robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Utah - I understand your reasoning, but I don't like the thought process behind it. Requiring a CHL is a "guilty before proved innocent" mentality. I don't have a CHL and have bought guns from people on this forum before. To the best of my knowledge I am not a "goof."
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I find it ironic that an individual without a TX CHL won't sell to another individual who doesn't have a TX CHL.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    That is a very good point. I could, for example, mail myself a letter saying I sold a gun on a particular date. The letter with date stamp is something of a proof of when. I have a packet of information about training I've taken and principles I've learned that I mailed to myself, so if ever needed could be introduced by my lawyer into court to show my prior state of mind.

Ya know... I just realized I signed up for the Texas Law Shield for a year. I'll give those folks a call and see if they think a BOS does anybody any good. I'll report back to this thread with what I find out.

I would respectfully disagree that would be proof. IMO, that would only prove "something" was mailed on a certain date, assuming the PO did not take the letter out and stamp it.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Wow, Texas Law Shield is open on a Saturday morning.

Just talked with a nice lady at Texas Law Shield. She said a bill of sale definitely does help in proving transfer of ownership, but recommends the buyer's information be fully spelled out. The way I'm talking about doing it, not so much -- though still somewhat useful.

I think I am going to modify my approach. I'll ask to see DL and CHL, but then I'll just send myself a letter stating I sold the gun with S/N and date of sale, and that I did not sell the gun to a disallowed person to the best of my knowledge. No information about the buyer involved.

There will still be a bunch of law-abiding folks who wouldn't want to do business with me, but that is fine and is their choice.

-- I'll go back and edit the first occurrence where I stated I would require BOS to note that I won't be doing that --

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    I would respectfully disagree that would be proof. IMO, that would only prove "something" was mailed on a certain date, assuming the PO did not take the letter out and stamp it.

Would be a sealed envelope, opened only if circumstances demand.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Utah - I understand your reasoning, but I don't like the thought process behind it. Requiring a CHL is a "guilty before proved innocent" mentality. I don't have a CHL and have bought guns from people on this forum before. To the best of my knowledge I am not a "goof."

Yes, you have a perfect knowledge if you are a goof or not. Now, how do you prove that to me?

----

By the way, I'm not being confrontational in asking this. In computer proofs, we deal with this all the time. How do I know an entity is who they say they are? It requires either a direct knowledge and trust between entities, or the involvement of a trusted third party. A CHL is a proof provided by a trusted third party, as an example.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    You still haven't convinced me. Even though your thread title indicates "guidance please", you seem very reluctant for the guidance expressed by an overwhelming majority of the members of this forum. And, of course, after all the smoke clears, they are your guns to do with as you please. We just feel you are limiting yourself a great deal when you don't have to.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    You still haven't convinced me. Even though your thread title indicates "guidance please", you seem very reluctant for the guidance expressed by an overwhelming majority of the members of this forum. And, of course, after all the smoke clears, they are your guns to do with as you please. We just feel you are limiting yourself a great deal when you don't have to.

That's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone else of anything.

On the other hand, forum members have convinced me I have been requiring something that didn't provide enough value to be useful. For that, I am grateful to y'all (or is that "all y'all"?).

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yes, you have a perfect knowledge if you are a goof or not. Now, how do you prove that to me?

How about receipts for new guns I've purchased at major retailers like Cabela's in the past year? Apparently the federal government doesn't think I'm a goof either.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    As someone pointed out, the buyer also has a burden of proof to not knowingly buy a gun from a disallowed person or an illegal (stolen) gun. I probably won't have the original bill of sale for the guns I'll be selling, so I wouldn't be offended if I were asked to give some level of proof to the purchaser that I'm a law-abiding gun owner. Perhaps my Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor card or NRA Instructor credentials would serve there. I would also show my Texas DL to show this is a valid in-state sale.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    How about receipts for new guns I've purchased at major retailers like Cabela's in the past year? Apparently the federal government doesn't think I'm a goof either.

That would work, if they indicated you as the purchaser.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Would be a sealed envelope, opened only if circumstances demand.

On second thought, a notarized document of me saying I sold the gun (no buyer info) also proves date, and doesn't have the messiness of losing non-reputability like the letter does when unsealed. Costs a more and takes more effort.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    On second thought, a notarized document of me saying I sold the gun (no buyer info) also proves date, and doesn't have the messiness of losing non-reputability like the letter does when unsealed. Costs a more and takes more effort.

All a notarized document proves is that you signed something in front of a notary. The notary doesn't review the document or even know what it might me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom