• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    You can go two ways on this.
    A conversion unit. Its a slide assembly you swap out the centerfire slide with.
    or
    A dedicated .22 pistol.
    I have no experience with the conversion units.
    I've heard the Marvel units are GTG.
    https://www.marvelprecision.com/unit-2/

I went with the GSG 1911-22.
    Wanted a full size for training/practice
    They're not expensive.
    Not target grade accuracy. Minute of soda can.
    Nowadays there are aftermarket goodies for them.
    Any ammo reliability issues with the gsg?
    Hurley's Gold

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    So many 1911's, so little time.

What's next? 10mm? .22LR? 38Super?

One of these for the pocket?

kuH8X6O.jpg

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    So I ordered a longer, pre-A1 style, machined and blued trigger made by Colt (new old stock), because the one that comes with the Remington R1 is a piece of MIM aluminum that's out of place, visually, and a Remington branded metal mainspring housing because who wants plastic on a 1911...

What else should I get while I'm in there?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I got my Remington R1911 Recon from the FFL a few days ago. Initial impressions are very positive. No slop at all, finish is very nice, has front strap checkering that keeps your hands in place, night sights.

I fired a magazine through it and had zero issues.

IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    On the 22 conversion. I recently bought a Kimber Custom Carry in 45 and the Kimber 22 conversion. Had no problems at all with 45. When I put the 22 conversion on it it had all kinds of problems. I called Kimber and they said try CCI Mini Mags. Ok, could be ammo. The other night I completely dissembled the 45 and the conversion and cleaned and oiled and used LSA on the slide portion. I took it out today (102 deg) and on the way picked up the CCI Mini Mag solids. Ran thru abt 60-70 rounds without a hitch. Switched to Remington 36gr HP and same thing, no problems at all. I have now run abt 250 rnds thru the 22 and after today feel real good about it. No problems at all and 2" groups at 21 yds. Very pleased. This is my first experience with a 22 conversion for the 45. My wife and I cut the shooting short as it was just too dern hot. The firing ling was in the sun and the ammo got so hot it was hard to load. Lay the pistol down while reloading and it got hot. Took to backing up and putting the pistol in the shade while reloading. Moved ammo too.

On a more positive note my 9 yr old grandson was on the rifle range wearing out turkey and duck steel silhouettes at 100 yds with a Ruger American Rimfire 22 topped with a Vortex 2-7. At one point we counted and he hit the turkey 8 times in a row. Started shooting at the duck and was having fun then went back to the turkey shooting it in the head. Tried for duck head but couldn't get it wired. At 100yd the 22 was dropping abt 3-4" and we had a good crosswind too. Got me fired up and I came home and went looking for a LH version of that rifle and they don't make one. GGRRRR (yep he's backwards, so is the wife)

The big plus was it was so hot we had the range to ourself.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    I’m thinking of getting a Kimber Raptor II, a guy at the LGS told me that the new Kimbers have feed issues, any truth to this, 1st I’ve heard this. BTW, he doesn’t sell Kimbers for that reason, says the older ones are fine and will sell them. BS or real?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I’m thinking of getting a Kimber Raptor II, a guy at the LGS told me that the new Kimbers have feed issues, any truth to this, 1st I’ve heard this. BTW, he doesn’t sell Kimbers for that reason, says the older ones are fine and will sell them. BS or real?

The older Kimbers were pretty good quality. During the Obama gun sales program, Kimber drastically ramped up production. I read of so many quality issues with Kimbers, I struck them off my list.

Whether or not Kimber has recovered and gotten their quality on track I cannot say. But other good 1911 manufacturers exist. The old standby is Colt, of course. But you pay a premium for the name and may get a plastic MSH. Dan Wesson is solid, with many people speaking highly of their 1911's. Sig is making a very good 1911, perhaps the best value out there.

On the less expensive end, I have read good things on Remington and Ruger.

If you move up to semicustom (and you can get some really nice deals right now), Guncrafter receives my highest recommendation. Best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a gun.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Factory picture:

uMzeI6X.png

Out of the box:

NShgNsm.jpg

The short little aluminum trigger looked and felt cheap; also wasn't particularly fond of the plastic mainspring housing.

EDhmwm1.jpg

Broke the little MIM screw that was holding the magazine catch in...

All back together, with a long Colt made trigger, Remington made steel MSH and Hooper Gun Works machined magazine catch:

tji7k66.jpg

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I forgot to count how many rounds I now have through my S&W Performance Center 1911, probably over 500 now and still not one issue and still as tight.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

I've got a sister-in-law who worked for Kimber for a number of years. I could have gotten a pistol a year at 50% of MSRP. I've got 13 1911 pistols and not a single one is a Kimber. After talking with her I decided not to go down that path.

Looking at prices $980 is a lot of money for a firearm that is mainly built with MIM parts. I'd pass.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I purchased a new Kimber 10mm long slide 1911 recently.
    It has about 1400rds thru it now. It works perfectly.
    As usual the first couple of hundred rounds had a few FTF's but the gun runs well now. I just shot 150rds thru it just now. Seller&Belloit and Herter's low end ammo. I wanted to see how it would run. Not one jam. Not. One.
    The only problem I've had is that silly little fiber optic rod fell out of the front sight. Bought a new rod and installed it. Easy peasy.
    The more I shoot this one the more I like it.
    Can't speak for all Kimbers but this one is a great pistol so far.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom