Good .22 rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Dust, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

Good rimfire rifle

The fiancee is interested in shooting, and I think that a .22 is where she needs to start. Selling the Savage .308 I just bought to help get a new gun for her. Been looking at the 10/22 because we have a few, but I don't know what else is out there. Interested in something accurate(as accurate as a .22 can be), and wanted to know what was out there. What do you shoot, and what do and don't you recommend. If I find something I really like she will get the 10/22 and I can get what I want.

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    If you want something really fun, how about a Ciener .22LR conversion for your AR or a .22 target rifle?

If she's interested in handguns, there are a lot of inexpensive pistols out there. .22's tend to pretty dang accurate, unless you just get a piece of junk. buy something decent and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever it is.

I normally shoot .45's, but still love plinking the .22.

3. Dust

Dust Active Member

When and if the AR gets here it will be considered. What kind of target rifle are you refering to? we have a few 22 pistols.

I just joined rimfirecentral, and I see some finished guns on there I may check out.

4. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I can't help much with target rifles. Most are based on the 10/22 action with fluted bull barrels and such. I have the standard 10/22 carbine and a Ciener for my AR.

5. Peter M. Eick

Peter M. Eick Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    Take a look at the CZ452. I admit that the bolt action is not the best for burning rounds up but for raw accuracy at a reasonable price it is the way to go.

6. Dust

Dust Active Member

I've been thinking about it. but I don't think I have seen many of them lately

7. jimmy-buffett

jimmy-buffett New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Any bolt action with a decent optic will have you knocking the push-pins off of your paper target at 50 yards. My Marlin bolt-action does this with a 9-power scope with surprising regularity. If you are looking to shoot small things at 50 yards, you might want to go with a bolt action. Any one will likely do, I like my Marlin.

Anything farther/more precise than this out of a .22 and you start to run into the limitations of the ammunition. Transferring the round to the chamber will potentially deform the lead bullet, impacting accuracy. Muzzle velocity will be inconsistent due to powder ($.02-.03 per round will do that).

Earlier this year I built two .22's to take a suppressor that I had coming in, one a rifle (a 10/22 with new barrel and stock) and one a pistol (a Browning Buckmark with new barrel). At first I thought "I'm going to buy the best ammo out there", and then I read some of the ammo testing and decided that it wasn't worth $30-40 a box for "match quality" .22 ammo. Yeah the difference is there, but that price is just ridiculous.

For maximum fun shooting cans at 10-25 yards, just get a 10/22 with some high capacity mags and the $3-4 per 100 boxes of .22 ammo. I know it's a little cliched to run into a .22 thread and say "10/22!!!!", but for what you are wanting, the 10/22 will be just fine and the available accessories will keep it interesting.

8. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I was at a pawn shop the other day and saw a Henry Repeating Arms pump 22 that looked pretty cool. It comes in 3 models: basic, target, and magnum target.

I never shot one, but it looked like a very well made gun and a viable option to the 10/22. The one I saw was the target model (H003T) for sale at $399 with an MSRP of $499. I'm seriously considering this over the 10/22 for my wife to learn shooting a rifle (she's great with a pistol).

9. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've got a Savage 64F that I used to teach my kids on. It's a semi-auto with a 10-round magazine and can be had brand new for just a bit over 1 bill. IIRC, I bought mine at Wally World for $120 out the door. It's perfect for plinking and the kids love it. I'm pretty good with it too!

10. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My Marlin tube-fed .22 was the first firearm I ever bought, I've probably put 10k rounds through it since I purchased it 7 years ago. It's a great rifle that's plenty accurate for the price I paid ($149 new).