• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    Good rimfire rifle

The fiancee is interested in shooting, and I think that a .22 is where she needs to start. Selling the Savage .308 I just bought to help get a new gun for her. Been looking at the 10/22 because we have a few, but I don't know what else is out there. Interested in something accurate(as accurate as a .22 can be), and wanted to know what was out there. What do you shoot, and what do and don't you recommend. If I find something I really like she will get the 10/22 and I can get what I want.
    Gun Zone Deals

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    If you want something really fun, how about a Ciener .22LR conversion for your AR or a .22 target rifle?

If she's interested in handguns, there are a lot of inexpensive pistols out there. .22's tend to pretty dang accurate, unless you just get a piece of junk. buy something decent and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever it is.

I normally shoot .45's, but still love plinking the .22.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    When and if the AR gets here it will be considered. What kind of target rifle are you refering to? we have a few 22 pistols.

I just joined rimfirecentral, and I see some finished guns on there I may check out.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    Take a look at the CZ452. I admit that the bolt action is not the best for burning rounds up but for raw accuracy at a reasonable price it is the way to go.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Any bolt action with a decent optic will have you knocking the push-pins off of your paper target at 50 yards. My Marlin bolt-action does this with a 9-power scope with surprising regularity. If you are looking to shoot small things at 50 yards, you might want to go with a bolt action. Any one will likely do, I like my Marlin.

Anything farther/more precise than this out of a .22 and you start to run into the limitations of the ammunition. Transferring the round to the chamber will potentially deform the lead bullet, impacting accuracy. Muzzle velocity will be inconsistent due to powder ($.02-.03 per round will do that).

Earlier this year I built two .22's to take a suppressor that I had coming in, one a rifle (a 10/22 with new barrel and stock) and one a pistol (a Browning Buckmark with new barrel). At first I thought "I'm going to buy the best ammo out there", and then I read some of the ammo testing and decided that it wasn't worth $30-40 a box for "match quality" .22 ammo. Yeah the difference is there, but that price is just ridiculous.

For maximum fun shooting cans at 10-25 yards, just get a 10/22 with some high capacity mags and the $3-4 per 100 boxes of .22 ammo. I know it's a little cliched to run into a .22 thread and say "10/22!!!!", but for what you are wanting, the 10/22 will be just fine and the available accessories will keep it interesting.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I was at a pawn shop the other day and saw a Henry Repeating Arms pump 22 that looked pretty cool. It comes in 3 models: basic, target, and magnum target.

I never shot one, but it looked like a very well made gun and a viable option to the 10/22. The one I saw was the target model (H003T) for sale at $399 with an MSRP of $499. I'm seriously considering this over the 10/22 for my wife to learn shooting a rifle (she's great with a pistol).

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've got a Savage 64F that I used to teach my kids on. It's a semi-auto with a 10-round magazine and can be had brand new for just a bit over 1 bill. IIRC, I bought mine at Wally World for $120 out the door. It's perfect for plinking and the kids love it. I'm pretty good with it too!

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My Marlin tube-fed .22 was the first firearm I ever bought, I've probably put 10k rounds through it since I purchased it 7 years ago. It's a great rifle that's plenty accurate for the price I paid ($149 new).

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    I am trying to decide on a accuracy gun, and deciding between a modded 10/22 or a CZ452. Any thoughts. I like the idea of Paco Kelly's accurizer, but do not think it will work in a semi-auto.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The CZ is probably going to be the most accurate out of the box. The 10/22 is very customizable, but you can spend a fortune on parts. There are many companies that make barrels for the 10/22, some of which I've heard will get accuracy down to 1/2" at 100 yards with decent ammunition.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The only thing that worries me is the price of the CZ. I will check around at some pawn shops and see what there is in stock.

The CZ is more of an up front cost while the 10/22 is more spread out. You would probably end up spending a good bit either way.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    There are more aftermarket parts available for the 10-22 than any other rimfire, I have one that is stock, with a red dot sight on it and another that has a new barrel and stock with a 3x9 scope and an aftermarket hammer and sear. I f you get the Ruger the first thing I would do is get a trigger job done.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Marlin 60. Cheap, accurate, plentiful. My favorite gun is an old Ithaca model 49 single shot I bought at a gun show for $40 in 1986. It makes every trip to the range regardless of what else goes. H&R Handi Rifle in .22 can be had for less than $150 and are a hoot to shoot. Good beginner gun too. Hit the pawn shops, tons of cheap old shooters out there.

yam13f

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    nacogdoches, tx
    get yourself a gsg-5, and give her the 10/22. my gsg is my favorite shooter(ammo cost), and is a huge hit at the range. everybody wants to put their hands on that thing, lol. another good thing is, they accept standard airsoft parts, so stock options abound.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    My first semi-automatic .22 was a Remington 552 Speedmaster (1964). Shot thousands of rounds thru it when I was a kid and still shoots good. Checkout those Remington rimfire's...the Model 5 is also a great gun if you want a bolt action...they're built like the big boys. Now I mostly shoot a 10-22 with a Simmons 4X and it's also a good cheap rifle, and adequate for it's intended purpose. If you are considering a .17 HMR, I have been shooting a Marlin 917 VS with a Simmons 3X9 .22 Mag Target scope for a couple of years and have yet to miss an intended target. The .17 ammo is not inexpensive and wouldn't consider it to be a 'plinker'.It all boils down to...How much money you want to put into one? Rimfires are similar to opinions...everybody's got one or twelve.

Top Bottom