• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I don't go by the object in the scope when explaining "eye relief". I show the pictures and tell them to look for the sharp crosshairs AND the full view. First is correct, note sharp edges of back of scope and no fuzz. Second is too far back. Third is too close.

IMG_2765 (Medium).jpeg
    IMG_2766 (Medium).jpeg
    IMG_2767 (Medium).jpeg

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Soooo... of course I'm shopping for a scope and while price can be a leading indicator of quality it may not always be the best way to determine features + quality = Value. Guess the question is what features/capabilities should come into the decision making process? A list of what I think is important to me would included the following:

1.) 1x10(or 8) magnification. Why? The 1 is self-explanatory. The x10 I'm thinking would help me at distances as close as 100 yds and of course beyond. This involves mostly range/bench situation(@1-200 yds w/x10) where I have time to locate the target in the limited field of view x10 @ 100 yards is going to provide. Then of course x10 would benefit shots well beyond 100 yds. I made this choice after reading a review/opinion piece where the shooter had used a x6 LPVO setting and stated it would of been better for his aging eyes if he had a x8 option. Well hell.... if x8 is good then x10 ought'a be better!

2.) I said the 1x was self-explanatory but I'll explain so maybe additional information will evolve. I want rapid target acquisition at close range. From what I read 1x is the first choice one makes to attain that goal. What I don't know about is eye relief. I would assume a broader range specified by the manufacturer is the way to go. So when reading specs. one states Eye Relief: 3" - 4" would be better than one that states Eye Relief: 3" - 3.5".

3.) Illuminated recital - Low light/night conditions. Battery replacement w/o re-aiming. I think that's pretty much standard on LPVO vs Red Dot optics. Correct me if I'm assuming too much here.

Those are the three feature driven issues that I've come across that stood out. Quality driven issues I need some help on what to look for. What does quality glass provide that a less cost/quality won't? What else drives a decision to spend more for what, on the surface, appears to be equal "features" specifications between two LPVO's?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Glass clarity.
    How much light does the glass allow into the scope.

Both hard to determine just by looking at specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Typically the optimal eye relief changes when you change the magnification. The higher you go the less forgiving it is and closer you need to put your face to the lens.

So if you get a scope with eye relief numbers 3" to 17" just because the numbers are bigger you'll end up screwing yourself.

I recommend trying some demo models or friend's to figure what works better for you before blowing a wad of cash.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Glass clarity.
    How much light does the glass allow into the scope.

Both hard to determine just by looking at specs.

Yup... so I'm finding out. Thus far... I've considered the Trijicon Credo HX 1-8x28 @ $1,199.00(best internet price) and the Vortex HD Gen III 1-10x24 @$1,999.00(Best internet price). Both are FFP optics, both configured for MOA reticle, both illuminated. The Trijicon isn't really getting very good reviews where the Vortex is pretty much off the charts with rave reviews. Granted there's an $800.00 delta between the two. There is the option of a Vortex Gen II-E for $1,399.00 but there's a lot left on the table when taking that route.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Typically the optimal eye relief changes when you change the magnification. The higher you go the less forgiving it is and closer you need to put your face to the lens.

So if you get a scope with eye relief numbers 3" to 17" just because the numbers are bigger you'll end up screwing yourself.

I recommend trying some demo models or friend's to figure what works better for you before blowing a wad of cash.
    Watched a video of the Vortex HD Gen III. The guy doing the video actually showed, with head movement, the differences in both eye relief and eye box distances when dialed down to 1x or dialed up to 10x. Eye box was one of the complaints with the Trijicon I encountered.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    These guys have amazing POV camera angles thru the glass. Good comparison with the vortex 1-10 here:

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Yup... so I'm finding out. Thus far... I've considered the Trijicon Credo HX 1-8x28 @ $1,199.00(best internet price) and the Vortex HD Gen III 1-10x24 @$1,999.00(Best internet price). Both are FFP optics, both configured for MOA reticle, both illuminated. The Trijicon isn't really getting very good reviews where the Vortex is pretty much off the charts with rave reviews. Granted there's an $800.00 delta between the two. There is the option of a Vortex Gen II-E for $1,399.00 but there's a lot left on the table when taking that route.

Good luck finding the Vortex HD Gen III 1-10x24, like friggin unobtainium lately...(though it looks seriously badass).

Also, I don't necessarily agree that the Vortex Gen II-E 1×6 leaves all that much to be desired...I actually have this one (MRAD), and while I've been on the lookout for the Gen3 due to size & magnification improvements, the Gen2-E is fantastic glass...

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Good luck finding the Vortex HD Gen III 1-10x24, like friggin unobtainium lately...(though it looks seriously badass).

Also, I don't necessarily agree that the Vortex Gen II-E 1×6 leaves all that much to be desired...I actually have this one (MRAD), and while I've been on the lookout for the Gen3 due to size & magnification improvements, the Gen2-E is fantastic glass...
    LOL... yeah looks like the Gen III mite be just a tad difficult to locate - which has me considering other options. I've actually got a PSA AR15 coming as well as the LaRue so it's not like I couldn't find a home for the GEN II so I may consider that as an option as well. Thanks for the input on your experience with the Gen IIE!

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    If your budget is that high, then you need to read this:

Notice all the “experts” picked a few of the same ones over and over.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    If your budget is that high, then you need to read this:

Notice all the “experts” picked a few of the same ones over and over.
    Geee Thanks!!!! Now I'm back to B1S1! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But really, @ $2K I'm at the top of my budget fer sure!!! Just dropped $1,500.00 for Lowrance Active Target sonar for the boat as well. One of the problems with that one guy dissing Vortex is my research has been nothing but positive with the Razor HD Gen III 1x10-24. I've only gone through the link you posted once kinna quick. When I get to the shop in the morning I'll pull it up on desktop and give it a hard read. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom