• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Bet the very first instrument capable of delivering a projectile away from itself he picked up wasn't a .45, either. Look - maybe you got lucky, or maybe you just haven't found your error yet - but to recommend someone start with both a somewhat complex machine AND in an endeavor that can have deadly consequences is not having their best interests at heart. Sure - if we were talking spending hundreds that would be wasted, I'd look for an alternative as well, but we're not.

TexasRedneck,

I am NOY here to argue the point with you, Just wanted to tell the OP that just cuz there is some danger involved, don't mean that you have to "settle" on your equipment.

My first gun was a 12 ga.shotgun, at 11 years old. Just because driving is dangerous, don't mean that you have to first drive a VW Bug before you drive a SUV. It just means that you have to pay attention, which ever you drive .

Again, IMO, buy WHATEVER press you want, but don't let fear talk you out of a progressive.

If you ( the OP ) can read and follow simple instructions, a progressive won't be a problem.

FYI, DILLON, or any other mgf, don't say that their presses are not good for beginners. On page 5 of the 650 instruction manual, the page is dedicated to "mandatory safety measures" On that page, there is also a 800 # for tech support.

The OP can do what ever he wants and it sounds like he already made up his mind.

I just disagree that this is a "complex" machine. I agree, it CAN be dangerous. If you don't follow directions and ASK questions, with ANY press, you can get into trouble.

I hope that we can agree to disagree.
    DK Firearms

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    TexasRedneck,
    I hope that we can agree to disagree.

No problem there..

But when I can't see someone first-hand and judge their mechanical abilities, I prefer to err on the side of caution for THEIR sake. I started with a 12-gauge sxs Sauer - my boys didn't. I grew up with huntin' from the age of 7 or so - walk out the back door an' a thousand acres or more ta explore, the boys didn't - so I adjusted their huntin' lessons accordingly.
    I tend to think safety first and foremost - unless I KNOW the person involved VERY well, I try not to presume ANY level of competence for THEIR sake.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    No problem there..

But when I can't see someone first-hand and judge their mechanical abilities, I prefer to err on the side of caution for THEIR sake. I started with a 12-gauge sxs Sauer - my boys didn't. I grew up with huntin' from the age of 7 or so - walk out the back door an' a thousand acres or more ta explore, the boys didn't - so I adjusted their huntin' lessons accordingly.
    I tend to think safety first and foremost - unless I KNOW the person involved VERY well, I try not to presume ANY level of competence for THEIR sake.

I guess my approach is to give ALL the needed info and let the person decide what their level of ability is.

We BOTH seem to have the OP's best interest in mind. We just approach it differently.

Peace !

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Re:Help

I have seen this same arguement countless times on other forums, and there is no right or wrong answer. So I will give my advice, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Before you purchase anything else get a good reloading manual, like Lymans. Read it, study it. It will explain each step of the reloading process.
    If you ever plan on reloading rifle rounds then go ahead and get a single stage first. Almost everyone who has a progressive reloader also has a single stage used for rifle rounds or other steps, so the purchase won't be wasted even if you decide to get a progressive later.
    If you do purchase a progressive go ahead and spend a little extra money up front and save headache in the long term by getting a Dillon. Dillon has the best customer service in the business bar none. I recently broke a piece on my XL650 from my own mistake. Luckily I had one of Dillons $30 spare parts kits which includes just about every part you could possibly break so I was back up and running in minutes. Made a call to Dillon that evening and told them which part I broke and a new one arrived at my house 3 days later free of charge.
    The first reloader I purchased was the Dillon XL650 and I have absolutely no regrets. Just take your time and learn the machine. I have had one bad round loaded and that was because I got in a hurry when I set it up for the first time and the cartridge did not get any powder in it. After installing Dillon's powder check system on the machine I have been trouble free for the past 6 years. I purchased a RCBS Rockchucker about a year later for reloading .22-250 and .308 for long range shooting.

Dillon's website can be frustrating and confusing, so just call them. They will spend sowever much time on the phone with you it takes to set you up with what you need. Also check out [url]www.brianenos.com/forums[/URL]. Lots of good information on there and Brian in a Dillon dealer who has great prices and free shipping.

The Dillon presses come set up to load one caliber of your choice except for dies. So other than the press and carbide dies, you will also need a good caliper (preferably digital) to check dimensions, and powder scale to check charges, a primer flip tray, and a good reloading manual or three. I used my press for several years without the casefeeder so it is not a necessity. This is all thats really required to get started but more than likely you will end up adding lots of other tools to your bench over the years.

Have fun and be safe.

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    I just recieved my Dillon 550 last week. It is a awesome loader. Very easy to use. The customer service is great and the NO B.S. warranty is the best. If your going to do it, do it right. Or don't do it at all. I spent a little over 1800.00 for everything. But I also bought the best of everything. The case feeder, electronic scales, digital calipers, caliber guages, DV-2001 brass clean, media tumbler large, and extra parts kit.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I just recieved my Dillon 550 last week. It is a awesome loader. Very easy to use. The customer service is great and the NO B.S. warranty is the best. If your going to do it, do it right. Or don't do it at all. I spent a little over 1800.00 for everything. But I also bought the best of everything. The case feeder, electronic scales, digital calipers, caliber guages, DV-2001 brass clean, media tumbler large, and extra parts kit.

You trying to save money? Or just want to have the option of reloading to have more ammo avalable?

Talk about going from zero to 90. lol. That is a lot of nice stuff. I eventually got the 550b myself. Haven't gotten the case feeder, yet. I love it too.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    To start simple ..a Lyman Orange crush machine isn't a bad start with 6 hole turrett press . But if you can swing it..a Dillon RL-550-B is the way to go if possible. Mine was $ 298.95 back in 1996. I have no idea what todays prices are. Both machines you can stroke to your hearts content and be happy afterwards. Let your Conscience be your guide ... good luck.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I read the whole thread and agree with almost everything stated here. With your permission, I'll give some more 2 cents worth.

I started loading on LEE Loaders in 1966. Those little loaders made thousands of rounds of .45 and .357 Mag and cost no more that $15 back then. I was a college student and had absolutely no money. Had a Lyman hand (caliper) tool but didn't like the pain it caused! The point is that throwing buckets of money at the reloading project isn't the way to go! I still have the Lee Loaders and have no doubt that I could tap out a few rounds on them anytime.

The RCBS Rock Chucker was next and we loaded on it for many years. It's still here and it's still in use. Now, however, I use it for rifle rounds. Had 2 Dillon RL450 progressives and used one for large pistol primers and one for small pistol primers. Sold both of them then bought a used RL 450 - my 3rd one.

I agree totally that a progressive loader is for experienced reloaders. There is a lot of stuff to adjust and it's hard to get a feel for what is actually happening on a progressive. When something goes wrong, you can mess up mucho stuff before you get it right. I like Dillon because of their iron clad guarantee and their help is only a phone call away. All brands have strong and weak points but if there was any junk around, it would have disappeared long ago. Competition is just too strong.

Brands? Buy what you have a good source for. I like RCBS but if a good source for Lyman or something else was close, I'd buy that.

I bought 5-6 powder measures and have them set up for various powder charges. That helps a lot but always double check the charges before using them.

Please learn the reloading correctly and grow into a progressive. After buying a quality press, it will outlive you and it can be used for rifle rounds later.

So..............my advice? Single stage press, dies. Stay with the same die brand 'cause the repair parts will all be the same, then. Digital scale. Beam scales are way too easy to misread and are very slow. Add a Primer flipper, hand or bench priming tool, lube pad & lube or spray if you wish, primer pocket cleaner (brush), couple of loading blocks, chamfer tool, vibrating media cleaner.

You can save a bundle if you shop around. Harbor Freight has vibratory cleaners, measuring calipers and media and I found out ONE of their digital scales reads in grains so I popped for one ($10). My other digital scales are RCBS and cost about $90. I checked the HF scale with scale weight standards and they are right on.

Cabelas is a good source, Dillon sells direct. Midway has lots of goodies and they are terrific folks.

OH....Regarding this "grain" business..........there are 7000 grains to the pound.

Good luck and have fun!

Flash

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    start with a rock chucker you will never find anything that takes its place you will move up to a progressive but there is always a need for a single stage ...always !
    I can load 100 rounds an hour on my rcbs rock chucker and very very seldom make a mistake unless i am distracted , the dillons are nice but expensive , if you start out with a dillon and decide you dont want to reload you are out a bunch of cash.
    another fine choice is the hornady lock and load press , that will be my next press .with a dillon you are forced to use their dies ,shell holders and etc so if you start with a single stage all of your dies are useless in the dillon. plus right now if you buy a hornady they give you a thousand free bullets hey that makes the press real cheap. just my 2 cents.

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will wait for some input before i jump into a dillon I know one ofthe guys one here has one out in his loading shop but never really asked about it.
    I think if I do go that route it will have to have all the bells and whistles case loader bullet loader electric handle puller back scratcher you name it .I just know when i do it it will be a couple grand spent in one day, money I could be spending on a good 1911 or a few of them Kimbers. but that will come later on I may run into a deal after all the craze settles down a bit. and those who bought just to have start selling them at a loss.......

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "So..............my advice? Single stage press, dies. Stay with the same die brand 'cause the repair parts will all be the same, then. Digital scale. Beam scales are way too easy to misread and are very slow. Add a Primer flipper, hand or bench priming tool, lube pad & lube or spray if you wish, primer pocket cleaner (brush), couple of loading blocks, chamfer tool, vibrating media cleaner."

and add a small trash can for the brass that you mess up on the first few times at the bench.

seriously, another must at the bench is good lighting so you can see what you are doing ,and another is a decent size organizer with drawers to keep small stuff in ,and small plastic bins to keep assorted brass and bullets in ,is always handy.

the most important thing you can have in reloading is knowledge ! get many manuals , how to books and learn the web sights for reference.
    one of the best i have found is reloadbench.com there are many many old times thre that just love to help with any question you have about reloading or even building a rifle !

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yep - yer right, JunkyGuns....ah paid a whole $300 for that 650 of mine, and am lucky ta do 600 rph outta it....<G>

Nice deal. (I'm not bitter. . . . oh, not much : P )

I think the 650's and 550's can do rifle rounds, though I wouldn't expect make extreme precision rifle rounds that a lot of the precision shooters want. Besides, how many rounds of 300 weatherby are you going to need?

I think it is just a matter of preference to do rifles on a single state. (at least I do. I usually only do 20 rounds at a time. )

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    texas 42,

I agree with you completely , I wouldn't bet the shot of a lifetime on what a progressive press would shake out, loading any type of accuracy requires constants such as powder weight and seating depth I am sure a dillon is a nice press but i will stick to my rcbs for now and it isn't the costthat drives me away from it . It is the simplicity of the single stage It isn't going to jam or get out of sync.

Top Bottom