• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's a video.... The article was posted earlier... Your curiosity on how I choose to access the internet is, shall we say, intriguing!
    Sorry, didn't know it was a video, you did say read, after all.
    Your reasoning makes sense now.

I used to watch/read more stuff at work, rather than home, myself.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    My phukin' head is spinning! I may just drop spending =<1k until I get some personal experience to find out what is important to me. In the one video I watched he stated "you can figure 1x per 100 yards..." So in reality a 1-4x or 1-6x is all I'll really, really need. The problem crops up with a 1-4x in getting all the quality aspects, glass, adjustment granuallity .25 MOA vs .5MOA+, etc.... at that magnification level. A 1x6 or 1x8 seems to eliminate that problem. Because I do have 2 AR15's coming whatever I get won't be wasted.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    I have three entry level LPVO's. None of these are in the class you're shopping in, though.

I have a PA Classic 1-4x on a 15-22. It's really incredible to me how nice this thing is for $130. It's got a simple reticle with an illuminated dot. The throw lever stinks and it's stiff to change magnifications. I'll probably try 3D printing something one day to help with this.
    I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x that's not mounted on anything right now. It has the BDC3 reticle with holds & ranging capability. I plan on putting this on a CZ 457 American, when it ever shows up.
    The nicest one I have is a Steiner P4xi 1-4x on a 1.93 mount on my BCM 16" AR. The glass is noticeably better than the others, the reticle is daylight bright & I find it to be just as fast as a red dot up close. It's quite a bit heavier than a red dot though, which is the downside.

I went from the Vortex to the Steiner on my AR because I read too much. The Steiner is nice, I don't miss the magnification, but I think if I was honest with myself and kept shooting the Strike Eagle I would have been fine with it. The Arfcom experts got in my head & I drunk bought it one night. :)

You're welcome to check all of these out if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Thanks! I was looking at a Steiner just a little earlier - had some decent specs. I may just take you up on your offer! Thanks!!!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    These guys have amazing POV camera angles thru the glass. Good comparison with the vortex 1-10 here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He did have some really good POV shots. But... I really struggled to understand exactly what he was saying. His manner of speaking with the rumba crap going off in the back ground I had a lot of trouble following his dialog. So... when I combined the audio with the pretty fast paced video... I'm afraid I didn't get as much as I could have from the experience. One thing I did note is on a few of the long range targets 300 and 400(I think) with the Vortex the targets looked blurred. The background and all looked fine just those white targets. Then when it got to the most distant the targets focus cleared up.

I was surprised in the several categories that the Nightforce didn't do very well in. All in all I'd say, for me, the Razor is still a viable option. I'm not lugging the AR15 for hours/days at a time so I'm no real sure how much of a negative factor "weight" would be.

Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom