the end of the day it is his right to refuse to sell to those who won't provide a CHL

/thread

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    ^^^Some people are unaware that many people will not deal with sellers who ask for such things. If no one said anything perhaps some sellers would be none the wiser.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    No way I would ever buy any firearm from a seller wanting a BOS, ever. Bet you tell a prospective buyer UPFRONT that you require it long before he makes plans or drives out to meet you. Don't spring it on him at the FTF.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Me, I don't have a big problem with BOS or DL requirement, but CHL is a bit much, since it is clearly not required to purchase a gun at any level even though I have a CHL. Do I like it when a seller asks for a DL, CHL or to have A BOS?... no but I also don't see it as that big of a deal and have complied just to get the deal done knowing there is no harm either way. As already expressed, others feel differently, and I respect that. I'm kind of a live and let live guy.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Don't get all butt hurt on me here.... I'll explain at the end...

That being said, I will concur with the majority of the gun buyers on this forum, I posses a CHL, a valid TXDL, a military ID, and a DD214, but your previous BOS requirement was enough for me to determine that you are not familiar with the legal view of the vast majority (including the one you described) of BOS's written in gun sales. I could go through and find probably at least 3 legal cases where a BOS was written, and dismissed in court because of their lack of proper identification and guidelines, and legal binding.

That also said, I know a large number of people on this forum, who are legally able to purchase a firearm (I don't know of anyone here who isn't), AND amazing people who don't hold a CHL. I'm a bit taken back that you would require more than the federal government does in order for someone to purchase a gun.

Again, to each their own, and the irony of Austin, is that more than once, I've found disillusioned and ill-informed people living within it's vicinity. Nothing more.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Again, to each their own, and the irony of Austin, is that more than once, I've found disillusioned and ill-informed people living within it's vicinity. Nothing more.

I haven't lived in Austin long, but I've met a few of those ill-informed people you refer to. I work with one person who is "politically active", and I like to think that my vote is the one canceling hers in local elections. ;)

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    It's that stupid "Turn Texas Blue" bumper sticker that really gets under my skin.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I'm like a few others in that BOS is a no go however a DL or CHL is cool. I would suggest the requirement of the CHL be dropped because as its been pointed out there are quite a few that don't have their CHL. Just my. 02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Utah, you still haven't answered my question...whatcha selling?

As for how you want to handle transactions, that's up to you and no one else. What the law says you have to do and what you want to do can be two different things. As long as your are not discriminating in violation of Federal law then no one can tell you how to conduct your business. If people don't want to deal with you because of your desire to see a CHL or have BOS, then they can move on and someone else will most likely buy the firearm. It's not worth arguing about, and it's doubtful that anyone on either side of this issue is going to change their mind as a result of this thread.

I do find it ironic that people complain about the government telling them what to do, then they turn around and impose their beliefs on others!

dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    That's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone else of anything.

On the other hand, forum members have convinced me I have been requiring something that didn't provide enough value to be useful. For that, I am grateful to y'all (or is that "all y'all"?).

"All y'all" is the plural of "y'all"!! Welcome to Texas!

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Utah, you still haven't answered my question...whatcha selling?

As for how you want to handle transactions, that's up to you and no one else. What the law says you have to do and what you want to do can be two different things. As long as your are not discriminating in violation of Federal law then no one can tell you how to conduct your business. If people don't want to deal with you because of your desire to see a CHL or have BOS, then they can move on and someone else will most likely buy the firearm. It's not worth arguing about, and it's doubtful that anyone on either side of this issue is going to change their mind as a result of this thread.

I do find it ironic that people complain about the government telling them what to do, then they turn around and impose their beliefs on others!

I haven't yet figured out what I'll be letting go. Probably a Glock 30 or 30SF, maybe a Glock 35, a .22 pistol or two, and I'm thinking I haven't shot that .45 S&W M&P in a long time. I'll have to mull on it a bit -- I guess that long drive back from Utah will give me some "reflection" time.

It's been helpful to have a bit of debate, so I've appreciated folks giving their opinions. I've been convinced to drop the bill of sale, so that is a good outcome. Most Americans would label me an extreme right winger, though maybe I'm middle or possibly even left of middle to the crowd here on the forum.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Thanks, everyone. I think all the things that were useful to be said have been said, so I'll close this thread now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom