• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    Hi all,

I want to get into skeet and trap shooting and hunting and as a first gun I want get something around $300 or less (I don't have much to spend :( ). I am planning to buy something used and I would prefer something with wooden furniture if possible. Are there any types of high quality guns that sell for these prices (at least used)? I bought my Mossberg 590 used for $320 so know there are options in this range, but I would rather get a classier, dedicated skeet/hunting gun than a new barrel for the Mossberg.

I would also appreciate any advice on what kind of gun to get (over-under, double barrel, or pump)?

Also, you probably noticed that I didn't specify what I am planning to hunt for and that is because I don't yet hunt, but want to buy something that will give me as many options down the road if possible while still being great for skeet and trap.

If I am being ignorant and there is no such firearm that will satisfy all these roles by simply changing out the chokes, I am sorry and didn't realize that that was the case. :/

Thank you all for the help!
    DK Firearms

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I bought my Mossberg Maverick 88 for 179$ with the 28" barrel. Then I bought a 18.5" HD barrel. For the price you can't beat it. I have put probably 1000 rounds on just the initial cleaning. It goes bang every time.

My buddy has the Winchester SXP supposedly the "fastest" cycling pump on the market. And I cycled and fired just as fast as him side by side.

commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    The Maverick 88 is what I was actually originally going to buy, but to be honest, I would like something with wooden furniture. I know it is a great shotgun for the price, but I really want to at least try to find something just as good, but in a different style that better appeals to me.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I see Remington 870 express 12 gauge shotguns pretty regularly for less than $200. The wood on the new ones is a bit cheesy but a little scuffing and application of flat black spray paint gets you to the "tactical" black.

I picked up an 870 Wingmaster made in 1972 in beautiful condition last week. It's hard to beat the appearance of an old Wingmaster!

Flash

Laser1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2015
    My first skeet gun was a Yildiz over and under that I bought at Academy several years ago. The price was in the neighborhood you're looking at and the gun has performed very well. While I shoot mostly trap now with my BT99+, I still use the Yildiz occasionally for trap and sporting clays. Nice gun for the money and comes with screw in chokes.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As I get older, my prejudice in favor of the Remington 1100 gets even stronger! That semi auto 12 gauge 1100 is the softest recoiling shotgun that I've ever fired. Old men need to consider recoil very carefully!

On a trip to the range with the electric trap, we usually fire 200 rounds, each. I shot a fraction of that number with 870 and Mossberg 88 pumps and came home wishing that I had a sling for my arm! With the 1100, the shoulder tingles but not much more after 200 rounds!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    An unsung factor in favor of the 1100 Remington is the availability and low cost of maintenance/repair parts.

Midway, Brownells and lots of easily accessible vendors have the 1100 parts and they are cheap!

Here's a typical list to make an older 1100 good as new:
    Piston assembly.about $20
    Gas piston O ring....about $5-$8 per little bag.
    Main (recoil) spring.......$5
    Magazine spring.....$5
    Bolt buffer........$5
    Extractor.......$17

Every older 1100 that I've owned, got the whole treatment of the above parts and the shotguns will outlive me!

Here's a quote from Wikapedia:

"The Model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20. Breaking this record has been attempted with several other models of semi-auto shotguns but has yet to be broken."

Flash

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If you're going to use it to hunt and shoot skeet you'll really need something with changeable chokes.

I shot hot skeet for years with an 870 and did fine. However, once I got a nice O/U, Winchester 101, the 870 got relegated to HD.

i would recommend a good pump with adjustable chokes to start with. Either a new 870 Express or find a used 870 Wingmaster. Once you decide whether or not you really like skeet or trap or Sporting Clays you can save up your pennies and buy a purpose built gun.

goondocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2015
    Benelli Nova. Change chokes and people turn their noses at you when you show up with your black synthetic pump

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    My first skeet gun was a Yildiz over and under that I bought at Academy several years ago. The price was in the neighborhood you're looking at and the gun has performed very well. While I shoot mostly trap now with my BT99+, I still use the Yildiz occasionally for trap and sporting clays. Nice gun for the money and comes with screw in chokes.

I’ll second the Yildiz O/U.

Bought a 20 youth for my son 2 years ago and it’s been awesome. The Turkish walnut stock is spectacular.

It cost around $500, though. They also have autos in the same price range.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have an 1100 Lt 20 Skeet Grade that I regularly use for new shooters, kids, and ladies. On a similar note the first time I took one of my grandson's to the range and introduced him to trap shooting he ran 23-24 the first 2 rounds using his Mossberg 500 (I think that's the number). I don't remember if it had changeable chokes. But he has been hunting all his life and was abt 25-26 at the time. It's not the gun it's the shooter.

Laser1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2015

The Yildiz was my first skeet gun as well. The gun is light and shoots well. Because it's so light it kicks like a mule. I purchased a limb saver and that made the gun much more comfortable to shoot. Also had a firing pin break and I couldn't get a replacement at the time and worked around it by having a machinist make a new firing pin. Overall, a very good beginner's gun for skeet but not so much for trap

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    On a $300 budget your best choices will be a used Remington 1100, Wingmaster or a Mossberg 500 with screw in chokes.
    Shotgun target sports require a gun with superior longevity. 100 targets a day once or twice a week for any length of time will weed out the weaker brands.
    Mid range skeet or trap guns begin at $1000 used.

Top Bottom