• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    its going to sound like I am just lazy and not searching, but rally confused. Is there a list of things I need and and I can just use that as my check list?

Progressive Press, Primer Flip Tray,Calipers (3?), Reloading Manual
    Ammo Bins, Tumbler, Media, Case lube, bullets, powder, brass
    large pistol primers, kinetic bullet puller

This may be redundant but here goes:
    Buy the Dillon primer flip tray, it's the best one out there.
    One set of calipers (good quality)
    I like Lyman's reloading manual the best since they use different bullets and tell you what kind of firearm they used to test the loads.
    Besides the press, you'll need dies and the appropriate shell plate if you're going with the Dillon 550. Dillon can help with what you need for the press basics when you call them. Same goes for the 650; they'll let you know what you need.
    If you're going to reload rifle, you'll need a case trimmer and a deburring tool for the case mouth after you trim.
    I like the newer spray lube for when I'm processing rifle cases.
    I buy walnut shell media at Harbor Freight Tools; good quality and the price is right.
    You'll need a powder scale to check the weight when you set up the powder magazine/thrower on the Dillon. I have an old balance beam scale and one of the newer electronic ones.
    Some sort of funnel to pour the powder into the hopper or else you could make a mess.
    Solid reloading bench to mount the press. Nothing worse than the entire thing moving every time you pull the handle down.
    Ammo boxes to store your reloads.
    Cool, dry place to store powder and primers.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    if im reloading in the garage, is it best to keep the powder in the house?

yes. The heat is bad in itself. The flucuations in temperature (in a garage for ex) can cause condensation. Is bad for powder and primers. It is safe. Just keep it out of way of flames (obvious I know).

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Probably doesn't need to be mentioned, but it's a good idea to empty the powder hopper back in to the powder can once you're done reloading. A lot of powders look alike and you wouldn't want to pour a bunch of IMR 4895 on top of some RL 19.

I store powder and primers in an old wooden parts case in the house.

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    actually their site was one that was confusing me, with all the different options. I requested one of their catalogs and i think its best to cal and talk to them when im ready to order

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The 650 is a helluva machine - I own one. BUT - if you DO buy one as a "starter loader", I will personally come to yer house an' put "DIPSTICK" signs in your front yard!!

Look - reloading is fun, but it is also D A N G E R O U S to a newby - there's a LOT you need to know, and learn, before you jump in with the "big loaders". Do yourself a favor I BEG OF YOU - buy a single stage, LEARN how the reloading process works - THEN buy the progressive!!!! I loaded tens of thousands of rounds w/a single-stage press, and don't regret for a minute the lesssons learned! It'll make you a much more competent loader down the road - and a LOT less likely to destroy a firearm/face/life!!!

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    ive been doing alot more reading and i know its dangerous, one thing i know is check check and recheck the powder level, case etc.

I think i am going to do a single stage, Lyman has a full out kit ready to go minus dies (comes with a digi scale) that i think i might pick up.

I was looking at craigslist and ebay, but something bothers me about used equipment for a newbie that doesnt know what to look for regarding machine issues

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Thanks, ls6tt - the learning curve is interesting, and I think you'll actually enjoy it! The beauty of a used single stage is that there's really nothing to be "wrong" with a used one - so don't be afraid of 'em. Then again, they're cheap enough that it ain't THAT big a deal to buy new.

What you CAN do as you're going through your learning curve is keep your eyes peeled for a good used progressive. When I bought my Dillon, I didn't worry too much about having a problem - they're guaranteed for life!

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    The 650 is a helluva machine - I own one. BUT - if you DO buy one as a "starter loader", I will personally come to yer house an' put "DIPSTICK" signs in your front yard!!

Look - reloading is fun, but it is also D A N G E R O U S to a newby - there's a LOT you need to know, and learn, before you jump in with the "big loaders". Do yourself a favor I BEG OF YOU - buy a single stage, LEARN how the reloading process works - THEN buy the progressive!!!! I loaded tens of thousands of rounds w/a single-stage press, and don't regret for a minute the lesssons learned! It'll make you a much more competent loader down the road - and a LOT less likely to destroy a firearm/face/life!!!

Couldnt have said it better myself.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I think this is the one I am going to go with.

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

thoughts?

Yes, there are dangers to reloading, just like shooting. I still vote to get the progressive. No one told you to start out with an air soft first and then buy a .45 later, did they ? If so, where is that air soft now ?

Do you know anyone that reloads. Maybe you can help them reload some rounds to get experience. I have someone doing that now. He is gonna buy his FIRST press and it will be progressive.

As far as the comment about "putting a sign in your front yard", my first and only reloading press is a Dillon 650. I had no one to help me. I just read the instructions and watched the video. Yes, there will be things you will learn on your own, but that is gonna happen with ANY press.

It aint rocket science ! Just be smart about it.

If you get that single stage, in a couple of months you will be looking to buy a progressive and that single stage will probably be collecting dust in the garage.

Just hate to see someone waste money, when , for a few bucks more, you can get what you really want in the first place.

In my opinion. Good luck either way.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yes, there are dangers to reloading, just like shooting. I still vote to get the progressive. No one told you to start out with an air soft first and then buy a .45 later, did they ? If so, where is that air soft now ?

Bet the very first instrument capable of delivering a projectile away from itself he picked up wasn't a .45, either. Look - maybe you got lucky, or maybe you just haven't found your error yet - but to recommend someone start with both a somewhat complex machine AND in an endeavor that can have deadly consequences is not having their best interests at heart. Sure - if we were talking spending hundreds that would be wasted, I'd look for an alternative as well, but we're not.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    That is the kit that I got. I still have the press set up for my rifles, though I haven't used it yet in that regard (had a whole bunch of rifle rounds from ealier and I don't want to spend the money to get dies, powder, and bullets just yet. )

So far I like it. The scale is pretty good, though mine didn't tolerated high temperatures.

I haven't used the case trimmer or the lube kit, but they seem well made.

The turret press is kind of fun. Saves a little time, compared to a single stage, but I wouldn't spend a whole lot more for a turret as opposed to a single stage.

Shop around, there is a wide variety is the prices on a kit like that.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I went the single stage route with a Hornady Lock'n'Load kit. I like being able to swap out the dies in seconds. It came with a digital scale (0.2 grain resolution :() and pretty much everything else you need except a caliper and dies. The kit does not have a case trimmer, but since I am just doing pistol ammo for now that was not important to me.

As others have said, reloading isn't rocket science, but it does require you to be organized, to concentrate, and to pay close attention to all of the details. What the single stage does is to force you to slow down, do each step in a batch, and develop good habits.

Personally, I think that I could have jumped right into a progressive, but then I am a chemist and extensive lab work teaches the above attributes. Careless chemists may not live to be as old as I am - at least with all of their appendages!

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    Ill be 100% honest, the only reason at this exact moment I am considering a single stage is that it comes in a full kit ready to go minus a few pieces (takes the leg work out of it) and when i start loading 308 a single stage for the exact seems to be the best

I am checking craigslist and its going to come to dollars and what I can find. Since I pretty much have my list I can start finding things and buying in pieces if need be

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I use a lee single stage to size 45's and reload rifle rounds. I have a lee classic turret press with auto index that reloads all pistol rounds. In some point of time Ill buy that hornady lock n load ap press.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You can't go wrong with a Lee handpress. It won't produce volume but you will develop a great feel for how each die is supposed to function. Also I highly recommend a hand priming tool instead of using a press. I own a turret press as well as the handpress but I still enjoy processing rounds with the handpress(deprime and size) while I sit on the couch and watch TV.

Top Bottom