• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I know I do my fair share of talking trash about 1911s but I do want to own atleast one so I am looking for suggestions. Should meet the below criteria
    • $700-900 (mid grade)
    • No Springfield, Kimber, RIA or Sig Sauer
    • Should run out of the box
    • 9mm or .45acp
    • Not looking for any budget guns
    • Light rail and decent sights are a plus
    Thanks in advance
    Capitol Armory ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Ruger fits your expectations and price range.

And dont get a light rail on a damn 1911
    It's like putting an elevator in an outhouse...it just dont belong

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Yep I don't understand the no Kimber either. The Kimber I owned was a very nice pistol. Sold it to my brother in law and have been trying to get it back ever since. See them new now for $600 to $900. They make a very nice gun. If I was going to get one a Kimber is going to be at the top of my list in this price range.

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    See the thread from the guy that just got his first 1911 as well...a Ruger SR1911 5” .45 would fit the bill very nicely based on your requisites. Oh, EXCEPT for the rail...but I’m firmly in the no rails on 1911’s camp :)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I know I do my fair share of talking trash about 1911s but I do want to own atleast one so I am looking for suggestions. Should meet the below criteria
    • $700-900 (mid grade)
    • No Springfield, Kimber, RIA or Sig Sauer
    • Should run out of the box
    • 9mm or .45acp
    • Not looking for any budget guns
    • Light rail and decent sights are a plus
    Thanks in advance
    Springfeild! Lol.

You kind of cornered yourself into a ruger imo. I wouldn't buy rock island anyway but Springfeild offers a great 1911 for the money. Mine eats anything. If it's about their treason, I get it, but at the end of the day my 1911 works great and is very accurate. Imo the rugers are really aren't made really well. I haven't shot an sr1911 but when I handled one it stood out how rough and loose it was. I'm working hard for out of context quotes.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Lost me at "no Springfield ".

The gun control thing they pulled in Illinois turned me off
    Yep I don't understand the no Kimber either. The Kimber I owned was a very nice pistol. Sold it to my brother in law and have been trying to get it back ever since. See them new now for $600 to $900. They make a very nice gun. If I was going to get one a Kimber is going to be at the top of my list in this price range.
    Have seen too many qc issues for my taste
    Ruger fits your expectations and price range.

And dont get a light rail on a damn 1911
    It's like putting an elevator in an outhouse...it just dont belong
    I was thinking Ruger or S&W

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Springfeild! Lol.

You kind of cornered yourself into a ruger imo. I wouldn't buy rock island anyway but Springfeild offers a great 1911 for the money. Mine eats anything. If it's about their treason, I get it, but at the end of the day my 1911 works great and is very accurate. Imo the rugers are really aren't made really well. I haven't shot an sr1911 but when I handled one it stood out how rough and loose it was. I'm working hard for out of context quotes.
    Any experience with the S&W variants?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    See the thread from the guy that just got his first 1911 as well...a Ruger SR1911 5” .45 would fit the bill very nicely based on your requisites. Oh, EXCEPT for the rail...but I’m firmly in the no rails on 1911’s camp :)
    I will have to handle one. I do love Ruger revolvers but have had issues with nearly everythig else I have got from them.

I prefer a rail brcause I typically run lights on all of my full size pistols but understand it breaks with aesthetics and tradition

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My father in law has one. He's in Palmer. If I was already moved I'd ask him if we could shoot it. I only fondled one. Seemed well built.
    I am hoping Smith wont let me down. Have never had a single issue with them before. Ill try to see if I can handle an e series by them which I believe is the model in my price point. If not, may have to increase the budget and look at Colt or something better

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I am hoping Smith wont let me down. Have never had a single issue with them before. Ill try to see if I can handle an e series by them which I believe is the model in my price point. If not, may have to increase the budget and look at Colt or something better
    I think they only had one recall and that was years ago. I have had good luck with any sw I have owned.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    At first I was looking at the $700 to $1,000 range. I am very happy I went a few hundred more. I believe at $1,196 for the S&W Performance Center Commander size model 170344 (The full size will be a bit higher) can't be beat. I have now put about 250 rounds through it with no FTE/FTF issues at all.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    D530A51B-9772-4B08-BD6A-846780127C3B.jpeg

I sense the presence of a 1911 range day.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    At first I was looking at the $700 to $1,000 range. I am very happy I went a few hundred more. I believe at $1,196 for the S&W Performance Center Commander size model 170344 (The full size will be a bit higher) can't be beat. I have now put about 250 rounds through it with no FTE/FTF issues at all.
    Good to know. I dont mind spending money for quality so I appreciate you sharing your experience. They make really clean looking 1911s

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Any experience with the S&W variants?

I got an E-Series when they first came out but just never could warm up to it. Didn’t care for the front cocking serrations but that’s just cosmetics. It did choke a little on JHP ammo with factory mags, but maybe would have settled in ok after 300-400 rounds or so. Not unheard of for some 1911’s and factory mags or JHP’s. Was just at a point of thinning out 1911’s that didn’t run 100% with any of the mags/ammo I typically use so moved on from it.
    Might have to bump up your budget some for a rail and Stainless.

Wanted to add mine was just the basic model E-Series, the Performance Center ones as mentioned above may well be fantastic. Saw they have a railed one too.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Good to know. I dont mind spending money for quality so I appreciate you sharing your experience. They make really clean looking 1911s
    I am extremely happy with it. In Oregon I had a Colt Gold Match, and yes I was happy with it, but it was no where near as tight as this S&W and I had several issues breaking it in. I took about 200-300 rounds breaking the Colt in.

Top Bottom